GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
".htaccess"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/01/07 at 20:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just a quick question to all you Freeola customers who are using the web space - is anybody making use of a .htaccess file?
Tue 16/01/07 at 17:53
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Ghostie:
"its disallowed at top-level .htaccess"

Just to clarify, do you mean you can only use a .htaccess file in the root directory, and not directly in a sub-folder?
Mon 08/01/07 at 20:08
Regular
"There's no place li"
I am using .htaccess for selective control of sub-directories - login pages for registered users, custom error pages within the restricted area etc

I'm using CoreFTP Lite (freeware) and it gives you the option (by right-clicking the directory window) to see the "Advanced View", which shows up the .htaccess file.

I did try using it to force a 301 re-direct (to hide the new url) and also to allow directory list view in the browser window (basically I was too lazy to create shortcuts to a whole load of photo's I'd uploaded, so thought I'd just turn on the directory view.... apparently I'm not allowed to do that!!! (its disallowed at top-level htaccess)

If you want any help with it, let me know. I run my own Apache server too!
Wed 03/01/07 at 01:59
Regular
I use it for custom error 404 pages, I have had no issues with it but if you get it wrong! woe betide as it will mess up your web space - be warned!

I use cute FTP usually to upload files but it does not see the .htaccess file, in the past I had to upload it as a text file then change it, very hap hazzard - now I use Firefox and it has a built in FTP client and it does see the .htaccess file and its so much easier

Kev
Tue 02/01/07 at 17:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Mind if I ask in what way you're making use of it? Have you come across any problems?

I only ask because I tried one a couple weeks back, worked fine on my PC, but didn't work once I'd uploaded it.
Tue 02/01/07 at 08:13
Regular
Yes I am
Mon 01/01/07 at 20:20
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Just a quick question to all you Freeola customers who are using the web space - is anybody making use of a .htaccess file?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.