GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tekken 4 and the Future of Tekken"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/07/01 at 18:36
Regular
When you first lay your eyes on this forum, you may
think that there is nothing much that can be said about Tekken 4, knowing Tekken 4 is in the distant future. If you are one of those people, you will be pleasantly surprised that there is a lot now know about Tekken 4 that has been learnt in the last month. But what is in store for the future of Tekken and what future does Tekken have.

Tekken has always been one of the strongest bricks in the Playstation castle. Tekken 1 was a or the most anticipated release title for the Playstation, much like the Mario games that brought Nintendo so much success, not forgetting Sega's answer to Mario - Sonic the Hedgehog, thanks to which Sega enjoyed a few weeks of profit (jk).

Next came Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 in which Tekken shared absolute greatness with the Final Fantasy series. It seemed as if people couldn't get enough of Tekken and they were not without cause with the ever-growing variety of characters, realism and move list not mentioning the awesome storylines.

"What's next?" was on everybody's lips. Of course we all know what came next - the core PS2 release title Tekken Tag Tournament. With every character ever, tag mode, tekken bowling mode, graphics in which every blade of grass is fully animated and speed you could only dream about; as for the playability, I don't even have to humour you. A title like this would undoubtedly sit firmly at the top of the PS2 charts for a long time.

Fantasy is sweeter than reality as far as the charts go. Over at Japan it has stayed in the top 10 but back in the UK it wasn't soon before it slumped to near the bottom of the top 10 and is now out of the top 10 charts for PS2 games. What a blow for the core PS2 release title? Is the UK market growing bored of Tekken?

Enough for our history lesson, the future is Tekken 4 and how do you really feel about Tekken. Will you or are you still willing to get the next in the series. I don't expect you to make the decision uninformed and boy am I going to inform you.

The place to start is the beginning and in this case the beginning is the storyline courtesy of the Official Tekken 4 Site: www.namcoarcade.com /tekken4/index.asp

Two years ago, Heihachi failed to capture Ogre.

Not willing to give up, Heihachi ordered his researchers to collect blood samples, skin tissue, and hoof fragments left behind by Ogre (or known as True Ogre in its true manifestation) in order to conduct genetic experiments. Heihachi’s goal was to create a new life form by splicing Ogre’s genome with his own. However, the research was unsuccessful.

After extensive experimentation, Heihachi’s bioengineers came to the conclusion that an additional gene - the Devil Gene - was necessary in order to successfully splice Ogre’s genetic code into another living organism. Heihachi learned that his own genome lacked the Devil Gene, but he knew someone who did...

Jin Kazama.

Jin, who vanquished Ogre in The King of Iron Fist Tournament 3, was shot and mortally wounded by Heihachi. As his life slipped away, Jin transformed into a Devil. Upon his transformation, he struck down Heihachi and took flight.

Jin’s whereabouts were unknown after the Tournament.

Heihachi searched for Jin to no avail. However, Heihachi discovered a photograph during his investigation that stirred his curiosity. The 20-year-old photograph was an image of a burnt corpse covered with laceration wounds.
Heihachi paid particular attention to the corpse’s back, which had what looked like deformed, protruding wing-like limbs.

Convinced that the picture was of Kazuya, his own son whom he threw into a volcano 20 years ago, Heihachi diverted all his resources into a search for the body. This search eventually led Heihachi to G Corporation, a leading-edge biotech firm making unprecedented advances in the field of biogenetics research.

Heihachi discovered that G Corporation found the corpse and extracted and analyzed its genetic data. In fact, Heihachi learned that the company was in the midst of creating a new life form by using the data. Heihachi also determined that Kazuya’s remains and research data were secured at G Corporation’s Nebraska and Nepal research laboratories, respectively.

Friday, 25 December. The Tekken Force raided G Corporation’s maximum security research laboratory in Nepal. The bottom floors of the building were obliterated, and the remaining data storage facility containing file servers was airlifted by a group of heavy-duty helicopters.

At the same time, a separate unit led by Heihachi infiltrated the underground research facility in Nebraska, where Kazuya’s remains were preserved. As Heihachi observed from his helicopter, he soon realized that unlike the Nepal facility, the operations in Nebraska were not going according to plan. The tactical status monitor screens showed the first wave of the Tekken Force troops being blown out from the storage room where Kazuya’s remains were supposedly kept.

A silhouette of a large figure slowly emerged from the room... When Heihachi could see clearly enough, he instantly recognized the large figure as Kazuya.

Kazuya was resurrected in G Corporation’s research facility. After his resurrection, Kazuya offered his body as research material to determine the true nature of the Devil that resided within him. Kazuya’s goal was to unify his two selves into one. Kazuya theorized that if he unified his body with the Devil, he would be able to truly harness its powers. He could then finally take revenge against Heihachi and the Mishima Zaibatsu (Financial Empire).

Enraged that Heihachi thwarted his plans, Kazuya obliterated the heavily armed Tekken Force and vanished into the flames of the lab’s wreckage.

Heihachi was infuriated by Kazuya’s escape and took out his anger on his hapless subordinates who reported the

Abel, Heihachi’s escape.lead scientific advisor, urged the enraged Heihachi to quickly find a way to capture Kazuya. Once his anger subsided, Heihachi focused his mind and decided on a plan. An evil smile crept upon his lips.

Two years had passed since The King of Iron Fist Tournament 3.

The Mishima Zaibatsu announced The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4 and placed the massive financial empire as the top prize.

The champion who manages to defeat Heihachi at the end of the Tournament would inherit the Mishima Zaibatsu.

Well aware that the tournament is just a trap designed to lure him out, Kazuya nevertheless enters - it is his chance to defeat Heihachi.

As for the characters, 10 have been confirmed so far: Paul Phoenix, Ling Xiaoyu, Christie Monteiro, Craig Marduk, Yoshimitsu, Steve Fox, Hwoarang, Kazuya Mishima, King and Marshall Law. There have been quite a few changes but I'll let you decide whether they are for better or for worse.

For button presses I used the usual "move language" for Tekken moves:

1 is square
2 is triangle
3 is x
4 is circle
f is forwards
b is backwards
u is up
d is down
d/f is between down and forwards etc.
+ means "at the same time as"
, means followed by
~ means immediately followed by

Paul has nothing much new, so far his falling leaf (or "bone breaker" as many of us know it) (d+4,2) doesn't have to be hit as deep to trip as in Tekken Tag Tournament and he has a new costume with his hair down.

Yoshimitsu still holds his sword in his left hand despite reports, a new suit with useless wings and his sword reversal (b+1+4) is blockable but Yoshimitsu may learn moves reversed by the sword reversal according to a Japanese playstation magazine.

Hwoarang has some of Baek's moves and can now shift flamingo stances without kicking.

Kazuya's wind godfist (f,n,d,d/f+2) now hits high and knocks away on counterhit like Jin, the same probably goes for his electric wind godfist (f~n~d~d/f+2), demon slayer's (1,1,2) and twin pistons' (while getting up from a crouch 1,2) final hit is not guaranteed even if the other hits hit and the latter does not juggle if opponent is crouching.

King has acquired some of Armour King's moves: parting chop (b+1), elbow knife (while getting up from a crouch 1), shadow lariat (f,n,d,d/f+1), black knee rising (f,n,d,d/f+4) and a type of palm strike (f,f+1); King has also been reported to get back his Tekken 2 suit outfit.

As for Law, he has lost his universal low parry (d/f).

There is not much info on the newbies but here goes.

Christie is apparently the daughter of the Capoeira master that taught Eddy, good news for Eddy fans.
Craig was released early from a 10-year manslaughter sentence when an anonymous benefactor paid off some officials. He soon received an invitation to the tournament. He is rumoured to be a pro wrestler but don't take my word for it.

Steve is a young British boxer who is on the run from the mafia. We know a little about Steve's moves: he has 5 sway/dodge boxer style stances or dodges done by pressing (3) (4) (3+4) (b+3+4) or (f+3+4), he also has a (1,2,1,2) rushing combo that juggles.

Sure you've read the info, the story line and character changes but you ain't seen nothin' 'till you seen the game itself and if I had to describe it visually in one word, it would be gorgeous. What was that? You want to see it? I thought you'd never ask.

Lets start off with something simple. You can pick up the Tekken 4 logo, some character mug shots and some pretty impressive screenshots at www.highwaygames.com/body.php3? action=mach_view&pg=0&machine_id=2214 .

It shows that Tekken 4 has walls!! The walls apparently are good for cornering you foe and knocking him/her with a vicious combo or juggle as s/he bounces between the wall and your fist. Good stuff… for starters.

If you want something of more quality, there are some great hi-res pics at www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/news /2001_06/28-1.shtml and a Tekken 4 poster, data sheet and intro screenshots at www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ news/2001_06/20-4.shtml .

Not everybody likes looking at still pics and some would prefer something that tells you more about the game and I have the thing just for those with time on their hands (about 25 minutes). There are 4 video clips: Steve vs. Kazuya, Steve vs. King, Xiaoyu vs. Paul and Yoshimitsu vs. Xiaoyu at http://ps2.ign.com/news /36063.html check it out.

Duum, dum, dum, duum, dum, duuuum. It's the big one. If you want a movie that includes the intro, the embu and matches that includes every player that has been confirmed so far. It's a hefty 88.1 Megs so unless you have an awesome LAN connection or a "day" to spare I recommend you pick up this beauty at an Internet café. To get your hands on it take yourself over to www.gameplayers.com.hk/videogames /arcade2001/main_news.html and click on the Japanese link under the date "25/6/2001". Now click on the link called "<> Video Segment" to start the streaming media download.

Tekken 4 will be released in arcades or on PS2's (I'm not sure) around Japan starting from late July so it's still quite a bit far off for us.

Now that you have completed the path to total Tekken enlightenment: Will you be buying Tekken 4? Has this affected your decision on whether you will buy it? What are your opinions on the changes or/and new features (including the big news that Tekken 4 has walls)? Do you have something to say about previous Tekken games related or unrelated to Tekken 4? Do you know anything I missed? Do you have any questions about Tekken games (except Tekken 1)(I'll try to get a reply on any questions)? Anything at all.

I'll stick around for a while and let you say whatever you want really. Watch out for updates on the low-down on Tekken 4 some time in the future.

Signing off for now,

Heihachi.
Tue 03/07/01 at 14:25
Regular
"Playsation rules!!!"
Hey who here thinks that Tekken Tag Tournament is cool?
Tue 03/07/01 at 14:23
Regular
"Playsation rules!!!"
STOP SENDING LONG MESSAGES!!!!!!!!!
Could you at least change the font-size to a smaller type?
I lost track in Australia!
Tue 03/07/01 at 10:55
No matter what i think or say at this point i'll end up buying it as soon as it comes out. I got hooked on Tekken 3 when a friend lent it to me. TTT was the first PS2 game i bought when i got my PS2 and i still spend many hours on that (although i have reached a certain level of "sadness", so i'm trying to cut down! Survival, 85 wins!!!) Tekken, in my view, is the best fighting game out.
Anyway, the game. I'm sure Heihachi will make an appearance, seeing as though you get the financial business by beating him. I hope some other characters from Tekken 3 and 2 are there as well, but for some reason i think that Devil-Jin might make come in somehow. If not a playable character then maybe in one of the cinematics or something along those lines.
Do you know what "sub-game" they will have? I mean Tekken 3 had beach ball mode and Tekken Force and TTT had Tekken Bowl, which were nice touches and allowed to have a nice break when you had enough of beating the crap out of somebody.
Tekken 4 will certainly be on my shopping list.

Darkreaper
Mon 02/07/01 at 19:49
I'm off to the internet cafe to download the 88 Megs monster again.
Mon 02/07/01 at 19:23
I've seen the game and I can assure you quality.
Mon 02/07/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
thats a great post you should win gad for that.
thans for all the info on the story.
i cant wait its gonna be so much better than tekken tag.
Mon 02/07/01 at 18:53
Anybody???
Mon 02/07/01 at 18:41
Never mind and ignore spaces in the internet addresses.
Mon 02/07/01 at 18:38
Sorry about the double vision. I don't know what happened.
Mon 02/07/01 at 18:36
When you first lay your eyes on this forum, you may
think that there is nothing much that can be said about Tekken 4, knowing Tekken 4 is in the distant future. If you are one of those people, you will be pleasantly surprised that there is a lot now know about Tekken 4 that has been learnt in the last month. But what is in store for the future of Tekken and what future does Tekken have.

Tekken has always been one of the strongest bricks in the Playstation castle. Tekken 1 was a or the most anticipated release title for the Playstation, much like the Mario games that brought Nintendo so much success, not forgetting Sega's answer to Mario - Sonic the Hedgehog, thanks to which Sega enjoyed a few weeks of profit (jk).

Next came Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 in which Tekken shared absolute greatness with the Final Fantasy series. It seemed as if people couldn't get enough of Tekken and they were not without cause with the ever-growing variety of characters, realism and move list not mentioning the awesome storylines.

"What's next?" was on everybody's lips. Of course we all know what came next - the core PS2 release title Tekken Tag Tournament. With every character ever, tag mode, tekken bowling mode, graphics in which every blade of grass is fully animated and speed you could only dream about; as for the playability, I don't even have to humour you. A title like this would undoubtedly sit firmly at the top of the PS2 charts for a long time.

Fantasy is sweeter than reality as far as the charts go. Over at Japan it has stayed in the top 10 but back in the UK it wasn't soon before it slumped to near the bottom of the top 10 and is now out of the top 10 charts for PS2 games. What a blow for the core PS2 release title? Is the UK market growing bored of Tekken?

Enough for our history lesson, the future is Tekken 4 and how do you really feel about Tekken. Will you or are you still willing to get the next in the series. I don't expect you to make the decision uninformed and boy am I going to inform you.

The place to start is the beginning and in this case the beginning is the storyline courtesy of the Official Tekken 4 Site: www.namcoarcade.com /tekken4/index.asp

Two years ago, Heihachi failed to capture Ogre.

Not willing to give up, Heihachi ordered his researchers to collect blood samples, skin tissue, and hoof fragments left behind by Ogre (or known as True Ogre in its true manifestation) in order to conduct genetic experiments. Heihachi’s goal was to create a new life form by splicing Ogre’s genome with his own. However, the research was unsuccessful.

After extensive experimentation, Heihachi’s bioengineers came to the conclusion that an additional gene - the Devil Gene - was necessary in order to successfully splice Ogre’s genetic code into another living organism. Heihachi learned that his own genome lacked the Devil Gene, but he knew someone who did...

Jin Kazama.

Jin, who vanquished Ogre in The King of Iron Fist Tournament 3, was shot and mortally wounded by Heihachi. As his life slipped away, Jin transformed into a Devil. Upon his transformation, he struck down Heihachi and took flight.

Jin’s whereabouts were unknown after the Tournament.

Heihachi searched for Jin to no avail. However, Heihachi discovered a photograph during his investigation that stirred his curiosity. The 20-year-old photograph was an image of a burnt corpse covered with laceration wounds.
Heihachi paid particular attention to the corpse’s back, which had what looked like deformed, protruding wing-like limbs.

Convinced that the picture was of Kazuya, his own son whom he threw into a volcano 20 years ago, Heihachi diverted all his resources into a search for the body. This search eventually led Heihachi to G Corporation, a leading-edge biotech firm making unprecedented advances in the field of biogenetics research.

Heihachi discovered that G Corporation found the corpse and extracted and analyzed its genetic data. In fact, Heihachi learned that the company was in the midst of creating a new life form by using the data. Heihachi also determined that Kazuya’s remains and research data were secured at G Corporation’s Nebraska and Nepal research laboratories, respectively.

Friday, 25 December. The Tekken Force raided G Corporation’s maximum security research laboratory in Nepal. The bottom floors of the building were obliterated, and the remaining data storage facility containing file servers was airlifted by a group of heavy-duty helicopters.

At the same time, a separate unit led by Heihachi infiltrated the underground research facility in Nebraska, where Kazuya’s remains were preserved. As Heihachi observed from his helicopter, he soon realized that unlike the Nepal facility, the operations in Nebraska were not going according to plan. The tactical status monitor screens showed the first wave of the Tekken Force troops being blown out from the storage room where Kazuya’s remains were supposedly kept.

A silhouette of a large figure slowly emerged from the room... When Heihachi could see clearly enough, he instantly recognized the large figure as Kazuya.

Kazuya was resurrected in G Corporation’s research facility. After his resurrection, Kazuya offered his body as research material to determine the true nature of the Devil that resided within him. Kazuya’s goal was to unify his two selves into one. Kazuya theorized that if he unified his body with the Devil, he would be able to truly harness its powers. He could then finally take revenge against Heihachi and the Mishima Zaibatsu (Financial Empire).

Enraged that Heihachi thwarted his plans, Kazuya obliterated the heavily armed Tekken Force and vanished into the flames of the lab’s wreckage.

Heihachi was infuriated by Kazuya’s escape and took out his anger on his hapless subordinates who reported the

Abel, Heihachi’s escape.lead scientific advisor, urged the enraged Heihachi to quickly find a way to capture Kazuya. Once his anger subsided, Heihachi focused his mind and decided on a plan. An evil smile crept upon his lips.

Two years had passed since The King of Iron Fist Tournament 3.

The Mishima Zaibatsu announced The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4 and placed the massive financial empire as the top prize.

The champion who manages to defeat Heihachi at the end of the Tournament would inherit the Mishima Zaibatsu.

Well aware that the tournament is just a trap designed to lure him out, Kazuya nevertheless enters - it is his chance to defeat Heihachi.

As for the characters, 10 have been confirmed so far: Paul Phoenix, Ling Xiaoyu, Christie Monteiro, Craig Marduk, Yoshimitsu, Steve Fox, Hwoarang, Kazuya Mishima, King and Marshall Law. There have been quite a few changes but I'll let you decide whether they are for better or for worse.

For button presses I used the usual "move language" for Tekken moves:

1 is square
2 is triangle
3 is x
4 is circle
f is forwards
b is backwards
u is up
d is down
d/f is between down and forwards etc.
+ means "at the same time as"
, means followed by
~ means immediately followed by

Paul has nothing much new, so far his falling leaf (or "bone breaker" as many of us know it) (d+4,2) doesn't have to be hit as deep to trip as in Tekken Tag Tournament and he has a new costume with his hair down.

Yoshimitsu still holds his sword in his left hand despite reports, a new suit with useless wings and his sword reversal (b+1+4) is blockable but Yoshimitsu may learn moves reversed by the sword reversal according to a Japanese playstation magazine.

Hwoarang has some of Baek's moves and can now shift flamingo stances without kicking.

Kazuya's wind godfist (f,n,d,d/f+2) now hits high and knocks away on counterhit like Jin, the same probably goes for his electric wind godfist (f~n~d~d/f+2), demon slayer's (1,1,2) and twin pistons' (while getting up from a crouch 1,2) final hit is not guaranteed even if the other hits hit and the latter does not juggle if opponent is crouching.

King has acquired some of Armour King's moves: parting chop (b+1), elbow knife (while getting up from a crouch 1), shadow lariat (f,n,d,d/f+1), black knee rising (f,n,d,d/f+4) and a type of palm strike (f,f+1); King has also been reported to get back his Tekken 2 suit outfit.

As for Law, he has lost his universal low parry (d/f).

There is not much info on the newbies but here goes.

Christie is apparently the daughter of the Capoeira master that taught Eddy, good news for Eddy fans.
Craig was released early from a 10-year manslaughter sentence when an anonymous benefactor paid off some officials. He soon received an invitation to the tournament. He is rumoured to be a pro wrestler but don't take my word for it.

Steve is a young British boxer who is on the run from the mafia. We know a little about Steve's moves: he has 5 sway/dodge boxer style stances or dodges done by pressing (3) (4) (3+4) (b+3+4) or (f+3+4), he also has a (1,2,1,2) rushing combo that juggles.

Sure you've read the info, the story line and character changes but you ain't seen nothin' 'till you seen the game itself and if I had to describe it visually in one word, it would be gorgeous. What was that? You want to see it? I thought you'd never ask.

Lets start off with something simple. You can pick up the Tekken 4 logo, some character mug shots and some pretty impressive screenshots at www.highwaygames.com/body.php3? action=mach_view&pg=0&machine_id=2214 .

It shows that Tekken 4 has walls!! The walls apparently are good for cornering you foe and knocking him/her with a vicious combo or juggle as s/he bounces between the wall and your fist. Good stuff… for starters.

If you want something of more quality, there are some great hi-res pics at www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/news /2001_06/28-1.shtml and a Tekken 4 poster, data sheet and intro screenshots at www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/ news/2001_06/20-4.shtml .

Not everybody likes looking at still pics and some would prefer something that tells you more about the game and I have the thing just for those with time on their hands (about 25 minutes). There are 4 video clips: Steve vs. Kazuya, Steve vs. King, Xiaoyu vs. Paul and Yoshimitsu vs. Xiaoyu at http://ps2.ign.com/news /36063.html check it out.

Duum, dum, dum, duum, dum, duuuum. It's the big one. If you want a movie that includes the intro, the embu and matches that includes every player that has been confirmed so far. It's a hefty 88.1 Megs so unless you have an awesome LAN connection or a "day" to spare I recommend you pick up this beauty at an Internet café. To get your hands on it take yourself over to www.gameplayers.com.hk/videogames /arcade2001/main_news.html and click on the Japanese link under the date "25/6/2001". Now click on the link called "<> Video Segment" to start the streaming media download.

Tekken 4 will be released in arcades or on PS2's (I'm not sure) around Japan starting from late July so it's still quite a bit far off for us.

Now that you have completed the path to total Tekken enlightenment: Will you be buying Tekken 4? Has this affected your decision on whether you will buy it? What are your opinions on the changes or/and new features (including the big news that Tekken 4 has walls)? Do you have something to say about previous Tekken games related or unrelated to Tekken 4? Do you know anything I missed? Do you have any questions about Tekken games (except Tekken 1)(I'll try to get a reply on any questions)? Anything at all.

I'll stick around for a while and let you say whatever you want really. Watch out for updates on the low-down on Tekken 4 some time in the future.

Signing off for now,

Heihachi.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.