GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Package-for me?!?!?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/07/01 at 08:57
Regular
On Wednesday, I came home to find a package in the lounge. The package looked like a package I'd received before. My heart filled with joy-I knew what the package was.

It was a brown package.

So I brought it upstairs into my room, and marvelled at it's lovely, brown colour, and it's soft, smooth texture. After hours of endless fun, I was going to put it safely away in the drawer when I suddenly realised there was something INSIDE the package!

My eyes widened, and I put my left hand into the package. I also found out that the inside of the package felt even nicer than the outside!!
A few minutes later, I pulled something out of the package.

It was of a rectangular shape, and was mostly red. It also had a picture of a fist holding a sort of axe/hammer (can't remember what it's called.)

Puzzled, I looked at the back. In even bigger white letters it said, "JOIN THE REVOLUTION."

Suddenly, I knew. I knew what it was. I mean, c'mon, it's obvious! If you put the hammer/axe thing and the "JOIN THE REVOLUTION" bit together, then you get...

A PETITION TO SIGN FOR THE BANNING OF HAMMER/AXE THINGS, IN WHICH A REVOLUTION OF NEW HAMMER/AXE THINGS WILL BE MADE!!!

But wait...on the top it said, "PlayStation 2." I have a PlayStation 2. I opened it up, and there was some sort of CD inside.

I popped it into my PS2, and waited with baited breath for what was to come.
A few seconds later, a screen came up, with "RED FACTION" in the middle of it, and options to the side such as, "NEW GAME," "MULTIPLAYER," "OPTIONS," etc.

My apparently primitive mind overcame the concept of an 'interactive petition,' and finally realised that it was a video game, called Red Faction, which I had won on Gameaday on Special Reserve.

I clicked on new player, and a whole new realm of gaming begun.

Well, actually, the whole new realm begun later in a huge deathmatch against bots, as I got stuck on the first level of single player mode.

But nothing can match up to the experience of getting to the top of a 'fort,' finding a Fusion Rocket Launcher with a Kill Range of 10 metres, looking down onto all the little bots running around on the ground, and killing ALL of them with this massive weapon!!

Yesterday myself, Darkness_2K, my brother and my cousins spent the whole afternoon playing multiplayer Red Faction. It was one of the best gaming experiences ever, and that's all thanks to the great guys at THQ and Volition.

Right, I'm off to destroy The Lobby with a Rocket Launcher also known as the 'Big Earl.'

Thanks for reading, Ant.
Tue 03/07/01 at 11:17
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Ahh good old gameaday, my first win and I picked red faction and it has just arrived. Im going to go now and play it, i'll let you know what I think of it,but it does sounds good.
Mon 02/07/01 at 22:07
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Sounds good, looks good, plays good (supposedly - never played you see?). Except, when reading a review of it it's supposed to get extremely annoying, the bots are really thick and yopu have save at every possibility!

However, that's someone else's opinion. I'll have to rent it out. Ant? Worth it?
Mon 02/07/01 at 21:05
Regular
"I like cheese"
Bewarethetoadsoffate wrote:
> There is something I need to know about Red Faction:Are the controls
> fulls customisable. I ask this because after buying the demo of a
> game I have been looking forward to I was dismayed at the movement
> controls. It is probably just me, but I found the 2 choices
> impossible(I have gotten completely used to my highly customised
> Timesplitters controls and find it hard to adapt to such new ones.
> Please answer!

Yep, I found the controls impossible, so I've completely changed them around.

I have having to use both analog sticks all the time!! So I now use one mostly, and the other occasionally.
Mon 02/07/01 at 21:00
Pagey, one of the first things to learn when using a forum is not to go around actively looking for and starting fights. It's obvious you aren't a console expert and I would greatly appreciate it if you would just go away.
Mon 02/07/01 at 20:56
There is something I need to know about Red Faction:Are the controls fulls customisable. I ask this because after buying the demo of a game I have been looking forward to I was dismayed at the movement controls. It is probably just me, but I found the 2 choices impossible(I have gotten completely used to my highly customised Timesplitters controls and find it hard to adapt to such new ones. Please answer!
Mon 02/07/01 at 20:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Pagey, I doubt you are a console expert, you are just lieing and repeating technical phrases you heard somewhere because you have been backed into a corner.
Mon 02/07/01 at 20:40
Glad you enjoy it ant. I have to wait till saturday to play it.
Mon 02/07/01 at 20:39
Regular
"I like cheese"
I've got a lot further with RF today, and only one word describes it: AWESOME.

The plot thickens, action gets better, there's more puzzles and the graphics on the environment (walls etc) are sooooo good in one part, it's unbelievable!!

The only way I can see the PC version as better is online play-if it has that option.

Also, on PC you probably won't have normal multiplayer, which is one of the best parts of RF!!
Mon 02/07/01 at 20:36
Regular
"I like cheese"
Pagey wrote:
> turbonutter wrote:

"smoother
> sharper graphics"
> I doubt it. You know nothing about the
> PlayStation 2. Please
> p**s off back to the planet you came
> from.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!!!!!!! What a load of bo**ocks! Of
> course the PC version will have smoother, sharper graphics! There is
> no doubt about it. I know EVERYTHING about EVERY console being a
> hardcore console expert. I know about their architecture and how
> they work. A PC with a GeForce 2 or 3 will be able to run Red
> Faction at 60fps at around 1024X768 or higher which is almost double
> the resolution of the PS2 version and the PS2 version has slowdown
> too whereas a fully integrated gaming PC would do it with no
> slowdown whatsoever.

Oh, and I come from earth. You obviously
> come from the Planet Of PS2 Lickers.

And I suppose a 'hardcore' gamer like yourself would know all this, eh??

Console expert my @rse.
Mon 02/07/01 at 19:19
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
turbonutter wrote:

"smoother
> sharper graphics" I doubt it. You know nothing about the
> PlayStation 2. Please p**s off back to the planet you came from.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!!!!!!! What a load of bo**ocks! Of course the PC version will have smoother, sharper graphics! There is no doubt about it. I know EVERYTHING about EVERY console being a hardcore console expert. I know about their architecture and how they work. A PC with a GeForce 2 or 3 will be able to run Red Faction at 60fps at around 1024X768 or higher which is almost double the resolution of the PS2 version and the PS2 version has slowdown too whereas a fully integrated gaming PC would do it with no slowdown whatsoever.

Oh, and I come from earth. You obviously come from the Planet Of PS2 Lickers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.