GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My PC and Cube slug it out...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/06/04 at 12:16
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Bless them...Just for my attention you know. Battered and bloody, each seems to win a battle but the war still rages. Lets have a quick look at the passion and the pain then shall we?

You know - it drives me nuts sometimes. I can't help it - I loooove PC games, I love their depth, their presentation and the maturity of the genres I choose to play eg. FPS, RPG, RTS and errm...FPSneaker (Thief III and Splinter Cell). Any of you who remember my posts (I don't blame you if you don't) know I really worship the control mechanics of a good FPS. There is nothing like bouncing halfway across a level, steering your flight, zooming and...

Yes hehe
*ZAP* your opponents head pops like a grape on the FAR side of the level. All in mid air with a voice confirming how cool it was to pull a move like that. Yes. The fact that your mate is a snivelling mess behind his monitor means nothing. You are king of this virtual world HAHAAA!

--------------

Breath ragged in his chest he peers around the dirty pock marked wall. Squinting through the smoke his eyes dart back and forth for any….*Sizzzmmm*an upgrade! Picked up nearby. Ears straining he listens for the direction of the footsteps – that have broken into a run… nearer and nearer. It’s too dark dammit!

CRACK the plasma rifle lights the corridor up, shadows sear across the walls twisting like live creatures. Now the visions tunnels – sucked in, hypnotised I become him. I jump and roll to the left, the Carbine jumping in my fists – gleaming shells scattering on the floor like sparks. A thump, two thumps – body armour splitting and burning across my chest I spin into the shadow behind a girder, the murderous Plasma tracking me until the last second. “This is crazy – outgunned and outsmarted. Sh*t. Think think think!” No time. Choose – left or right. Right – trigger pulled, a quick burst and gone running running running for the Rocket Launcher.

Hup! One jump, two jumps, the chasm below like a beast’s maw waiting for an unfortunate victim. Grav boots scrabbling for purchase I land sprawled on the launcher spawn pad….Come on Come on *Sizzzmmm* YES! He has heard me – but let him come! Hold the left trigger, the mechanics like oiled snakes load one, two three, four packs of “Iiiinstant death - just add human for Squelchy Fun”. I can hear the cheeky salesman now. I’m loving it. A manic grin spreads across my face, the blood lust rises. Charging down the ramp I see him, every moment crystallised every detail stark. I am bleeding, my armour ruined but his back is to me and its too late too late…mwuahahahahaa…*WHHHHOOOSH*

So what do I do for this? I spend inordinate amounts of money on things like video cards and 20" tft monitors and optical mice (mouses?) and wireless keyboards, tweak the hell out of the PC settings for maximum frame rate. I bleed (literally – scrape your knuckles down a PCB and you will know all about it) and sweat performing upgrades and moving things about. I setup the surround sound

hmmm..no that speaker is not quite in the right place

for maximum accuracy in the audioscape, heheee…*ZAP* HaHAAAA! Gotcha! I shoot fools for a livin’!!

sorry
:o)
--------------

Then I wander upstairs, lay on the bed. Switch the telly on and push that magical grey button on the Cube and….
----------------
I miss home. Grandma and the green grass. The small inlet where the sea water was clear enough for you to see the urchins and shells from the round warm rocks. Diving for those was fun. Perhaps running up and down the beach after the pigs that had escaped our neighbour’s pen was a bit of chore, but it was all so simple then. Then home for soup, bread and warm bed.

Now. Thrust into this adventure reluctantly. Desperate to rescue my sister, fearing for her safety, frightened and wide eyed I ventured away clothed in green. Grandma says this is important, but I don’t know why. I have a sword and shield and now everyone expects so much of me. I sail the seas, wind whipping through my hair looking for clues to her whereabouts and meeting many weird and wonderful creatures and people. Hehe - some are very strange. Others try to hurt or… kill me.

I have learned something wondrous. I can command the wind and it will bear me and my trusty boat to any of the far corners of this world. I sail across the open seas, duelling with pirates and seeking hidden treasure. I land on strange islands, frozen or blasted. The gods have some sort of message for me, I can feel it but I am unsure where or how it will manifest itself. The skies are darkened and some evil is in the world. For now I trust my instincts. Ayup! Here is my next destination!

Splash (note to self – grow a little more or get boat closer to the shore). Clamber up the beach, sword drawn – feeling a little nervous. What is this place? It feels familiar…the trees and earth feel alive here. The place throbs with an organic power. I’ll follow that stream into the island. The night sky lights my path, the stars twinkling like shards of diamonds. Yikes! Hop left to avoid that blob that…Thing just shot at me. Aha now is my chance! Just as master taught me –wait for the weak moment and strike! It coveted a rupee – poor worthless thing. Oh well – waste not want not. I press on up stream and enter a cavern with…whoa a huge tree with a frikkin grandma said not to swear FACE on it! Arrrgh! *passes out*

---------------

Well no not really. Good console games have something, an injection of love and care, attention to detail. They are simple to get to grips with, challenging to master. The worlds are beautifully put together and the sense of wonder you feel every time you progress take you all the way back to the first time you played a video game. And what do I do for this? I buy every good game, put myself through months of torture waiting for the release of the next (which to be fair are few and far between compared to the PC) and maintain a fierce loyalty to the platform, jousting with those who criticise wrongly, debating with those with a good point to raise. Sometimes it’s worth it. The developers have used all their devious tricks to extract the last vestiges of power from the console and produce smooth visuals throughout it’s lifespan that blow you away. They come up with REALLY new and innovative ways of playing games to keep you hooked. All this with a spend perhaps one tenth of what you would on a decent gaming PC.

Godsdammit.

So the power shifts constantly and I guess I am doomed to love and loathe both of them. This is my story (well – it’s not really that dramatic…hehe) and I am sure there are those of you out there with a similar problem.

Slaves to our passions eh?
Sat 19/06/04 at 19:19
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
> tphi wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
> I think I am respected and I respect
> those around me, even good ol' Whitestripes.
>
> What is your deal with WS? You're very pally with him.. he an
> offline
> friend or alter ego :P
>
>
> Hehe - may just be the next best thing - but not me darlin'.
>
> Lets just say we got some....history.
>
> This should get a reaction ;o)
>
> I haven't got a clue who you are.
>
> You just started humping my leg sometime last week.

3 minutes. Frikkin Su-perb.

Cutting, dry humour witha slight wiff of eu de toilet. Clean out a room of Noobs all by itself.

Thats why we love you dear Whitestripes :o)
Sat 19/06/04 at 18:58
Regular
Delorentis wrote:
> tphi wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
>
> What is your deal with WS? You're very pally with him.. he an
> offline
>
>
> Hehe - may just be the next best thing - but not me darlin'.
>
> Lets just say we got some....history.
>
> This should get a reaction ;o)

I haven't got a clue who you are.

You just started humping my leg sometime last week.
Sat 19/06/04 at 18:55
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
chatterbox wrote:
> talk 2 the mouse cos the screen dont even wanna no u

ZZZZzzzz. Wffle swffle, Wha? Oh.

You.

Again.

Take a hint.
Sat 19/06/04 at 18:54
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
tphi wrote:
> Delorentis wrote:
>
> What is your deal with WS? You're very pally with him.. he an offline

Hehe - may just be the next best thing - but not me darlin'.

Lets just say we got some....history.

This should get a reaction ;o)
Fri 18/06/04 at 16:14
Regular
"Underbean"
talk 2 the mouse cos the screen dont even wanna no u
Fri 18/06/04 at 15:10
Regular
"thursdayton!"
> Delorentis wrote:

What is your deal with WS? You're very pally with him.. he an offline friend or alter ego :P

> chatterbox wrote:
> i see where your coming from ive been on for 2 years but im still a
> noob

And you still act like one.
Fri 18/06/04 at 10:08
Regular
"Underbean"
Delorentis wrote:
> chatterbox wrote:
> you do know no one can be bothered to read your stupidly long post
>
> You picked on the wrong person eedjit. Christ - this coming from the
> moron who actually makes a post to try and build his status on the
> board.
>
> Here's a reality check - status is earned. It is awarded to those
> worthy. I am may stll look like a noob - but have a look at my stats,
> over two years on this board. I have done a lot of reading and know a
> few of the guys and gals here. I think I am respected and I respect
>

i see where your coming from ive been on for 2 years but im still a noob
Thu 17/06/04 at 21:14
Regular
"Smooth Operator"
gerrid wrote:
> I can only imagine how ridiculously difficult Operation Flashpoint and
> Shogun/Medieval Total War (the 2 best PC games)would be to control on
> consoles.
>
> But then again Zelda with a keyboardmouse would be awful.

Yes - each medium has "its own" games. However - you can attach a joypad (and logitech do some fabulous ones) to a PC. I have a SNES emulator on my pc and yoshi's island (great game) and the control is superb.

Same cannot be said for the consoles where people insist on porting FPS's and making them. But then again Time Splitters and Halo make up for that by slowing the game down a bit and including a "benefit of the doubt hit system" unless you switch it off of course. I have some some frikkin amazing videos of Quake 3 nutters doing insane things with the railgun you couldn't hope to do on a console.
Thu 17/06/04 at 20:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I can only imagine how ridiculously difficult Operation Flashpoint and Shogun/Medieval Total War (the 2 best PC games)would be to control on consoles. No way would you be able to shoot a moving target from 200m away with an AK on an Xbox pad, unless you were just shooting wildly.

But then again Zelda with a keyboardmouse would be awful.
Wed 16/06/04 at 19:07
"Hi"
Hmm... I love my PC for two simple reasons.
1. The simulation games
2. The internet

I love my 'Cube for one simple reason
1. The games

I prefer the games on the cube better but for shorter periods of time than the PC but I go on the internet so much but I have to get up and move away from the tv to get to my PC. I'd say the better one is the Gamecube <- all hail.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.