GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Batman Year One"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/07/01 at 14:02
Regular
New Batman movie being made.

Directed by Requiem for a Dream and Pi's Darren Aronofsky.

He says "I want to take it back to being dirty and nasty, French Connection sort of thing. Batman is not a cartoon for kids."

Hmmm...if anyone has seen Requiem and Pi, you'll understand why this is some of the best movie news in a long time.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
New Batman movie being made.

Directed by Requiem for a Dream and Pi's Darren Aronofsky.

He says "I want to take it back to being dirty and nasty, French Connection sort of thing. Batman is not a cartoon for kids."

Hmmm...if anyone has seen Requiem and Pi, you'll understand why this is some of the best movie news in a long time.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:05
Regular
"not dead"
I haven't seen it, but have heard about it.

Certainly very interesting news.

Surely no holey rusted metal in this movie.

Unless it's being used to ram through someones chest.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:08
Regular
Back to the good old days of Batman Returns, I hope.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:47
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Yes, finally Ornofsky's been given the chance to redeem the Batman saga, it wasn't doing too bad till Joel Schmaucher got hold of it.

Speaking of Oronfsky flicks, Goatboy, me mates band, Miocene are doing a gig at the ICA Theatre at the end of the month, 'cept it's going to be a remix gig where they'll be playing in-front of the film Pi.

Should be a good un'

./Steve

PS. Sorry for the triple post, I guess my new user-name was causing the forums a bit of gip.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:49
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I remember Miocene from watching Clutch.

Pretty good.
Loved the Helmet cover they did.
Tue 10/07/01 at 15:06
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Yeah, they're BIG fans of both Clutch and Helmet

./Steve
Tue 10/07/01 at 16:26
Regular
Absoulutly excellent news. Welcome back, Batman.
Tue 10/07/01 at 17:11
"possibly impossible"
Batman - Year one. Taken from the story of the same name, by one Frank Miller?

Basing Batman on his more successful graphic novel based storylines is the way forward, I believe.

History
---------
The Batman of the 70’s and 80’s was a mirror image of the same costumed character from the 60’s. The history behind his different appearances over the years were either due to enforced law or from the audience that the comic was being aimed at in the market.

While the dark crusader has had many faces in the past, the most successful, in comic and film form, have always appealed to his origins in Detective Comics where he was primarily a crime fighter who was out to avenge his parents’ death by destroying crime. This was balanced by the fact that Batman didn’t actually kill anyone, or at least made a vow not to. He also never used guns, as this was the instrument that killed his parents. The character had been based on Zorro and partly on Nosferatu, borrowing from several other european sources as well. Detective Comics often had dark and gritty characters loitering about it’s pages, Batman was no exception. Later, the tone was lightened by adding a sidekick, Robin. His bright costume and witty one liners alleviated the dark tones of the earlier Batman, but bigger changes were on their way.

The Comic Code Authority had originally cracked down on all comic characters back then, calling for brighter colours and much more simple drawings, toning down violence by adding ‘cartoonish’ effects and making sure everyone got up and dusted themselves down afterwards. This, of course, translated into the TV series we all know, and some still love. After this ban on violence and general non-kid friendly storylines was lifted, it took a while for Batman to regain his footing, but when he did it was with a powerful sweep the other way.

The 70’s saw a pencil drawn, thin shadow of a hero. Gone was Robin, Dick Grayson had gone to university, ditching his father figure and leaving a little resentment behind. Bruce Wayne quickly went back to his old ways, hunting killers and theives with legwork and detective skills, rather than bursting through doors and shouting ‘surprise!’ The stories became gritty again and there was a distinct change in Batman’s mood as he became more brooding. This went on for a while, and some fans argue that it was the period that produced the best Batman stories, but all things change and Batman was no exception.

The 80’s saw a new kid in town. A second Robin appeared, Orphaned and alone, Bruce took pity on him and trained him in all the skills needed to be a worthy sidekick. This Robin was far more hotheaded though and easily motivated by revenge and hammering anyone that he had a grudge against. It lightened the comic only somewhat, as this new Robin was not the bright day-glo one that first appeared all those years ago. Robin’s temper got the better of him in the end though and taking on the Joker spelled a nasty end to the character (the ending being voted for by the readers, if you’d like to see the whole story look for the Graphic Novel ‘Death in the Family’ it’s recommended)

Batman was alone yet again, but the range and scope of villains had not been exhausted, nor had the stories. Looking back over the last 15 years, we’ve had the excellent Dark Knight Returns – a story by the acclaimed Frank Miller, telling of Batman’s later years and really setting the way for the feel of the ‘89 Tim Burton movie. The Killing Joke, where the daughter of Commissioner Gordon, Barbara “Batgirl” Gordon, is permanently paralysed by the Joker, and a re-hash of the Catwoman origins, going back to her roots as a prostitute.

Batman is still going strong and will no doubt go through many changes still, picking up fans along the way. Hopefully some of these will be the filmmakers who decide to make future Batman movies, making them nearer to the strong, deep character that has been built up over the years.

(sorry about the length, by the way, but it just had to be said...)
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:45
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Aronofsky directing is definetly a good thing - but my worry would be more about the boys up stairs and what they let him do. No doubt visualy it will be dank and gritty, but will Aronofsky really be allowed to mirror that fully in the story are characters (remembering he's writing the screen play as well as helming)?

Also got to wonder if Aronofsky's ready for going from zero budget, zero expectation to expected big budget and having a huge weight of expectation on his shoulders. When you couple this with the fact that he has relitevly unexperienced Producers (ingoring the "get my name on screen" associate and executive guys)to aid his budget spending flurry you've got to wonder.

Hopefully my worrys are hot air and youthfully exuberance and convention defying will result.

Side note - expected around the same 2002 time as Batman Year Zero is another Aronofsky scripted film - Below.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.