GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why every gamer needs Nintendo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/06/04 at 20:18
Regular
"R-Kade 4 Life"
Nowadays, everybody supports one of the three major consoles: the PS2, the XBOX, and the GameCube. The GC now semms to have less followers than the other two consoles, as more and more people want to play games with better graphics and/or more adult games, like GTA. I am a loyal Nintendo fan, and everybody in my school asks me why i like Ninty so much. The reason is that they are responsible for almost anything that is released for a games console today.

Nintendo started as a trading cards manufacturer in the 19th century, and soon became a popular company. They made deals with other famous companies such as Walt Disney, increasing its popularity. By the 1970s, Nintendo got interested in a new craze that had been released...video games.

So Nintendo started making games, first was Donkey Kong which introduced the most famous character ever, Mario. More children in America can indentify Mario better than Mickey Mouse. They also released Mario Bros a few years on, as well as Popeye.
The company than carried on to create the world's first handheld games, using the Game 'n' Watch. They may have had rubbish graphics, but they sold by the bucket.

Video game consoles came next on the agenda. This area of gaming was dying out, so Nintendo knew that creating a new games console would be very risky. The NES was released in Japan in 1984, and this console saved the golden era of gaming.

Super Mario Bros was the first platformer ever, owning a world record for best selling game. Duck Hunt used the light gun that is used in games like Time Crisis nowadays. The ROB (Robotic Operating Buddy) was also an innovation, and can sell for quite a lot of money on eBay. Super Mario Bros 3 has been remade twice. The Legend of Zelda also introduced the Action RPG instead of a turn based one.

In 1989 the Game Boy was released alongside Tetris. The GB owns a world record for the most popular handheld games console, with over 1million people owning a GB, a GBP, a GBC, a GBA, or a GBA SP.
With the release of the SNES, Nintendo invented shoulder buttons. These are found on all major consoles today. Also the Super FX chip found in some games like Yoshi’s Island started to create fake 3D objects. The Super Game Boy allowed you for the first time ever to play Game Boy games on your television.

The big innovation is when the N64 appeared alongside Mario 64, the first true 3D game ever. Mario 64 was the first game that allowed you to swivel the camera around to get a better view, used in all 3D platformers nowadays. 1080 Snowboarding was the first extreme sports sim. The N64 controller also invented the analogue stick, and the rumble feature used in every major console out now. Games like Mario Golf, Pokemon Stadium and Mario Tennis let you connect your Game Boy to your N64 and to access new features.

The GBA was released here in 2001. The most powerful handheld console available, until the release of the Nintendo DS and the PSP. The GBA SP added more features and became the first handheld to use rechargeable batteries instead of standard ones.

Finally, the GameCube, the little purple/black box that most people don’t want to buy. The real innovation here are the small discs that prevent piracy. It is more portable then the other major consoles, such as the humungous Xbox. The WaveBird was also the first controller to have no wires as well as a frequency that you can adjust so four people can use WaveBird’s simultaneously. Donkey Konga, coming soon, will also be a new creation. Instead of using your feet like on Konami Dance Stage, you have to use bongos to create the rhythm.

Upon the release of the upcoming Nintendo DS next Spring, we will finally be able to interact with the games. The touchscreen will open up new doors, and with full 3D graphics, we can play amazing games, such as Metroid Prime: Hunters, on the move. Backwards compatibility means it will be able to play even the first Game Boy game.

Nintendo don’t just stick to video games, though. They’ve made a tamagotchi-style Pocket Pikachu that encourages exercise. They’ve made movies, such as the Metroid movie that is coming in 2006 (directed by John Woo), not to forget trading cards. Nintendo have even broken the world record for the largest serving on pasta.

See, if Nintendo never existed, the whole video game business would have collapsed, but if it managed to survive, then it still wouldn’t be the same. Sony, Sega, Microsoft and so many other companies owe so much to Nintendo, I think that you do to. Who needs Nintendo? Every single gamer in the world.

Thanks to:
Guinness World Records
Nintendo Official Magazine UK
Cube Magazine
Gameaday
Shigeru Miyamoto and all the other hard working people at Ninty
Sat 19/06/04 at 20:27
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Preaching to the converted mate, but good effort.

It's what we all know and yet are incredulous to see the PS2 in particular do so well. It's not as if Nintendo is 'too hardcore' either. The average Nintendo game is far more accessible, fun and a laugh than any 'casual gamer' game I know on any console - and yet it's also skilled to an extent, and better than any 'classic' on other consoles as well!

It's bizzarre and sad, but that's the way it is.
Sat 19/06/04 at 19:29
Regular
No rush.

Everyone starts as a newbie.
It's not like a disease. :-)

Basically, people will treat you based on how you write.

This wasn't bad a first posts go...
I mean it was a reasonably written and informed post, just no interest to us because, without meaning to sound too arrogant :-), we actually know better! ;-P

Anysway, welcome to the forums and all that, and just be yourself*.

* just no txt spk!!! :-)
Sat 19/06/04 at 19:13
Regular
"R-Kade 4 Life"
> Well, I've bought every NOM since the issue they began to call
> themselves "Official Nintendo Magazine" (The one with ISS
> 64 review), and I do believe the magazine is getting better (at least
> not as biased anymore).

I only discovered NOM in the issue when they revealed the GBA and the GameCube. And from now on I'll stop talking in text. I'm only a newbie because I can't be bothered to chat in the forums a lot. I've just started on the forums now, I want to become a 'regular' quickly.
Sat 19/06/04 at 17:55
"Hi"
I have arguments about which console is the best, I always support the 'cube, I have convinced one person that the 'cube is good, most other people hate Nintendo, but I'm still glad I have a 'Cube and had a N64 because they are superior. !
Sat 19/06/04 at 10:27
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
kr¥ko$_NiNt¥_1™ wrote:
> Nowadays, everybody supports one of the three major consoles: the PS2,
> the XBOX, and the GameCube.

Oh, and that really isn't true.
Sat 19/06/04 at 10:25
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Nobody I know is retarded enough to insult me on basis of which console I own. I have two/three mates with GC's too, which ain't too bad.
Sat 19/06/04 at 09:42
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
I guess since most people view the Gamecube as a kid's console, and not a a "Mature, blood filled game's machine" like the X-Box and PS2, which also doesn't make sense since the 'Cube does have titles like "Resident Evil 0-4", "Eternal Darkness" and the up and comming "Killer 7".

Shame really that fans only focus on "Babyish" titles (E.g Super Monkey Ball), despite the 'Cube having some top quality titles aimed at a more mature audience.
Sat 19/06/04 at 08:26
Regular
I regularly have the písss taken out of me for having a Gamecube, but, one mate says he'd like it if he had one, another doesn't have any, but his brother got a Gamecube becasue he'd played mine, and the rest couldn't care less.
Fri 18/06/04 at 23:58
Regular
"A Ghost Of You"
kr¥ko$_NiNt¥_1™ wrote:
> I've sorted out the paragraphing. Thanx 4 likin it. Even though i am a
> newbie, i no my stuff. I've bought every issue of NOM since issue 98,
> or somefin around that.
> My inspiration was that everybody in my skool kept on askin me y i
> liked Nintendo, cos they all thought it was 4 babies.
> Quite ironic, the people who are saying i should stop liking Nintendo
> made me to decide to do this short essay.

Well, I've bought every NOM since the issue they began to call themselves "Official Nintendo Magazine" (The one with ISS 64 review), and I do believe the magazine is getting better (at least not as biased anymore).

Anyway, in my School too, people question why I bought a 'Cube, instead of an X-Box or a PS2, but in the end, I still prefer the 'Cube and thats all that matters.

By the mate, since your new, take my advice, try to spell everything probably, not in TXT, I don't care, it's just that older members of the forums are quite grumpy and regulary take the p*** out of newbies. Apart from that, welcome to the forums.
Fri 18/06/04 at 23:42
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Yeah, well I've bought every issue of NGC since issue 20, and that's actually a mag worth reading. ;-P

(OOOOOH! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!)

Whilst I didn't entirely understand the point of the post, it was nicely worded all the same. Not bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.