GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo lose Monkey Ball but is there something even bigger in the works?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Monkey Ball'.
Sat 12/06/04 at 19:44
Regular
The SEGA-Nintendo relationship is falling.

With no new exclusive software due for the system and the merger with Sammy damaging the relationship further it looks like SEGA are to wave farewell. Granted the fan base for Phantasy Star and Monkey Ball will always mean they'll appear on Nintendo systems, but it looks increasingly likely that these games will be appearing on rival formats too. PSO Universe is almost certainly going to appear on one rival format, Sonic deserted Nintendo's system earlier this year and Super Monkey Ball: Deluxe (which could be SMB and SMB2 combined) is set for the PS2.

Of course previous exclusive title Virtual Fighter Quest also got a PS2 version.

This is a disaster, Nintendo's friends in SEGA such as Sonic Team and Amusement Vision maybe forced to make their games multi-format and cancel their previous exclusive support for the Gamecube.

But there is something else. Nintendo and Bandai.

Are we on the verge of a new Japanese super power????

Whether it is a merger or a complete Nintendo buyout is unsure but Nintendo have been progressivly becoming bigger and bigger owners of the Dragon Ball z and Digimon company. Some of the biggest worldwide franchises. Nintendo currently own a 2.3% share of the company making them the ninth largest investor and they appear to be the only one who are interested in adding to their holdings.

Nintendo's Pokemon, Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises are known worlwide and the national and global appeal of cult hits such as Dragonball Z is interesting Nintendo. Bandai are essentially a more cartoon based enterprise who develop unique gadgets and in particular video games. Much like SEGA and Sammy, these two Japanese giants are getting closer every year.

We all talk about the possibility of Namco, Microsoft, Capcom and SEGA mergers but if we are being totally realistic here... it is Bandai and Nintendo who are most likely of jumping in bed together.

Is the future bright?
Tue 22/06/04 at 14:36
Regular
Well I buy Bond games.... but not the ones that are crap.

Meanwhile I buy most Nintendo games... even the naff ones.
Mon 21/06/04 at 16:46
Regular
Bond games do have a fan base, sort of...
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:23
Regular
"tokyo police club"
There are very few multiformat games that are looked back upon as 'classics'
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:19
Regular
It's true but multi-format games rarely get a cult following...

There are exceptions, Timesplitters and Prince of Persia has a unique fan base but the Bond games, Potter games, MOH games etc... don't have a fan base to fall back on.

Nintendo fans see the Monkey Ball franchise as a Nintendo franchise and therefore claim it as their own.

Look at Viewtiful Joe and Killer 7. We could not stop going on about how great these games are. Now they are being released on the PS2 AS WELL nobody seemed to bother mentioning them, because we don't really care anymore. And to think for months we were touting Killer 7 as the next big thing.
Sun 20/06/04 at 20:44
Regular
"Plate of glue"
Dringo wrote:
> We will get SMB3 it's a done thing...
>
> Just the series is no longer exclusive.

I think Sega have realised after the number of sales of Sonic Hero's on the PS2, that the PS2 can generate profit for Sega.
Sun 20/06/04 at 20:06
Regular
Back to the Bandai thing - Bandai make Tamagotchi - Tamagotchi sells like crazy in Japan.

That would be an even bigger bonus for Nintendo, even if it did make us all hope that the sun suddenly implodes.
Sun 20/06/04 at 15:16
Regular
We will get SMB3 it's a done thing...

Just the series is no longer exclusive.
Fri 18/06/04 at 22:28
Regular
"R-Kade 4 Life"
No more monkey ball 4 GC?? That's a bit unlike Sega. I fink it could be that the social services arrested sonic team for cruelty to animals.
Thu 17/06/04 at 20:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
We still might not get it. Tis unlikely, as there is a fanbase, but you never know.
Thu 17/06/04 at 00:05
Regular
It was confirmed that SMB 3 was in development but that was it...

It was more mentioned by the team than confirmed by SEGA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.