GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not-So-Perfect Dark Zero"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Perfect Dark Zero'.
Wed 03/01/07 at 23:32
Regular
Get their attention, hide in a corner and just nail them as they walk through the door, the AI is pretty close to old Playstation 1 shooting games.

I honestly didn't think games this bad still existed. Kinda hard to explain why the shooting elements are so bad but the clunky aiming with enemies that either move in a straight line towards you or from side to side in a straight line just make it feel like someone just created the first ever shooting game and wanted to show people what they had done. What ever happened to following classic mechanics like Half-Life, Golden Eye or even the original Perfect Dark?!

The storyline is none existent to boot which makes playing the single player an almost completely pointless waste of anyone's time unless you're just after bragging rights to the Dark Agent achievements. I guess the agent/secret agent difficulties let you play it like a first person shooter but on perfect agent you need to play it like a stealth game only the stealth mechanics are absolutely sheep sh*g. The cover system is tagged on and shamefully crap, kinda amazed at how poor all the gameplay elements have been shoved together.

After Hitman, Tomb Raider, Condemned, Vegas and Kameo I finally arrived at this and regret ever doing so, what oooota sheep shafting guffness, I long for the Mexicans in Vegas with their turban's full of grenades!!

I know this is more of a "welcome to yesterday" post having you all played it already but fook me I am kinda shell shocked at how bad this game plays. All you multiplayer nerds can hush also :D
Fri 05/01/07 at 12:28
"I love yo... lamp."
I <3 this game, but mainly due to my inexplicable attraction to Joanna Dark...

I accept the AI isn't brilliant. In fact it's the same as it was in Perfect Dark. They might not have changed it at all, because I haven't yet seen any differences. But I don't think that's inherently a bad thing.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were awesome and the absolute pinnacle of their times. Making the AI better would generally mean making it more realistic. PD0 should be in the middle ground between arcade shooters like Quake and realistic squad games like Ghost Recon. To me, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were always more fun than either the Quake series or Rainbow Six series, because they had that middle ground. Goldeneye played like a Bond movie - over the top but with more class than a Jean Claude Van Dam movie. Perfect Dark was Goldeneye 2 in all but plot, so PD0 was always going to continue the tradition.

I accept PD0 could have been better. But to change it a lot would have taken it away from it's roots and I don't think it would have been as enjoyable. In terms of improving it, they should have had AI more like Halo, with enemies that retreated, took defensive positions and occasionally moved in pairs or squads. But the moment you couldn't run through a room, spray some bullets and survive, the game would have been ruined.

I hope they do another Perfect Dark game, perhaps borrowing the AI from Halo, because it had the same dynamics. Aside from that, they shouldn't change it too much, because in multiplayer, PD0 is awesome.

I like, but accept it's not perfect. Which is ironic given the name, but they were of course referring to my beloved Joanna...

If you didn't enjoy it Suicide Soldier (Alistair, right?) then I pity you, because got hours of fun out of it.
Thu 04/01/07 at 22:57
Regular
It was fun when it first came out, looks terrible these days though. The main problem with the AI is it's lifted directly out of the N64 games, which is quite insane considering the amount of development time the game had to get things right.

As Hedfix said though, it's fun in co-op and the online game was fun when 360 first came out. Has some really cool game modes, only problem is the controls feel incredibly clunky at times and some of the guns are just retarded. How they managed to f**k up the laptop gun so much is anybody's guess...

Think Rare should stay away from 1st person shooters in the future, it's pretty clear that the part of Rare that had a clue about making them left and went to Free Radical.

Oh and Viva Pinata and Kameo are a lot of fun, a heck of a lot better than PDZ.

Roll on Banjo!
Thu 04/01/07 at 21:23
Regular
"8==="
Good for co-op and the survivor multiplayer thing's one of the best ever. That mode definitely beats the Timesplitter versions.
Thu 04/01/07 at 20:00
Regular
Thought Kameo was excellent to be honest, had a lot of fun playing it, hoping Pinata will be the same. Just this one shocker that is probably (along with Soldier of Fortune 2) one of the worst single player games I have ever played. Played it a bit more today hoping it would get better later on but it doesn't, add to the fact you can't save at any point during the harder difficulties and it makes me wonder how it scored so highly, I guess the multiplayer must make up for it somehow :S
Thu 04/01/07 at 19:17
Regular
Yeah Rare make suckish games for Xbox?

Isn't that pinata game the best one out?
Thu 04/01/07 at 17:51
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Yep, it's beyond crap. I played it once for about ten minutes before I decided I was going to sell it. One of the worst games I've ever played.
Thu 04/01/07 at 00:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I got the demo, played 5 minutes, was violently sick, and deleted it.
Wed 03/01/07 at 23:32
Regular
Get their attention, hide in a corner and just nail them as they walk through the door, the AI is pretty close to old Playstation 1 shooting games.

I honestly didn't think games this bad still existed. Kinda hard to explain why the shooting elements are so bad but the clunky aiming with enemies that either move in a straight line towards you or from side to side in a straight line just make it feel like someone just created the first ever shooting game and wanted to show people what they had done. What ever happened to following classic mechanics like Half-Life, Golden Eye or even the original Perfect Dark?!

The storyline is none existent to boot which makes playing the single player an almost completely pointless waste of anyone's time unless you're just after bragging rights to the Dark Agent achievements. I guess the agent/secret agent difficulties let you play it like a first person shooter but on perfect agent you need to play it like a stealth game only the stealth mechanics are absolutely sheep sh*g. The cover system is tagged on and shamefully crap, kinda amazed at how poor all the gameplay elements have been shoved together.

After Hitman, Tomb Raider, Condemned, Vegas and Kameo I finally arrived at this and regret ever doing so, what oooota sheep shafting guffness, I long for the Mexicans in Vegas with their turban's full of grenades!!

I know this is more of a "welcome to yesterday" post having you all played it already but fook me I am kinda shell shocked at how bad this game plays. All you multiplayer nerds can hush also :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.