GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Console Wars", why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/07/01 at 18:14
Regular
The ‘console wars’ battle has been an ongoing event right at the start of videogaming competition. The battle comes from fans of a certain console slagging off another console often without facts to base their opinion on. ukchatforums.com is often full of console wars and of how a certain console is rubbish and how the one they own is the best.
Every console that is released offers a different type of gameplay to the user in their own ways and all of them are worth owing.
Sony are going to try to fulfill all your video gaming needs with the Playstation 2 so that you do not go out then and support their rivals Nintendo in purchasing their Gamecube machine. Each console trys to offer games in a certain genre that match their competitors. However, there are occasions when this is not possible due to exclusive console deals. For instance driving fans will not get a better experience than with Gran Turismo 3 : A-Spec on Playstation 2. Fans of platformers cannot get much better that some of the N64s classics in Mario and Zelda.
My point in this forum is that each console is unique and the consoles are not trying to compliment each other. They all try to offer a great experience that means gamers will not be tempted to buy another console.
The console war is built mostly around jealousy towards the exclusive games of a console but shouldn’t we not just concentrate on the console we have and talking about how good the Playstation 2 is and not how bad the X-Box is?
The owner of an individual console is always going to favour their own, it is natural.
We should be complimenting the likes of Sony and Nintendo not slagging them off through jealousy.
I am a proud owner of a Playstatiuon 2 and am very happy with it. It is the best console I have ever owned. However, I understand that Gamecube, Dreamcast and X-Box owners will also have a great experience with their consoles – the video game world is now full of talent that we should cherish, not destroy.
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:14
The ‘console wars’ battle has been an ongoing event right at the start of videogaming competition. The battle comes from fans of a certain console slagging off another console often without facts to base their opinion on. ukchatforums.com is often full of console wars and of how a certain console is rubbish and how the one they own is the best.
Every console that is released offers a different type of gameplay to the user in their own ways and all of them are worth owing.
Sony are going to try to fulfill all your video gaming needs with the Playstation 2 so that you do not go out then and support their rivals Nintendo in purchasing their Gamecube machine. Each console trys to offer games in a certain genre that match their competitors. However, there are occasions when this is not possible due to exclusive console deals. For instance driving fans will not get a better experience than with Gran Turismo 3 : A-Spec on Playstation 2. Fans of platformers cannot get much better that some of the N64s classics in Mario and Zelda.
My point in this forum is that each console is unique and the consoles are not trying to compliment each other. They all try to offer a great experience that means gamers will not be tempted to buy another console.
The console war is built mostly around jealousy towards the exclusive games of a console but shouldn’t we not just concentrate on the console we have and talking about how good the Playstation 2 is and not how bad the X-Box is?
The owner of an individual console is always going to favour their own, it is natural.
We should be complimenting the likes of Sony and Nintendo not slagging them off through jealousy.
I am a proud owner of a Playstatiuon 2 and am very happy with it. It is the best console I have ever owned. However, I understand that Gamecube, Dreamcast and X-Box owners will also have a great experience with their consoles – the video game world is now full of talent that we should cherish, not destroy.
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:20
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Nuthing wrong with a little competition. Its what makes video games so fun. Producers battling to make the best game or console. Isn't that a good thing!
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:21
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
But...can't I still write anti-Nintendo stuff for the fun of it? I love watching Ninty's get angry, it's quite amusing.

FM: Diplomat, Politician, United Gamers' Ambassador.
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:38
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
I no..especially when the odd microsoft fan comes on the forum...we wud fry him :)
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:52
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> But...can't I still write anti-Nintendo stuff for the fun of it? I
> love watching Ninty's get angry, it's quite amusing.

Hey shut up FM. What the hell do you know.

:) haha.
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:55
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
The_Vottanator wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
> But...can't I still write anti-Nintendo
> stuff for the fun of it? I
> love watching Ninty's get angry,
> it's quite amusing.

Hey shut up FM. What the hell do you
> know.

:) haha.

He knows alot more than u :P
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:13
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
i agree ben
i am a proud owner of nes,snes,n64 gameboy and im gettin GC.
but i know that PS, DC and microsoft fans all r very proud of thier consoles.
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:26
Because of all this criticism, I have been forced to take a totally unbiased view, in fear of people like Khazar who will most definitely tell me to shut up if I said Nintendo consoles are great. Whoops, done it again.

Why are there console wars? To bring out the anger in people.
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:37
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Yep total agreement with everyone here, there's absolutely no reason for console wars between end users, although of course from a business point of few console wars between manufacturers are entirely justified, we're just the cannon fodder.

When it comes to the forums though, one of my few moments of jolly japery comes from pointing out 'muddy graphics' here or 'kiddie biased' games there and watching a thread go up in flames fuelled by the intense heat of Ninty passion. I don't know why it's fun, it just is. A bit like pulling the legs off flies.

It's also a trait very peculiar to the Ninty, and no other console supporter, that they defend their console so vehemently. PSX, PS2, DC, even Saturn owners don't go to the great lengths that the Ninty will to defend their chosen plaything. Why IS that?

Discuss.

:-)
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:42
FM with another topic decider.

To answer your question, it's because deep down, every PS, PS2 etc. owner (except Nintendo uns) know that their console won't be a classic console to look back on, because it'll be replace by a successor in 5 year increments.
It could also be because Nintendo have some sort of subconcious way that MAKES you more loyal to the Nintendo cause every time you play one of it's games on their consoles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.