GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Retro Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/07/04 at 23:07
Regular
With all the Retro Gaming consoles/Handsets being advertised at the moment, with prices ranging from about £20 up to over £50, wouldn't it make sense for someone to release a compilation of retro games for a modern console like the XBox. It would save finding a home for all that new hardware. I enjoy alot of the high spec games for the XBox, but sometimes it's just nice to induldge in a bit of mindless retro gaming.
Fri 09/07/04 at 20:18
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Retro gaming is a joke.
>
> Only a very very very minute few games from yesteryear are actually
> any fun to play nowadays - Civ 1, Carrier Command,
> Zeldas/Metroids/Marios etc, to name a few. Sure, they might be
> 'classics', and steeped in nostalgia, but I gurantee thay if I dug
> out the Amiga, popped on 'Nine Lives' or some other game, I'd play
> for about 10 minutes, and get infuriated, and go and play a modern
> game.

I probably should have made myself clearer from the start. The retro games I was talking about were the arcade games from the 1980's. Very low quality graphics & annoying music, but addictive game play. Just a bit of nostalgia.

Games such as Galaxians, Defender, and loads of others I can't even remember the names of 20 years later. Games that were around long before the home computer took off.

I had just noticed that browsing through the umpteen shopping channels on Sky digital that a number of them were doing small handheld units that plug into the TV offering those retro style of games. The prices seemed to vary between £20-£50 and I was just wondering out loud if any companies would consider releasing a compilation for a modern day console, thus saving on having to buy and store new hardware.
Fri 09/07/04 at 13:43
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Retro gaming is a joke.

Only a very very very minute few games from yesteryear are actually any fun to play nowadays - Civ 1, Carrier Command, Zeldas/Metroids/Marios etc, to name a few. Sure, they might be 'classics', and steeped in nostalgia, but I gurantee thay if I dug out the Amiga, popped on 'Nine Lives' or some other game, I'd play for about 10 minutes, and get infuriated, and go and play a modern game.
Fri 09/07/04 at 13:08
Regular
I almost forgot. I actually still have an Amiga game. I kept hold of it as I loved it so much. It's even the original, not the copy.

The game is Dungeon Master and Chaos Returns. Two games actually, but sold together. I used to really love playing Dungeon Master and played Chaos Returns to a standstill. I had killed all the monsters I could get too, but couldn't find my way futher into the game.

Those were the days :-)
Thu 08/07/04 at 09:41
Regular
"eat toast!"
"I guess the people that own the rights to the Amiga have to try and screw every pound they can out of fans in order to recoup their outlay on a format that died long before they came on the scene."

Actually, its some emulator gits who are trying to screw us over. The ROMS for the Amiga are mostly free ( Thank god). Look at gremlins website. All yester year goodness. Looking back on the Amiga emulator, i never saw it that complex just to play a game. I mean, you put disk in and it would owrk.
Wed 07/07/04 at 17:38
Regular
spoonbeast wrote:
> hang on, you've mentioned amiga emualtor, does that mean you've got
> the kick start rom? I mean, you have to pay 14 quid for that one
> folder alone just to play it.

I did, but not any more I'm afraid.

I guess the people that own the rights to the Amiga have to try and screw every pound they can out of fans in order to recoup their outlay on a format that died long before they came on the scene.
Wed 07/07/04 at 15:03
Regular
"eat toast!"
ah, emulation someones already done that. Porbalby without the companies concent but, you know, its done which is nice. Have you tried mame? you can get arcade goodness of the 80's in that. In fact its brilliant. It'll save you money and time to find, play and complete them.

Try gens thats a good mega drive emulator.

hang on, you've mentioned amiga emualtor, does that mean you've got the kick start rom? I mean, you have to pay 14 quid for that one folder alone just to play it.
Wed 07/07/04 at 14:58
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> Emulation is the way to go for true retro gaming.

I see your point

I have tried Emulation for the amiga in the past but never really enjoyed it that much. The windows version (especially) was pretty flakey.

The reason for posting the point in the first place was just to have something simple to chuck in your Xbox (as that is the console I happen to have) or PC and away you go.

I realise that to put together a compilation of all the great games from the arcases of the 80's would be virtually impossible because of all the different companies involved. But a man can dream :-)
Wed 07/07/04 at 12:07
Regular
Emulation is the way to go for true retro gaming. Sure, there are legality issues, but really - do you think the Cops are going to be busting your door down any time soon for playing Tapper?
Wed 07/07/04 at 11:46
Regular
I guess I must be too old for this gaming thing. I would just have loved to see a disk packed with all those great arcade games from the 80's. I suppose the copyrights would be owned by too many varied sources for them all to come together in one package.
I just used to really enjoy playing games like Mr Do, Galaxians, Some american football thing, I can't even remember them all. They perhaps may not have kept my attention for too long but I would have really enjoyed playing them again.
Tue 06/07/04 at 16:32
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Jerocks wrote:
> talkin of dremcasts i got mine out hte other night and i forgot how
> good it was in its time! even now its still better then the PS2

Words of Wisdom been spoke of there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.