GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Big Games, why does the PS2 often miss out?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/04 at 21:53
Regular
"aii"
Why do lots of publishers with brilliant games, just shun the PS2? You have great Star Wars games coming out and all the PS2 gets is Battle Front and Episode 3, the most recent Rogue Squadron could have easily been ported, after the Starfighter games that were on the PS2 are almost the same and have sold massivly, its like they are trying to cripple themselves financially by not releasing on the best selling console. Ninja Gaiden is absolutely brilliant as is Halo, but they are X-Box exclusives. It may be hard to port to a "worse" console, but it should be worth it, I mean Namco did it with Dead To Rights and it turned out to be excellent, so why can't they do it, it would increase their revenues massivly! All of the brilliant PS2 exclusives have been ported to PC and X-Box, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. So why can't the X-Box and PC developers return the favour, please?
Thu 03/06/04 at 21:53
Regular
"aii"
Why do lots of publishers with brilliant games, just shun the PS2? You have great Star Wars games coming out and all the PS2 gets is Battle Front and Episode 3, the most recent Rogue Squadron could have easily been ported, after the Starfighter games that were on the PS2 are almost the same and have sold massivly, its like they are trying to cripple themselves financially by not releasing on the best selling console. Ninja Gaiden is absolutely brilliant as is Halo, but they are X-Box exclusives. It may be hard to port to a "worse" console, but it should be worth it, I mean Namco did it with Dead To Rights and it turned out to be excellent, so why can't they do it, it would increase their revenues massivly! All of the brilliant PS2 exclusives have been ported to PC and X-Box, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. So why can't the X-Box and PC developers return the favour, please?
Thu 03/06/04 at 21:55
"period drama"
Because its generally a waste of time?
What has PS2 got ...

Digaea at the mo, but no-one'll buy that.
New GTA.
New MGS.
New Ace Combat, but few people will buy that.
Killzone.

That's about it until the PS2 dies, I think.
Thu 03/06/04 at 22:57
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well regarding Halo it will never appear on the PS2 or GC because the company it is made by is owned by Microsoft.
Fri 04/06/04 at 06:34
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Digaea at the mo, but no-one'll buy that.

I will, one day...

> New GTA.

The only reason I'm keeping the PS2

> New MGS.

Surprisingly not too bothered about this.

> New Ace Combat, but few people will buy that.

Not for me, this.

> Killzone.

This had better be worth the hype or Mr Kutaragi had better start running...

> That's about it until the PS2 dies, I think.

Yup, couldn't agree more.
Fri 04/06/04 at 09:48
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
That's OK, PS2 gets GT4 and the others don't. By the way - nobody will buy Ace Combat???? HUH?!?!? Also Killzone is made by a dutch company, I doubt Kutaragi has much to do with it or it's hype.
Fri 04/06/04 at 10:43
Regular
Sorry for not being so bloody specific.

Oh, and the Ace Combat 5 statement wasn't mine.

Darwock wrote:
> PS2 gets GT4 and the others don't

And that's a good thing?! If Prologue is anything to go by, this game is incredibly infrerior by today's standards.

If Companies like Bizarre, Codemasters and MS Game Studios can make bloody fantastic racing games, I can't see why Polyphony still haven't twigged.
Sat 05/06/04 at 13:28
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:

> What has PS2 got ...
>
> Digaea at the mo, but no-one'll buy that.
Na, not looking foward to another RPG at the moment.

> New GTA.
Yeah, one of the games I want.

> New MGS.
This too. Luckily boths hould eventually make it cross platform.

> New Ace Combat, but few people will buy that.
Damn, I won't be able to get this.

> Killzone.
E3 build plays like a good shooter (the best for PS2 probably, though that's not saying much), but nothing genre defining. Halo 2 however, should be...
>
> That's about it until the PS2 dies, I think.
Hooray!
Sat 05/06/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I think the PS2's problem is it's lack of big exclusives, and there isn't really much arriving anytime soon either. San Andreas is the only one that I 'must have' but there really isn't anything else. It's strange, a couple of years ago the PS2 couldn't be beat, with titles like GTA and PES, but even those have went to other formats now.

It's a sign that the PS2 has had it's day, and Sony are even losing profits on the console now. Maybe Sony don't see the point in securing big exclusives for the PS2 anymore because in thier eyes, it's had it's day from a financial point of view. But this is a good thing really, because Sony are saving money, so they can use that in the future to secure some top titles for the PS3.
Sun 06/06/04 at 10:53
Regular
"aii"
I do agree that Sony need to secure more developers to only do PS2 and later PS3 games, they have got Guerilla (killzone makers), but they may turn out to be yet another run of the mill developer, who do good games and awful games, what Sony need is more developers like Insomniac and Naughty Dog who consistently spurn out good games, bacause that will continue the life of the PS2 until the PS3 comes out, but if they do not then the PS2 could be dead before the PS3 is out!
Sun 06/06/04 at 12:46
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
philipbl wrote:
> the PS2 could be dead before the PS3 is out!

That's not surprising really, the PS2 was out years ago and it's showing its age compared to other consoles, and with the PS3 not arriving until 2006 it'll be a struggle for the PS2 to keep up with the competition. But there's still a few exclusives to be released that may tide the console over until the PS3 arrives:

San Andreas
Final Fantasy 12
Gran Turismo 4(I'm not fussed about this, but it's still a big exclusive)
Ridge Racer 6
Tekken 5
Devil May Cry 3
Killzone
Kingdom Hearts 2
The Getaway 2
And I'm sure there's more that I can't think of just now.

So although the PS2 is showing it's age, it may be able to hold it's own until the new console is released.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.