GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driv3r"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Driv3r'.
Wed 23/06/04 at 18:48
Regular
Got this this morning from Special Reserve, who kindly sent it out early.

It's not the flawless, revolutionary title that I was hoping for but it's certainly not a disappointment. The car physics are wonderful - the Take A Ride mode really is a joy. Motorbikes have been implemented better than in GTA, and I've also got behind the wheel of a nifty "Cigarette" boat. Level design is absolutely superb - everything's interactive, and there are ramps, rooftoops, etc.

The on foot dynamics aren't quite as good. The aiming is a nice touch once you get used to it, and a welcome change from the lock on system in GTA. There's also a competent selection of weapons, from what I've seen, making the combat a fairly decent aspect, although there's no hand-to-hand stuff. However, the lack of a climb button really is a disappointment and jumping only takes you about a foot off the ground. This means falling in the sea can often mean you'll have to restart - you can swim (albeit slowly), but getting out requires a ladder, steps or gradual slope. Rolling is slow and mechanical.

The Undercover mode (the main story) is beautifully cinematic, atmospheric and well acted. The majority of the missions are superbly varied and great fun, but a minority require a little more perfection than is enjoyable and the on-foot orientated missions aren't as good. But they've stayed true to what they do so excellently, and it's primarily and majoritorily a driving game. On first impressions it's a little more linear than promised, but I'm not too far in and therefore expect it to open up a bit once the main storyline kicks in.

Graphics are a mixed bag. FMVs are, of course wonderful, but in game it varies shockingly. The draw distance on static scenery, for example buildings and trees, etc, is superb - but for cars and people, pop-up is just as bad as it was in Vice City. This you can overlook, however, as the buildings and vehicles are modelled beautifully. In fact, the graphics really are rather impressive, except that in some instances they can fall back to near PSOne standard. Anyone with the game looking for an example should take a look at the cut-scene just before you enter the firing range on the first mission.

I've already rambled on for more than I was intending, so I'll just quickly mention that director mode is in-depth and excellent, and the police/enemy AI is vastly improved and pretty decent. All in all, recommended and worthwhile. Not quite as good as GTA3, but in my opinion better than Vice City.
Mon 28/06/04 at 22:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Wooh! I unlocked Istanbul today, but I haven't really tried it out yet.

By the way, the invincibility cheat doesn't work in Undercover mode, and some of those missions really are a b!tch.

*SPOILER*
I spent ages trying that mission where you have to kill Fabienne until I got really peeved off. But then I thought, why don't I just try shooting her as her car drives past me? And it worked. I've done quite a few of those little 'shortcuts' now.

:)
Sun 27/06/04 at 23:08
Regular
Try out Beethoven's 9th :-)
Sun 27/06/04 at 23:04
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
If you have Rammstiens' album, Mutter, then put it into your hard-drive and use it with Driver. It just works, especially on the slow-mo replays.
Fri 25/06/04 at 23:27
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
www.gamefaqs.com

All the cheats are there, it wouldn't be fair if I posted them here.
Fri 25/06/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Insert Gently"
Lou Role wrote:
> Never mind, I've just found a load of cheats, so I can just unlock all
> the cars, weapons and be invincible. Wooh.
>
> :@)

Wat are the cheats ?
Fri 25/06/04 at 22:35
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Yea the director mode's brilliant, and now that I have the grenade launcher I can create some pretty cool looking stuff. That thing throws cars 50ft into the air.

:)
Fri 25/06/04 at 18:44
Regular
Trust me - get into the director's mode. It's worth the asking price alone.
Thu 24/06/04 at 23:27
Regular
"Touched!"
Mav wrote:
> Well, you're obviously entitled to your opinion on the car handling
> but I personally feel it's nigh on perfect.

I'm gonna give it more time I'm not one to give up, I must say again that the bikes do rule.
Thu 24/06/04 at 23:14
Regular
Well, you're obviously entitled to your opinion on the car handling but I personally feel it's nigh on perfect.
Thu 24/06/04 at 22:54
Regular
"Touched!"
Lou Role wrote:
> The handling isn't supposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be
> cinematic. But I hate the pick-ups with the raised suspension
> though, they tip over far too easily.

In my view it isn't even cinematic, it's getting better but personally I don't like the handling on the cars.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.