GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goodbye Acclaim"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/07/04 at 17:00
Regular
Last friday Acclaim reported a loss of £25 billion....

Unless Acclaim can agree to a £30 million loan deal then it is highly likely they'll be forced to close their doors.

Do we care? No. Acclaim ditched us blaming Nintendo for poor sales, their games have been persistantly crap, the only good title they've produced over the last few years is now under EA's wing of publishing.

But that doesn't mean I'm not saddened by the news. Acclaim were Nintendo's strongest Western ally during the last generation, games such as Turok were exclusive with the WWF games they made, South Park games and even the spin off shooter Armorines ALL offerring extras over the Playstation additions.

Not to mention how superb Shadowman was, a game that was of course the best on the Nintendo system.

But Acclaim then went multi-format and made many exclusive games for the PS2... almost at the same time profits went in free fall.

And now they face bankcrupcy.

Are Acclaim living proof that Nintendo may not be to blame for poor sales... but poor game development is instead?

Hmmm Eidios? Codemasters?
Thu 08/07/04 at 23:19
Regular
I seem to be one of very few people to find both Burnout games boring, repetitive and extremely dull to play despite the fact they focus on the fast gameplay. I don't know whether it is the straight forward roads or the fact that Project Gotham 2 amongst a few other top racers over the years have raised my expectation levels too far. Burnout 3 looks to correct a lot of the problems I have with the first two, mainly the replay value due to the excellent inclusion of LIVE play.

Hardly a loss on any level, aside from the original NBA Jam on the Mega Drive and the original Mortal Kombat I don't think they have ever managed to pull something really special out of the bag, the only possible exception being the original Turok. From what I have read around the net their financially position is worse than reported as they continually work at a loss. Possibly the problem why all of their games over the last 4-5 years have been pretty crap.
Thu 08/07/04 at 19:44
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> And Shadowman is a massive adventure strafio that you get deeper and
> deeper into. It has a compelling story, it is very deep, very funny,
> easy to play and most of all... fantastic.
>
> So get out.

I'm sure it get's better, but the controlling I tasted was very much like Tombraider, making the game sort of tedious, and I don't have a memory card to make progress with.

But yeah, I'll take your word that I would've grown to like it...

The snake was pretty cool... :-)
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:50
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> Yeah that's why they lasted 15+ years. They just sold tat all that
> time.
>
> Well if it works for Sony...

Since the 'edit function' also appears to be screwed now.

VIVA LA WLT!!
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:48
Regular
"8==="
Yeah that's why they last 15+ years. They just sold tat all that time.

Well if it works for Sony...
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:42
Regular
"elsonar.co.uk"
Acclaim who??? never heard of them - they must have only released sh*te games!
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:35
Regular
"8==="
Nintendo'll probably realise Acclaim are gone in about hmmmmm five years.
Thu 08/07/04 at 09:54
Regular
Maybe Nintendo'll grab the license for their Retro boys?

Heh not a chance.
Thu 08/07/04 at 02:34
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/07/news_6102086.html[/URL]

No more Turok or MLB, from Acclaim anyway.
Wed 07/07/04 at 13:50
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Faithful enough to release major titles on the GameCube half a year
> after they've been on Xbox and a few months after PS2?

We got Rayman 3 first... Sony paid for a Christmas exclusive and Microsoft pay for a temp exclusivity of Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six 3.

Ubi-Soft still support Nintendo in full because they make good games...

And therefore said games sell because they are good.

Acclaim haven't made a good game in a long time and therefore they do not sell on the Gamecube.

Good news maybe for Worms fans, if Acclaim do go under before the release of the Worms 3D sequel then Team 17 will be searching for a new publisher, one that maybe willing to release the title for the Gamecube.

And Shadowman is a massive adventure strafio that you get deeper and deeper into. It has a compelling story, it is very deep, very funny, easy to play and most of all... fantastic.

So get out.
Wed 07/07/04 at 03:26
Regular
I thought so too... :-)

Personally, I think that the future is a little brighter.
With MS putting a lot of focus into its middleware, games will be a lot cheaper to produce, and all the effort will go into game design rather than the core programming.

More creating, less debugging and less bugs in the finished product.

Looks like the next generation will be the stabilisation rather than the revolution of the industry...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.