GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More than a game?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/06/01 at 20:16
Regular
Ahhhh not posted a topic in the prime for a long time...

Well we all know games are for fun and enjoyment well that’s the general idea of them anyway. I am sure however many other people get kicks out of shooting people or being a dictator or whatever tickles there fancy. Myself I like to crash cars and ru(i)n peoples life’s. (I do try to do good though :D)

Well so as I have mentioned above the general concept of gaming is to have fun am I right? Yeah course I am.

Well it struck me today while I was playing 'Tropico' (A game where you are dictator for those who are unsure of the game). On rare gaming experience the game can have more effects on you than just entertaining you. For instance when playing the game I had all these weird thoughts going into my head, doubting my views on political issues, as I was ENJOYING BEING A DICTATOR.

Even though I am against fascists and such I loved the fact that I was in charge of people’s life and I set their wages, I could buy the election results etc. Not knowing that I was contradicting myself. So I was in my 20th year when I had to help increase peoples liberty or something (not too sure it was that).

“ The choice was to burn books “

Then it hit me that although its just a game and I was enjoying it like I am supposed to, I was acting like a Nazi. Game or no game. So as I do, I had a conversation with my conscience and my brain (like Grix I guess, don’t talk though). Once again I decided to play the game and still enjoy it, although I would make the right moral decisions even if it would harm my final score.

So there you go… I resisted the temptation of a high score and less enjoyment to stick to my strong views and have a healthy conscience.

A fine example of how games can be more than just a game. Another time I have had this kind of experience was playing Sudden Strike (WWII game) that time I came to the conclusion that it was only a game :D

Any experiences like this yourself, do tell!
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
SHEEPY wrote:
> Any opinons on my post?

Thought not :D

Your too young
> Time_warp ;)

Well if he's too young then so am I... he's older than me :-D
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:33
thanks RBS. I csn now RIP.
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:32
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Any opinons on my post?

Thought not :D

Your too young Time_warp ;)
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:31
Regular
"You've upset me"
The Worlds Longest Thread, Delta.
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:27
Everyone, I know this sounds dumb (mainly because I am dumb), but what does WLT stand for?
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
Err... what's wrong with Sniper?
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:25
Can I have some too?
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Oh yeah Sheepy I forgot to say that was a QUALITY post and your the best poster ever and I suck at everything.

:D
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:24
Regular
"You've upset me"
Lol
Fri 29/06/01 at 20:22
Regular
"Excommunicated"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Err... Craig.... What have you been smoking? And : Can I have
> some?

:-D

My mate could sort you out on some! ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.