GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Handhelds!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/06/01 at 14:04
Regular
I suppose it all started in the 70’s, during the time of the hippies, peace and the first handheld toy… The Rubex Cube. Yep, that little multicoloured cube was the start of it all that led to the GBA. No one would of thought it but it’s true. The Rubex was a massive hit and puzzled kids and grown-ups all around the country teasing their brains till they were ready to blow.

But then after ten years, technology improved. Many of you might not of remembered this. I know I didn’t until my older cousin told me about all the old consoles and even showed me them! There was once a little rectangle with very ugly colours. Like one of them tiny handheld consoles, the really cheap ones with only one game built in. Yes, it was the Game & Watch, I never had a chance to play on one of these or see them in play. It was the start of Mario and Donkey Kong, even though these were already in the arcade.

Then we had another ten-year break, well a 9-year break, and Nintendo had done again. The first cartridge-based handheld and sparked a handheld phenomenon. The famous Tetris, that sparked a world addiction. Like the Rubex cube people couldn’t get enough. Then the Famous little brothers Mario and Luigi appeared on the game Super Mario Brothers. Then the link cable came out and Nintendo had marked them on the map!

With the GB being very successful and bringing tons of money to the company Nintendo companies such as Lynx, Nec and Sega brought out a handheld console, proving to be nothing like the GB.
Lynx were determined in 1990 to make a comeback from Atari’s quiet period. Brining out the Lynx. It impressed the world showing good graphics but with not a lot of games on the line-up and being priced at £180 it wasn’t a hit.
Then there was the handheld 8-bit PC engine in 1990 made by NEC called NEC Turbo Express. It was never released in the UK and thank God for that as it would of done terrible, if the Lynx was to expensive at £180 the £250 NEC would have been a failure. Then Sega bought out there version of a handheld. I had one of these consoles it was the Game Gear. It was not a great success even though loads of Potential was there with such games as outrigger and Space Harrier. But not enough was bought to be as successful as the GB. With not a lot of sales, the GG was canned, poor old Sega.

Then we had another big break. Eight years in fact, but boy was it worth. Nintendo had done it again in 1998. It was something that every handheld fan had dreamt of, a handheld console, in Colour. The new kid on the block, the Game Boy Colour. With games such as Super Mario DX, Zelda DX and Rayman it was a great success. But then, a little yellow mouse entered the gaming world, his name was, Pikachu. And his crew was Pokemon. It took the world by storm, with everyone with GBC owning one. I owned Blue and Red, and always played on them. Who ever thought a children’s TV program like Pokemon could be such a big hit in the gaming world!
Then there was another import, the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, in 1998. It was an ideal travelling companion it was 16-bit. But never actually made it. Like the Lynx it didn’t have a lot of games, so it never took off.

It only came out recently, and took the world by storm. It’s the Game Boy Advance. The 36-bit console is going to take the world by storm ands going to be massive. With brilliant games such as Tony Hawks, Rayman and Calstlevania. It’s a great success in Japan and hopefully will be over here.
With up to 20 hours of battery life the GBA is the best thing to happen to handheld gaming, I recommend you get one. As you will miss out.

So there we have it, the history of handhelds. Nintendo are obviously kings of handhelds with the 3 best. Lets see if we get one from Sony!
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:04
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I suppose it all started in the 70’s, during the time of the hippies, peace and the first handheld toy… The Rubex Cube. Yep, that little multicoloured cube was the start of it all that led to the GBA. No one would of thought it but it’s true. The Rubex was a massive hit and puzzled kids and grown-ups all around the country teasing their brains till they were ready to blow.

But then after ten years, technology improved. Many of you might not of remembered this. I know I didn’t until my older cousin told me about all the old consoles and even showed me them! There was once a little rectangle with very ugly colours. Like one of them tiny handheld consoles, the really cheap ones with only one game built in. Yes, it was the Game & Watch, I never had a chance to play on one of these or see them in play. It was the start of Mario and Donkey Kong, even though these were already in the arcade.

Then we had another ten-year break, well a 9-year break, and Nintendo had done again. The first cartridge-based handheld and sparked a handheld phenomenon. The famous Tetris, that sparked a world addiction. Like the Rubex cube people couldn’t get enough. Then the Famous little brothers Mario and Luigi appeared on the game Super Mario Brothers. Then the link cable came out and Nintendo had marked them on the map!

With the GB being very successful and bringing tons of money to the company Nintendo companies such as Lynx, Nec and Sega brought out a handheld console, proving to be nothing like the GB.
Lynx were determined in 1990 to make a comeback from Atari’s quiet period. Brining out the Lynx. It impressed the world showing good graphics but with not a lot of games on the line-up and being priced at £180 it wasn’t a hit.
Then there was the handheld 8-bit PC engine in 1990 made by NEC called NEC Turbo Express. It was never released in the UK and thank God for that as it would of done terrible, if the Lynx was to expensive at £180 the £250 NEC would have been a failure. Then Sega bought out there version of a handheld. I had one of these consoles it was the Game Gear. It was not a great success even though loads of Potential was there with such games as outrigger and Space Harrier. But not enough was bought to be as successful as the GB. With not a lot of sales, the GG was canned, poor old Sega.

Then we had another big break. Eight years in fact, but boy was it worth. Nintendo had done it again in 1998. It was something that every handheld fan had dreamt of, a handheld console, in Colour. The new kid on the block, the Game Boy Colour. With games such as Super Mario DX, Zelda DX and Rayman it was a great success. But then, a little yellow mouse entered the gaming world, his name was, Pikachu. And his crew was Pokemon. It took the world by storm, with everyone with GBC owning one. I owned Blue and Red, and always played on them. Who ever thought a children’s TV program like Pokemon could be such a big hit in the gaming world!
Then there was another import, the Neo Geo Pocket Colour, in 1998. It was an ideal travelling companion it was 16-bit. But never actually made it. Like the Lynx it didn’t have a lot of games, so it never took off.

It only came out recently, and took the world by storm. It’s the Game Boy Advance. The 36-bit console is going to take the world by storm ands going to be massive. With brilliant games such as Tony Hawks, Rayman and Calstlevania. It’s a great success in Japan and hopefully will be over here.
With up to 20 hours of battery life the GBA is the best thing to happen to handheld gaming, I recommend you get one. As you will miss out.

So there we have it, the history of handhelds. Nintendo are obviously kings of handhelds with the 3 best. Lets see if we get one from Sony!
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:05
Not another topic from some site... deary me... When will these rush of topics end?...
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:06
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Go ask Dan2k1 if you don't belive me, he told me to write this and I didn' get it off no-where!
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
Very good topic Spider, well written.

And TW, Spider told me he was typing it on MSN-so don't accuse him with no proof.

Anyway, nice one Spider.
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:12
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Thanks Ant, at least some people round here have some respect!
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:33
Regular
Nice topic
gameaday
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:36
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Thanks Him
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:38
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
Hey sam, Why put this down. Its great. You have had good topics and a GAD so why not be a bit nicer. Nice one jason by the way.
Sat 30/06/01 at 14:51
Regular
Nicely done Spider.

Just one thing, the GBA is 32bit not 36, but aprat from that, well done!
Sat 30/06/01 at 15:42
Regular
very good but i still dont like the GBA

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.