GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"iPlates"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/11/09 at 04:01
Regular
Hi,

I've heard/read that iplates make no difference if you have no extension wiring, but could help reduce interference from nearby electrical equipment.

My line doesn't have extension wiring, but I do have the tv, sky box, pvr, router, laptop nearby.

Would I benefit from an iPlate, or could I benefit from an alternative solution?

Neil
Wed 18/11/09 at 18:48
"Are you sure?"
If the SKY box is powered up but doesn't cause a problem then I'd go with ncrs' suggestion of 'double filtering' the SKY box phone connection.

SKY boxes (especially failing ones!) are renowned for causing ADSL problems.

Try to use filters from different manufacturers as then you have more chance of them filtering different frequencies.

Note:
The ADSL side of a filter isn't filtered it just goes straight through. The filters on a short lead are often higher quality than the neater filter that looks like a standard phone doubler.

and/or see my Amazon ad for a Faceplate Filter I can recommend these as they separate the ADSL/phone signal at source and often use higher quality components :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 18/11/09 at 18:25
Regular
Interesting about the mains conditioner. Not come across those before.

As an additional note, my router drops whenever my sky box dials out, so I might try the conditioner.

N.
Wed 18/11/09 at 09:29
Staff
Hmmm... wrote:
> As you say the BT
> iPlate / Broadband Accelerator
is designed to stop
> interference being picked up from your internal wiring.
>
> So with no extensions and using the
> Master
> Socket
there shouldn't be anything to gain.
>
> You could try a 'mains conditioner' (I use one from Tacima around
> £25) either/both for your router or other equipment if you
> think you might be suffering from interference. I started using
> one after I saw what a dirty mains feed did not my
> connection.
>

Interesting to hear about the mains conditioner, not something I've come across before, and something I might mention for certain problems I've had in the past, where 'environmental' interference was the likely suspect.
Wed 18/11/09 at 09:14
"Are you sure?"
As you say the BT iPlate / Broadband Accelerator is designed to stop interference being picked up from your internal wiring.

So with no extensions and using the Master Socket there shouldn't be anything to gain.

You could try a 'mains conditioner' (I use one from Tacima around £25) either/both for your router or other equipment if you think you might be suffering from interference. I started using one after I saw what a dirty mains feed did not my connection.

This is what I would try:

Turn all your SKY boxes etc. off.
Plug your ADSL cable in to the BT Test Socket and monitor the line stats ( Attenuation/SNR/Sync ) then start turning on your other equipment and keep monitoring the line stats to see if anything is causing a problem.

Move back to the normal Master Socket, noting any differences.
If nothing changes then you know you can't do any better - if things do change then improvements can be made.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT: ncrs posted while I was writing :¬)
NB. You are allowed to disconnect the Bell Wire as it is part of the internal wiring - i.e. from the removable faceplate outwards, which is all yours. But Neilj99 won't have one of these as he has no wiring on the back of his removable faceplate.
Wed 18/11/09 at 09:04
Staff
Neilj99 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've heard/read that iplates make no difference if you have no
> extension wiring, but could help reduce interference from nearby
> electrical equipment.
>
> My line doesn't have extension wiring, but I do have the tv, sky
> box, pvr, router, laptop nearby.
>
> Would I benefit from an iPlate, or could I benefit from an
> alternative solution?
>
> Neil

Not quite extension wiring, it isolates the bell wire that was used on the old telephone system to trigger the ringer on phones. Apparently in certain circuits it can act as an aerial picking up electrical interference from other sources. See our guide to it here.

You might see some benefit from an IPlate, though I believe that your connection already syncs at a pretty high rate, so probably not a great amount (and its possible the bell wire is already disconnected). The only alternative (addressing the same issue) is disconnecting the bell wire yourself (not allowed by BT and not recommended by ourselves) but there are various guides out there to doing it.

The only other thing I've heard relates to double filtering your Sky box (two microfilters in series), as I've heard anecdotal evidence of this reducing interference generated by the modem in the Sky box.
Wed 18/11/09 at 04:01
Regular
Hi,

I've heard/read that iplates make no difference if you have no extension wiring, but could help reduce interference from nearby electrical equipment.

My line doesn't have extension wiring, but I do have the tv, sky box, pvr, router, laptop nearby.

Would I benefit from an iPlate, or could I benefit from an alternative solution?

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.