GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Would You buy a game because of it's cover?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 15:31
Regular
You probably don’t know me, but I’ve been here for longer than nearly everyone somehow, not quite sure why, but due to working restrictions all I have been able to do is write reviews, so I thought I’d try my hand at a future of gaming discussion, seeing as this is a forum dedicated to the future of gaming. But what is there left to write about? Surely by now everything has been discussed to the death that you’re all getting bored of the inaugural console wars topic stating why the PlayStation 2 (or other console) will trample over everything else, or why Bill Gates is a freak or something. Yep, hardly original any more, unless you present your discussion in an interesting way, I’ll try and kick start a discussion here, I doubt it’ll last very long, but with any luck this issue hasn’t been raised too many times. Forgive me if it has, especially if you wrote something like it and now hate me!

Ok, it’s hard to think about what to say, but I was looking at my limited collection of games just a couple of days ago, wondering what to play. I couldn’t think what to select, so I did what you’re told not to do – I chose purely by the cover of the game. Yep! Never judge a book by its cover? Well, maybe the same applies for games, but in all honesty games developers/cover designers should make sure that a decent game has an equally impressive front cover. What game did I pick up and play? Well, the cover isn’t all that imaginative, but it’s probably the most eye-catching I’ve seen. Just been re-released, but on a different console (yellow cover!) Can you guess what it is yet? “Hey, Hey”

It’s not an interesting design, but it’s powerful, and attracted my attention first, yep, you got it, Crazy Taxi! I haven’t played the second one yet, but I took Crazy Taxi for around a 3hour spin – fantastic fun, definitely the fastest 1 player game available. It’s a superb game, and at first look it may seem as if it’s got the longevity of a 3 legged cat on the M1, but trying to complete the crazy box modes is a challenge for the second time, and you can always try your luck on the arcade mode, arcade rules – I think I notched up a score of $56,000!! Not bad anyway, thumbs caned afterwards, as it is I am typing with gloves on, but the cover of Crazy Taxi depicts the game very well. It’s simple at first sight, and everyone will be drawn to it – original, fun and bright (with very loud American music!) but the simplicity of the colour allows you to look further – I could analyse the cover for a good 10 minutes, but I won’t. Ok, so does anyone see me point yet?

Crazy Taxi’s cover beat off the reserved looking, old shaped box design, red, Mika Hakkinen/Eddie Irvine cars featuring, cover of the greatest PC racing game of all time – Grand Prix 3. Probably my favourite game of all time, we all have to have one, I’d agree that the cover reflected the game – sensible, smooth and official, but somewhat boring – just as playing the game is, at times. Do you think PC games have more boring covers than console games? I could’ve tried out my brother’s Shenmue game, never played it, certainly heard enough about it, but the cover didn’t capture my mind. Ok, I’ve said enough now I think & I’ll let you all have your say about this.

When you next go into a games store, look around at all the covers. Put yourself in the situation of not knowing what the game is like, and pick up the one that looks most appealing just from the look of the cover. There’s more to them than meets the eye…

Would you ever judge a game by a cover? No, you shouldn’t, but maybe you’d buy one because of it…

Discuss away! What’s your favourite game – is the cover-design any good? Could you do any better? Is it even important?

Cheers for reading, now it’s your go!
Tue 10/07/01 at 20:38
Covers are great for the eye candy. And yes, I probably would, as long as the game inside is one that seems interesting at first, and money permitting. As you can tell, I usually buy on impulse.
Tue 10/07/01 at 19:20
Regular
R2D2 - have you actually done anything since you joined? OK, it was >500 days ago, but still, there are 15 reviews and about 60 posts by you, so saying that you've only written reviews seems a little optimistic - you haven't written anything ;-)!

Not that I care really,

See Ya

PinkPig
Tue 10/07/01 at 17:07
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
R2D2 wrote:
> Gaming Boy - you could be an exception to the rule? I love art, and
> in games and designs developers/artists have the chance to express
> their talent.

Never stop thinking,

----------

So, what exactly are you trying to say?
Mon 09/07/01 at 22:11
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
a cover dosent attract me to a game. i only buy a game if i know its good, eg i read the reviews and ask m8 etc be4 a buy.
sure ifs its a real nice cover ill have a look but nearly always i wont buy it.
most pc covers r r kinda crap but its whats on the disk that counts and i ditch the boxes after anyway.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:46
Wrestling game covers aren't great at all.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:46
Wrestling games?
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:18
"I love yo... lamp."
No I do not think so but the cover does attract me to a game in the shop. You are right in saying that game covers need to be better. Perfect Dark had a dull cover. Goldeneye had a great cover. Hence Goldeneye the better game. Generally PC game covers are boring, check out Black&White for one of the best examples. But some are quite good. Like Star Trek covers. Especially th Federation Compilation, it has the best cover of all time I think!
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:59
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well then you're an idiot!

:)
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:55
Have you seen the cover for jet set radion in japan.I would spend 40 quid,just for that
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:49
Regular
"Whatever!"
In a word NO!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.