GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Big Games, why does the PS2 often miss out?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/04 at 21:53
Regular
"aii"
Why do lots of publishers with brilliant games, just shun the PS2? You have great Star Wars games coming out and all the PS2 gets is Battle Front and Episode 3, the most recent Rogue Squadron could have easily been ported, after the Starfighter games that were on the PS2 are almost the same and have sold massivly, its like they are trying to cripple themselves financially by not releasing on the best selling console. Ninja Gaiden is absolutely brilliant as is Halo, but they are X-Box exclusives. It may be hard to port to a "worse" console, but it should be worth it, I mean Namco did it with Dead To Rights and it turned out to be excellent, so why can't they do it, it would increase their revenues massivly! All of the brilliant PS2 exclusives have been ported to PC and X-Box, Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. So why can't the X-Box and PC developers return the favour, please?
Fri 11/06/04 at 17:54
Regular
"MSR Rules"
This confuses me.
The three most anticipated sequels ever are coming to XBOX (and anyone with a really expensive PC.

Doom 4
Half Life 2
Halo 2

If these three do not tempt people into buying an XBOX then we will have a lot of gamers missing out on the best games of 2004, which is a shame.

PS2 has had it's day.

It is great that the competition has knocked it off of it's pedestall, made Sony think and mede the next gen race even more exciting.
Wed 09/06/04 at 13:34
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
They do have some big games, just not out in Europe.

Not that they really have to bother anymore until the PS3 comes out anyway. People have already bought a PS2 and as most parents or the person buying it can't afford to support more than one console then they make do with the 'inferior' versions of games.

Personally i wouldn't buy a Xbox anyway because i'm not really that bothered about having supreme out of this world graphics or whatever the xbox fanboys call it plus most of the games i can get on PS2 or PC.

Only one i would consider getting is the Gamecube but as i don't have any contacts to get games for free for that i'll make do without. :-D
Tue 08/06/04 at 21:15
Regular
"Not a Jew"
The PS2 doesn't really miss out - Driv3r, GTA series?
Never played an Xbox, powerful console however.
Don't like GC, never was into "Mario" games and the like.
Tue 08/06/04 at 19:58
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
green ferocity wrote:
> The ps2 is not the best console. The only reason it is the best
> selling is because people have turned into corporate sheep and most
> just bought the first next gen console to come onto the market. which
> was the ps2. Also small minded people persuade their friends to get a
> ps2 by deeming gamecube and xbox crap. When they probbably have never
> played one.

I have to kind of agree with you here, and I admit I used to be one of those narrow minded people. I wrote off both the GC and the X-Box even before I played them. However I now know different and I also own both of those consoles, the GC has some of the best exclusives out there, the X-Box is incredibly powerful, and the hard-drive saves me a fortune on memory cards.

> No ps2 owner is going to admit that their console, graphic wise is
> starting to look very dated.

I'll admit to that. There's absolutely no doubt that the PS2 is the most inferior from a technical point of view. But I've never been too bothered about great graphics, obviously it's a good bonus, but graphics certainly aren't everything.

> You would never see halo on the ps2 because microsoft aren't stupid.

No, it's because Microsoft OWN the company that make Halo. If Sony had to buy Rockstar outright, then GTA would have to stay on the Playstation. Plus, the reason Microsoft managed to get GTA is because they had to give up any rights to GTA4, not San Andreas, but the next 'proper' sequel that will probably be released with the PS3.

Anyway, I'm not trying to stick up for Sony here, because to be honest I like the fact that they could get some real competition, that means they'll have to make some really great games for their customers in order to keep us happy.

:)
Tue 08/06/04 at 18:19
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
X-box is the better console, no-one's denying that but what console came out first? Ps2 has actually sold more than x-box just now. Ps2 has been on the market for about 5 years and has sold more than it needs to. that is why there is going to be a Ps3, to handle more. Those games he mentioned, were they not big? Tekken 5 crap? why have they made 5 then you moron.
Tue 08/06/04 at 18:10
Regular
the ps2 is not the best console. The only reason it is the best selling is because people have turned into corporate sheep and most just bought the first next gen console to come onto the market. which was the ps2. Also small minded people persuade their friends to get a ps2 by deeming gamecube and xbox crap. When they probbably have never played one. People are just bias to the console they bought. Its obvious. No ps2 owner is going to admit that their console, graphic wise is starting to look very dated. Also about what you said about xbox only having ninja gaiden and Halo. This is because it is a much more powerful machine and can handdle the graphical power. The ps2 simply isn't good enough any more. And dead to rights was crap by the way. It probably only came to ps2 because the graphics were so rubbishy and could easily utilize the 128mb chip. You also mentioned the GTA series making the leap to pc and xbox. This happened because this games graphics perform badly against most games on the xbox. They no longer interest previous ps2 owners who have come to expect better. It may also seem that rockstar knows the ps2 isn't going to be big business forever, so quickly made the leap to the xbox, which is newer, so in theory will be around for longer. If sony cannot hold onto gaming exclusives, thats their bloody fault. You would never see halo on the ps2 because microsoft aren't stupid. They know that if they keep the very best games on their console they will cornering the market and alot of people will buy an xbox when big games like half life 2 and halo 2 are released. Oh and by the way, you can keep crap like tekken 5 on your poxy machine, we dont want it. :) By the way this message is aimed at the original topic starter and anyone else who wants to say im wrong and insult me. Have a nice day ;-)
Oh and one more thing philb, guerilla may be making killzone exclusively ffor the ps2, but they are also making shellshock nam 67 which will come out on xbox. so it isnt an exclusive manafacturer after all.
Sun 06/06/04 at 13:41
Regular
"aii"
The PS2 may not die, but only PS2 fans, like me, will get new games and not switch over to better higher spec consoles. (just get those as well!)
Sun 06/06/04 at 12:46
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
philipbl wrote:
> the PS2 could be dead before the PS3 is out!

That's not surprising really, the PS2 was out years ago and it's showing its age compared to other consoles, and with the PS3 not arriving until 2006 it'll be a struggle for the PS2 to keep up with the competition. But there's still a few exclusives to be released that may tide the console over until the PS3 arrives:

San Andreas
Final Fantasy 12
Gran Turismo 4(I'm not fussed about this, but it's still a big exclusive)
Ridge Racer 6
Tekken 5
Devil May Cry 3
Killzone
Kingdom Hearts 2
The Getaway 2
And I'm sure there's more that I can't think of just now.

So although the PS2 is showing it's age, it may be able to hold it's own until the new console is released.
Sun 06/06/04 at 10:53
Regular
"aii"
I do agree that Sony need to secure more developers to only do PS2 and later PS3 games, they have got Guerilla (killzone makers), but they may turn out to be yet another run of the mill developer, who do good games and awful games, what Sony need is more developers like Insomniac and Naughty Dog who consistently spurn out good games, bacause that will continue the life of the PS2 until the PS3 comes out, but if they do not then the PS2 could be dead before the PS3 is out!
Sat 05/06/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I think the PS2's problem is it's lack of big exclusives, and there isn't really much arriving anytime soon either. San Andreas is the only one that I 'must have' but there really isn't anything else. It's strange, a couple of years ago the PS2 couldn't be beat, with titles like GTA and PES, but even those have went to other formats now.

It's a sign that the PS2 has had it's day, and Sony are even losing profits on the console now. Maybe Sony don't see the point in securing big exclusives for the PS2 anymore because in thier eyes, it's had it's day from a financial point of view. But this is a good thing really, because Sony are saving money, so they can use that in the future to secure some top titles for the PS3.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.