GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming: GBA – Graphics or Gameplay?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/06/01 at 22:16
Regular
Ok. So everyone knows now that the GBA is out, and how good it is, so I’m not going to go too much into all of that.

The GBA is roughly capable to produce graphics that range in between the SNES and the N64’s. The GBA, like any console, can also offer games with good gameplay. The GBA is also a handheld, and therefore the image cannot be projected onto a bigger sized TV, like a console can.

So what should developers of GBA games be concentration on? Graphics, or Gameplay.

Graphics play an important part in videogames. Without good graphics the game would be an eyesore – it would be ugly, you would have to look hard to see hwtas actually going on, and would not be even worth looking at in the first place. However without good gameplay, the game can be boring – pointless, have a rubbish plot and story line, and would not be even worth turning on.

The Gameboy, because of the lack to produce decent graphics, chose gameplay. Thus spending longer designing the actual gaming ideas than the graphics. Pokemon, a massive example shows this off. The graphics aren’t spectacular, but then you wouldn’t expect them to be. But the gameplay, coorrr, it blows you away – so much to see and do, you will spend so long catching them all.

The N64, on the other hand, relied mainly on it’s graphics, and in places, lacked the gameplay which would of improved it further, although saying that it did come up with some pretty good titles – Zelda for one. Being able to produce a huge 160,000 polygons per second, made it the most powerful games console in 98, ahead of the PSX.
Here the example could be Pokemon Stadium or Mortal Combat 4. Delivering superb graphics, neither PS or MC4 were up to much, and both could be completed and finished easily within 2 hours. (Note that Pokemon Stadium is nowhere near anything like Pokemon GB Blue/Red, there by explaining the difference in gameplay).

So what should the GBA concentrate on? Being a handheld, the graphics aren’t going to shine to their full potential just yet, and because it’s brand new, games will lack time, effort and much needed gameplay. Both of these should well improve within time, of course.

I personally think it should work towards gameplay. If you want decent graphics, look towards a big console like the PS2, they can handle the power. Handhelds should be made for their gameplay, the graphics being a bonus, and consoles should shine for their graphics, with gameplay being their bonus. But sometimes, if you’re lucky, you get both.

What do you think – Graphics or Gameplay?

Thanks for reading,
Namostar.
Sat 30/06/01 at 22:16
Ok. So everyone knows now that the GBA is out, and how good it is, so I’m not going to go too much into all of that.

The GBA is roughly capable to produce graphics that range in between the SNES and the N64’s. The GBA, like any console, can also offer games with good gameplay. The GBA is also a handheld, and therefore the image cannot be projected onto a bigger sized TV, like a console can.

So what should developers of GBA games be concentration on? Graphics, or Gameplay.

Graphics play an important part in videogames. Without good graphics the game would be an eyesore – it would be ugly, you would have to look hard to see hwtas actually going on, and would not be even worth looking at in the first place. However without good gameplay, the game can be boring – pointless, have a rubbish plot and story line, and would not be even worth turning on.

The Gameboy, because of the lack to produce decent graphics, chose gameplay. Thus spending longer designing the actual gaming ideas than the graphics. Pokemon, a massive example shows this off. The graphics aren’t spectacular, but then you wouldn’t expect them to be. But the gameplay, coorrr, it blows you away – so much to see and do, you will spend so long catching them all.

The N64, on the other hand, relied mainly on it’s graphics, and in places, lacked the gameplay which would of improved it further, although saying that it did come up with some pretty good titles – Zelda for one. Being able to produce a huge 160,000 polygons per second, made it the most powerful games console in 98, ahead of the PSX.
Here the example could be Pokemon Stadium or Mortal Combat 4. Delivering superb graphics, neither PS or MC4 were up to much, and both could be completed and finished easily within 2 hours. (Note that Pokemon Stadium is nowhere near anything like Pokemon GB Blue/Red, there by explaining the difference in gameplay).

So what should the GBA concentrate on? Being a handheld, the graphics aren’t going to shine to their full potential just yet, and because it’s brand new, games will lack time, effort and much needed gameplay. Both of these should well improve within time, of course.

I personally think it should work towards gameplay. If you want decent graphics, look towards a big console like the PS2, they can handle the power. Handhelds should be made for their gameplay, the graphics being a bonus, and consoles should shine for their graphics, with gameplay being their bonus. But sometimes, if you’re lucky, you get both.

What do you think – Graphics or Gameplay?

Thanks for reading,
Namostar.
Sat 30/06/01 at 22:18
Oh, and sorry I posted two topics in the prime on the same day, but the second one sprang into my mind right after the first, so to avoid it disappearing into the abyss (i.e. I forget it) I thought it shoudn't be too much trouble to post it now.
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Graphics and Gameplay are like Hydrogen and Oxygen. A game can't live without them, like we can't live without the two mixed together...

Forget that terrible analogy! And look at it like this. Grahics and gameplay are on a par with each other.

Have you ever played a faulty emulated game? I had one of Kuru Kuru Kururin and the stick didn't meet the ball... it was terrible.... the graphics were spoiled and the gameplay was tarnished. It ruined the game.

But, when I played a proper version in a competitors shop during my weekly vandalism of their store, I enjoyed it much more.

It isn't graphics VS gameplay... it is the combination of the two to provide good entertainment.

But as far as the GBA goes, there is a much bigger focus on gameplay. Because, in comparison to modern 'console' games, the graphics are way below standard!

Game
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:07
The good thing about the GBA is it has its limitations.

In the days of the SNES and Megadrive, the games were fun to play, and had good graphics (at least they were then), but the games were not too realistic. So the developers then were not concentrating on the graphics and the realism as much as the fun and the gameplay. That is what made the games so much fun to play.

It is similar with the GBA. Although the graphics are good for the handheld console, the limitations, mean there is much more emphasis on the gameplay and the games being fun, then there are on the graphics and the realism.
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:12
Regular
still a few annoying things about the GBAs gameplay. Like the flippin annoying paasword style saving for GT. write one of the characters wrong and u have lost your game!
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:15
Or†ega wrote:
> still a few annoying things about the GBAs gameplay. Like the
> flippin annoying paasword style saving for GT. write one of the
> characters wrong and u have lost your game!

This can't really be avoided. The GBA doesn't have a memory card port (otherwise it would be too big), so developers must rely on a password system, or actually being able to save on the cartridge, much like on the SNES and Megadrive.
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:18
Regular
But with the technology these days it should have been able to save on the cart. These GBA carts hold twice the amount of normal GB carts. Yet they are sooo tiny. When i opened my first game for the GBA i couldnt believe how small the cart was. initially i thought that there was no game in my box becasue i couldt see it!
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:22
Ortega, I'd expect that, eventually, you will be able to save on carts.

Nowadays, better things seem to be coming in smaller packages.
Sat 30/06/01 at 23:28
Regular
you can save on carts! Tony hawks pro skater2 has a save facility. So why dont GT?
Sun 01/07/01 at 01:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
My GTAdvance has a save facility.. simply because its an american import!

That is sooo rude to the UK!

BYE FOR A WEEK!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.