GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Webserver 2 down"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/11/09 at 16:08
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
Webserver 2 - Standard Hosting is currently unavailable to HTTP (FTP still working)...

Thanks in advance,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/11/09 at 19:09
Staff
Hmmm... wrote:
> ncrs wrote:
> I've taken down a user on the server that I believe was causing
> the problems, so touch wood, the server should now be sorted.
>
> Without giving too much away(!) can you say what 1 user can do to
> cause such an outage? I can understand users creating performance
> problems but this was much worse.
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]

I believe that ultimately this was just a performance problem, due to a unsecure user script however I'd rather not give people ideas, as its a problem that can't really be locked down without removing a lot of functionality from scripts on the server.

Suffice to say that I had suspended the account in question previously (a long time ago) for similar issues, and the website concerned will not be returning again.
Wed 25/11/09 at 17:51
"Are you sure?"
ncrs wrote:
> I've taken down a user on the server that I believe was causing
> the problems, so touch wood, the server should now be sorted.

Without giving too much away(!) can you say what 1 user can do to cause such an outage? I can understand users creating performance problems but this was much worse.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/11/09 at 17:26
Staff
I've taken down a user on the server that I believe was causing the problems, so touch wood, the server should now be sorted.
Wed 25/11/09 at 17:20
"Are you sure?"
Looks like we're back in business now! :¬)

Thanks everyone...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:37
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
If a fault was appearing previously in the 'Closed/Resolved' list but somebody opened it again, editing it to an ongoing issue, this would update it from an archived fault to a live one and removing it from said list.

I agree this list can be useful for the customers that check that page, which is why we have that section on there.
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:28
"Are you sure?"
Normally you leave the 'closed/resolved' issues on the Status page for a day or so, so that people can see a log of recent outages/issues.

This can be useful for customers.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Yes, it was resolved but then it got ill again.
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:22
"Are you sure?"
Yep - also noticed you deleted the entry from the status page???
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:20
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It's being looked into. I guess no one noticed it had a problem last night even though I updated the status page at 12am:)
Wed 25/11/09 at 16:17
"Are you sure?"
Yep.

NB. The status page now has an entry for this 'minor' problem.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.