GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'Mature' games for 'mature' gamers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/07/01 at 12:59
Regular
Much has been written about the 'mature gamer', but what exactly is a 'mature gamer'?

Well Jeeves defines mature as something that has completed it's natural growth or development, or belonging to the middle portion of a cycle of erosion, so that's not a great deal of help. But then again, when is Jeeves much use?

I believe that the term 'mature gamer' refers to Sony and Microsofts's target audience - late teens to ealry twenties, and older. So by just being a certain age you can be a 'mature gamer'. Of course you don't have to be of a certain age to enjoy mature games!

Gaming is still seen by many as being the pasttime of children, and the immature, but with gaming becoming more mainstream, this will hopefully become a thing of the past.

Many of the games that could be considered as 'mature', however aren't the sort that should appear to someone you would consider to be a mature adult. Conkers Bad Fur Day is full of toilet humour, and has Nintendo's trademark cute appearance. Would this really appeal to someone that considered themselves as 'mature'? Surely it would appear more to the little kid inside us, the one that still laughs at bodily functions, and thinks swearing is amusing. Hardly mature. Games like Resident Evil and Perfect Dark, supposedly games for a more 'mature' audience appeal just as much to younger gamers, (not littel kids, but early teens.) Surely the term 'mature' doesn't suit the game, maybe the term 'Adult' would be better?

The games that I see as being more 'mature' would be those that don't appeal to our more childish insticts. Simulations and Real Time Strategies seem to me to be more 'mature' than survival horrors.

There are opportunities to make some truely special games on the next generation consoles, and I'm looking forward to some of the titles on the GAMECUBE that have been tarred with the 'mature' stick.

Eternal Darkness looks much like your survival horror. It has zombies in it, and zombies are cool, so I want this game! However, after reading up on it it certainly seems to have some rather different ideas to it. There is a 'sanity meter.' Seeing all of the horrors will slowly drive you insane if you don't manage to overcome them. This sounds like a very impressive feature, and one that could make it a game that requires just as much mind-work as it would gameplay skill. Likewise Silicon Knights other project Too Human has also been labeled a 'psychological thriller.' This game allows you to upgrade yourself with human traits, so you could improve your intelligence or your strength. The game changes depending upon the choices you have made. You have the choice as to whether you should play the game building on your strengths and eliminating all of your enemies, or build on your intelligence, and work other ways around each problem.

I'm sure that the PS2 and the Xbox will also deliver many games that add features that make the game one that deserves the label 'mature' rather than games that are labelled as being 'mature' for simply being nothing more than gore-fests.
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:56
semajal wrote:
> Don't see the point in rating a game 18. I bought Perfect Dark for
> n64 at the age of 14. I don't find it violent. Meture is the wrong
> word. Older gamer would be better because CBFD is aimed at older
> gamers who are bored of all the games aimed at young gamers

The age rating is only useful for over worried parents who know nothing about games in general.
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:48
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
Don't see the point in rating a game 18. I bought Perfect Dark for n64 at the age of 14. I don't find it violent. Meture is the wrong word. Older gamer would be better because CBFD is aimed at older gamers who are bored of all the games aimed at young gamers
Tue 10/07/01 at 21:37
I believe that I am mature, yet have a "kiddy" side at the same time.
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:23
Regular
erm i meant to say why have you got a PS2?
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:23
Regular
Ö=ResŒvilfan=Ö wrote:
> ok don't reply to this and bite my head off if you disagree because
> it's my opinion.

The PSone is now bought for kids.excluding the
> classic titles there's not much now that appeals to gamers.

The
> N64 is made for fun,Games on here are fun and challenging without
> making gamers frustrated.

The PS2 is for the adult generation
> of gamers and has great games of all types.can't wait to get me mits
> on the hard drive.

The xbox is for geeks which don't know
> anything about games except from their PC.

Gamecube will be
> fanastic and i think it will still have the nintendo charm but will
> see alot of different type games which the 64 lacked on.

Damn right I agree but why are you getting a PS2? Being a resident evil fan i thought you would like to get 0,4 and possibly advanced original game!
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:21
Regular
I have writen something like this before and what i was trying to say is that Sega and Sony appeal to the childish yet adult Teenage audience.

Perfect Dark was different no blood everywhere just mild swearing (very mild b..i..t...c..h being the worst) with the option to reduce it. Blood oh yeah a bit on the wall and a nice bit of splatter. Perfect Dark tried to be realistic rather than gory but to be realistic blood needed to be used!
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:16
Regular
"Back For Good"
ok don't reply to this and bite my head off if you disagree because it's my opinion.

The PSone is now bought for kids.excluding the classic titles there's not much now that appeals to gamers.

The N64 is made for fun,Games on here are fun and challenging without making gamers frustrated.

The PS2 is for the adult generation of gamers and has great games of all types.can't wait to get me mits on the hard drive.

The xbox is for geeks which don't know anything about games except from their PC.

Gamecube will be fanastic and i think it will still have the nintendo charm but will see alot of different type games which the 64 lacked on.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:51
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
> Lesuire Suit Larry.

I've never played a Larry games...

Although I was often found typeing away at the Leather Goddesses of Phobos... On the Lewd setting too...
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:34
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Lesuire Suit Larry.

Now there was a game.

I managed to get him to wear the bikini, wax his legs and put the wig on, but he kept getting "approached" by the Egyptian bloke and sold for slavery.
Tue 10/07/01 at 14:28
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
One game that I found that is definetly for mature gamers is playboys collectors edition for the PSX.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.