GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games to Movies-Movies to Games. Do They Work??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/07/01 at 21:36
Regular
Quite a few popular games have been made into movies, and some popular movies have been made into games. With the release of Tomb Raider on the big screen, starring Angelina Jolie, I thought I'd go through the good points and the bad points, of the transformation of games to movies, and vice versa.

Lets start with games to movies. As I've said, the PlayStation, PC and Dreamcast game Tomb Raider, has been made into a big Hollywood movie, with Angelina Jolie starring as the heroine Lara Croft. The series was loved all over the world (although I, personally, didn't like it much, especially the way she moved. How many times did I walk into walls?! Arrgghh!!)
Due to it's popularity (I believe Lara's chest contributed largely), it was decided that it would make the perfect movie.
Although, I feel that a game with a better plot (Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex) would have been a better choice, the action in the TR games might prove the choice to be a good one after all.
So, in a choice of HIT, MISS or MAYBE my verdict on this movie is...MAYBE!

My feelings are sort of the same for another game that is apparently being turned into a movie AND a TV Series. Perfect Dark, which was a huge hit for the N64 (mainly because of it's superb multiplayer mode,) is set to hit our screens quite soon, when Rare accepted an offer for the PD movie/TV licensing.
Once again, I don't agree with this choice. The plot in Perfect Dark is...basic. For a game, the plot's pretty good, but a movie?? A TV series?? Somehow, I just don't think so.

But guess what?? The star of PD is the luscious Joanna Dark (I suspect a beautiful-but-tough Hollywood superstar to take her role in the movie,) and just like in TR, I can expect to see the boys watching Joanna Dark on the big screen, and nothing else.
I suppose there will be some good action, and some 'nice' weapons, but I think this movie may be a...MISS!

There are a few others, Resident Evil was announced as being made into a movie quite a while ago, and although I haven't heard much on it, this movie could be rather good. It gets a MAYBE, just because I haven't heard much about this lately.

Lets move on hastily, shall we??

Quite a few movies have been turned into some sort of game, and I have to admit it, not many of them are any good.

Take Tomorrow Never Dies on PlayStation. A good enough Bond movie, but in many people's minds, an awful game. The graphics aren't special, gameplay is annoying, movement is annoying, it's not very long and there's no multiplayer.

But there is good news!! Everyone loves the Star Wars saga (Ant smiles hopefully,) and I take it everyone loved Episode 1!! (Everyone shuffles feet until finally someone shouts out, "No, you mindless idiot!"

Well, some people liked it, and I'm one of them. And I have to say, the video games that have come out of the series are rather good as well. The Phantom Menace, which is out on PC and PlayStation got a mixed reception. I loved it, PSM loved it. Others such as GameSpot, hated it.

Then there was Jedi Power Battles, out on PlayStation and Dreamcast. This game was a big hit due to it's great action, and it's superb gameplay features. (Ant begins to grumble) Of course, if the ledges weren't so damn far away from eachother, then I'd be able to get past the 4th level....anyway, this game was a success.

Episode 1: Racer was a simulation of the Pod Racing Event in Episode 1. Due to it's awesome popularity, it was released on N64, PC and PSX. The sequel is soon to be released on the one and only PlayStation 2.

Star Wars: StarFighter is a major hit on PS2, along with Battle For Naboo on N64.

The only poor game that has come from Episode 1 is Super Bimbad Racing, which leaves a lot to be desired.

So, the conversion from movie to game was a success there. But what else is there??

Aliens Vs Predator on PC, that's what. With awesome graphics, gameplay, sound, weapons and online multiplayer, this game was a massive hit. A definite success. The same goes for the Die Hard Trilogy, which is a hugely fun game on PSX.

So overall, it's not too bad. Games to movies are yet to prove themselves, but movies to games have proved to be quite popular, apart from the rare occasion.
I personally hope the Tomb Raider movie works out well, and also hope that more great movies get turned into great games.

Thanks for reading, An-"What about TV Programs?!" You all ask.

*Ant shudders* Just 2 words. X-Files.

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Sat 07/07/01 at 10:06
Regular
"One More Chance"
I think alot of games can make great movies for example the new Tomb Raider full of special effects and Lara looks mighty fine altough i did not actually like all the Tomb Raider games i thought some of them wre abit boring like the 3rd one but thats just my opionion.

Then we go on to the truly awful movies which ruin a perfectley decent game i am of course talking about Mortal Kombat. I mean i dont know whether it was a huge budget film but lets hope for there sake that it wasent other wise the company who made it will be taking out more loans or they might of just declared the companys bankrupt!

Now we go on to movies to games for example the classic Star Wars you either like the film or you dont i persinally dont like it but the games are entertaining all except Star Wars Shadow Of The Emprie which has to have the worst gameplay ever in the history of gameing. But there are other games which are good for this example im going to use Star Wars Episode 1 racer this game has great coures to race around and of course great graphics and if you have the expansion pack the graphics and realesem are taken up a notch which i thought was impossible.

So to sum it up i think games to movies usually do work with some exceptions and movies to games work.

Thanxs for reading (if you did)
Sat 07/07/01 at 09:29
Goatboy wrote:
> Dune is based on the novels by Frank Herbert.

They made movies
> and games from the book, and none of them have been massively
> spectacular.

Is the originl game any good?
Sat 07/07/01 at 09:28
If you are talking revenus then nothing Compare's to Pokemon, allthough the Pokemon movies follwed a hugly sucseefull TV seires Pokemon was still developed originaly as a computer game.
Fri 06/07/01 at 09:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Mewtwo wrote:
> What about the Wing Commandor Film? Terable Game series

Wing Commander was groundbreaking in its time...

The presentation, graphics, style and cenimatic style plot were all (at the time) unpresidented...
Fri 06/07/01 at 09:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Dune is based on the novels by Frank Herbert.

They made movies and games from the book, and none of them have been massively spectacular.
Fri 06/07/01 at 09:05
What about the Wing Commandor Film? Terable Game series to terriable Movie? Also is DUNE based on the Game, vice versa or not related?
Thu 05/07/01 at 22:57
There have been many naff film to game conversions.
Blade on the playstation, things like back to the future on the megadrive and most of these probably all were terrible.
I think its because all categories of games could probably be converted in to films (except puzzle games like tetris of course and so on) as games are very plot driven and lots of games these days try to imitate movies they try to make you feel like your in the game. Take for example American beauty could you make a game out of it?
No way because what is the plot of American beauty about ?
And what type of game could you make?
Disney films are often successfully turned into platform adventures for kids but there about the only type.
Its very hard for a film to have the right formula for a game because the plots of films dont categoriz into game genres.
But the films that are made that are based on games are often ones that match the game genre.
Tomb raider an action film based on an action/platformer.
Mortal kombat a film about combat based on a fighting game.
The bound to be amazing Final Fantasy that is a film about human self discovery (i think) is based on games that are to do with this.

Do these conversions work..? well not all ways as Mario i think showed. Not a bad game but a not all too fantastic plot for a live action film (they didnt do bad with what they had though).
Tomb raider will be enjoyed by fans as was mortal kombat probably. Final Fantasy will be loved by all because its the best game ever (nice and impartial there) and the films looks to be amazing graphically and story wise.

So do conversions work the opbvious answer is ...
i dont know
Wed 04/07/01 at 15:58
Regular
"I like cheese"
FF will be good, hopefully.

Mortal Kombat was...okay.

Sorry I posted this on both forums, but I felt that it applied to both.
Wed 04/07/01 at 10:35
Mortal Kombat - funky music, but shocking acting.
And Highlander's Christopher Lambert was in it! What?

Final Fantasy should be good though. Can't wait for that gem.
Wed 04/07/01 at 09:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Zombies do rock.

Slow, brainless creatures of basic motor skills.

Hmmmm...Limp Bizkit...strange

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.