GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fable looks immense...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fable'.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:20
Regular
Wasn't really looking forward to this game much until I watched the E3 video's and developer commentaries on IGN. I doubt it'll quite live up to all the hype it's getting, but it looks damn excellent all the same.

I want to be a hero by day with a wife and kids. Then by night be the village mentalist, running round streaking, punching people in their faces and farting in their general direction.

Gah! I want this game really bad.
Tue 01/06/04 at 23:51
Regular
"Touched!"
Gotta agree about Black & White, I rushed out to buy it on release, loaded it up and thought "What is all of the fuss about" a very average game which had some much hype and promise and ultimately failed.
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:49
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
So, er, buy it or you'll have me to deal with?
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
One of my mates worked on the AI for Fable, apparently. Haven't seen him for while, but he's one of those genuine genius people - like Stephen Hawkings, but without the wheelchair. Which is probably a good thing, but bad for marketing him as a product as wheelchairs allow for so many more accessories.
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:46
Regular
Hmm... well that puts everything into a whole new light.

I too had Black & White. I sold it after reaching the third island and realising it was incredibly repetitive, boring and offered little reward for carrying out identical actions over and over again.
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Just be warned, it's Lionhead.
The company that promised sooo much with Black & White yet delivered a distinctly average game - with many of the features hyped in Fable.

SEE! Your avatar age and keep the scars from youth
CHANGE! Your appearance depending on exercise, diet, workouts
AFFECT! Your environment as you evolve
INTERACT! With villagers and make decisions
GROW OLD! Age with the passing of time
GOOD OR EVIL?! Choose your alignment

When all you did was spend a few hours training your pet, only to then spend weeks micro-managing villages whilst your creature wandered about and sat down.
50% of the promised features were missing, a generally weak and uninspired game and a whole mountain of hype.
The reviews should have read "Play with your avatar, force feed him and then get bored and turn off"
Initially I was into Fable, but having remembered an identical surge of marketing silvertongue from Molyneux, I'm waiting to read a lot of reviews and customer opinions before I trust Lionhead's marketing again.
Tue 01/06/04 at 21:33
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Wasn't really looking forward to this game much until I watched the E3
> video's and developer commentaries on IGN.

I'm afraid I'm somewhat the opposite.

I was really looking forward to what I was hoping to be an epic of Morrowind proportions - a free-roaming RPG to fill the gap between now and KOTOR 2. Unfortunately, what I got from the E3 videos was very underwhelming and disappointing.

I haven't given up all hope - perhaps I should check out the developer commentaries you speak of - but I was expecting so much more. It looks and feels a lot more closed in, and doesn't seem to have come along much since it was first unveiled.

Besides, those accents on the characters really grate.
Tue 01/06/04 at 19:14
"Goodbye Cruel World"
Yeah i agree the freedom aspect of it is what is going to sell the game. The ability to choose how your character handles each situation is going to great, especially seeing as it will have an effect on what happens.

However you have to be pulled into the game, and essentially a giant story plot, somehow otherwise the player is going to lose intrest real quick.

I reckon its gonna be interesting to see exactly how the developers are goning to put all of their ideas togethor :D
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:53
Regular
It's not just the way you scar in battle and the way your characters appearance changes depending on what weapons you use and if you're out in the sun long.

The interaction with the world around you and the freedom really looks amazing. I loved the interaction with NPC's and exploring villages in games like Zelda, and by the looks of things this is gonna be so much more. It's up to you how you want to play the game, this kind of freedom is something that Zelda is really lacking.
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:23
Regular
"tokyo police club"
From what I've read, Harvest moon sounds too restrictve for my liking - I wanta HM like ganme where i don't have to farm, and can just wonder.
Tue 01/06/04 at 18:20
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Harvest Moon?

;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.