GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The MAGIC of Zelda OOT & MM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/06/04 at 17:10
Regular
"2 WHEELS ONLY"
Nevermind about the rest of the older titles, Ocarina Of Time & Majoras Mask was the most incredible RPG ever made (cartoon style anyway!). This has been said loads of times before, but I was just playing them both the other night and just realised once again how amazing they really were. When they were first released they were about 2 years ahead of their time, something that game makers struggle to acheieve these days. I say that a game is not about what it is, but about how much detail goes into it. Every part of Zelda was thought out, planned, and then installed, not like today, where game makers put together a whole game quick enough, and then just edit the parts they don't like.
Fri 18/06/04 at 17:25
Regular
Jon, you need to listen to what's being said before you make criticisms. Otherwise you're just going to dig yourself a deeper hole.
Fri 18/06/04 at 17:18
Regular
"2 WHEELS ONLY"
I can hardly even be bothered to write my reply down to such a simpleton!
Fri 18/06/04 at 00:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Memorandum! wrote:
> Jon Y The Sly wrote:
> And of course games can be ahead of their time you idiot!
>
> No. It's an actual impossiblility.

Short of "hey mangs i got gran turisomo 7 for the ps4 but i carnt play it yet lol" then yes, you're right, no game can be ahead of it's time in a physical sense. However, "ahead of it's time" is a commonly used English phrase, so stop with the pedantry. While I wouldn't necessarily say that GoldenEye was ahead of it's time, google for the Babbage machine or any of Galileo's transport inventions for examples of things that were.
Thu 17/06/04 at 23:41
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Memo = correct.
Thu 17/06/04 at 23:15
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
And Zelda isn't an RPG.
Thu 17/06/04 at 23:13
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Jon Y The Sly wrote:
> And of course games can be ahead of their time you idiot!

No. It's an actual impossiblility.
If something is possible at a particular time, then it isn't ahead of its time, because it's possible. Just because older games are 'better', it doesn't mean they were ahead of their time, just that the developers crafted the game more skilfully.

Is it possible for an FPS better than Goldeneye to be released? Yes.
Does that mean Goldeneye was ahead of its time? No. It only means that the Goldeneye development team were incredibly skilled and created an excellent game.

Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3 are both better than Mario Sunshine, but it doesn't mean they were ahead of their time. In fact, they fitted into their own time perfectly, as did Goldeneye.

Just because something is older and also better doesn't mean it was ahead of its time, it just means they're....well, better.
Thu 17/06/04 at 21:28
Regular
Well, it did take the best of FPS devellopers a year to catch up...
And that was just the BEST of them...
Thu 17/06/04 at 16:42
Regular
You play the role of Link. That's true. But to assume that that makes it an RPG makes virtually all games RPGs. Zelda is Action/Adventure.

As for 'bring ahead of its time'. Goldeneye wasn't ahead of it's time. It was just of a very high standard. The way all games should be. The laziness of some developers now doesn't make an older title more advanced - just because it was better.
Thu 17/06/04 at 16:40
Regular
"2 WHEELS ONLY"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Shame it's not an RPG.

OF COURSE IT IS!!!

And of course games can be ahead of their time you idiot! Look at FPS of today, they are really NOTHING compared to that of Goldeneye & PD, therefore those games were ahead of their time. They still beat games that come out now, so they have to have been.

What are you..........thick?!
Wed 16/06/04 at 17:25
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Jon Y The Sly wrote:
> When they were first released they were
> about 2 years ahead of their time

If it was possible for them to be released when they were, they weren't ahead of their time. In fact, the hardware they were running on was exactly the same in 1996, so it could theoretically have been released then.

I hate "ahead of their time". It's the most stupid phrase I've ever read/heard. Nothing is ahead of its time. Ever. It is actually impossible.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.