GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sports"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/06/01 at 00:14
Regular
It seems that nearly every sport in America has a game associated with it. With the likes of basketball,ice hockey,american football, football (soccer to the yanks, why?), racing. But there are very few developers that make these type of games, fifa and Iss are the only decent footy games around and EA make most of the other decent sports titles.

So why don't other developers make these type of games, is it too hard to make them, or do EA make the best so there is no point challenging them?

I would have thought these types of games would be popular as the sports themselves are very popular so surely other developers should give it a try and attemp to make a good sports title.
Fri 29/06/01 at 00:14
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It seems that nearly every sport in America has a game associated with it. With the likes of basketball,ice hockey,american football, football (soccer to the yanks, why?), racing. But there are very few developers that make these type of games, fifa and Iss are the only decent footy games around and EA make most of the other decent sports titles.

So why don't other developers make these type of games, is it too hard to make them, or do EA make the best so there is no point challenging them?

I would have thought these types of games would be popular as the sports themselves are very popular so surely other developers should give it a try and attemp to make a good sports title.
Fri 29/06/01 at 12:32
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I can only imagine that companies shy away from the perceived ‘Hard to break in past EA’ football game because it is difficult to produce a game that will satisfy an international market in order to make it profitable. A game based on Serie A won’t be a particularly big seller in Sweden, whereas a game that features nothing but International play will.

EA are sorted with the American sports, as they already have the large consumer base that will buy the Madden titles etc., every other sale outside of the US is nothing but a bonus. The point is that any developer wanting to produce a football game must deal with the WHOLE of Europe, rather than one country.

What annoys me more about this situation is that EA seem perfectly capable of churning out high quality, realistic sports games for the American’s favourite pastimes, but when it comes to the beautiful game they seem to make a complete hash of it.

Now before anybody yells at me I haven’t played FIFA 2001 on the PS2 yet, so maybe I’ll rent it and be pleasantly surprised with the game play and content. I've been sceptical of the FIFA series for a while now, but I’ll reserve judgement on this specific incarnation until I've actually played it.

Just take a look at the depth of options and attention to detail the likes of the EA NHL and Madden series fans are treated to. Outstanding graphics and sound etc. aside, the games are 95% accurate representations of the sports they have set out to emulate. Varied game styles, methods of attack and defence all can be replicated within these EA titles, not to mention the enormous amount of statistical information that is generated, okay that goes hand in hand with US sports – but it adds credibility to the game experience.

So what do you get from a FIFA title? I suppose we’re fortunate enough this time round to actually get national sides and some sort of league play. But if the game play is anything like the other FIFA variants then it’s a case of ; ‘Find a way to score, that’s more or less the only way you ever will.’

Oh and do this more times than your opponent does as well, whether it will be bombing through the middle and blasting it in from the correct angle, or frantically hammering the speed burst button to get you winger down the sideline to put in a cross that is more often than not cut out by the Goalkeeper, or rockets in from an overhead kick.

Is that what happens in MLS? Looking at the quality of players within said US joke league I sincerely doubt it.

Look, it’s this simple. All I want is a footie game where I can pick a team from the league of my choice, then play realistic football matches against the other teams in that league, with the cup competitions, continuous season to season play and a decent transfer market system and I’ll be happy. Throw in some more bits for realism, International call ups for example and I’ll be over the moon.

Surely that married with the capabilities of the PS2 will produce a game that every football loving console owner will want to, nay must own. I’ve read the reviews for FIFA 2001 and some of these options are included, so maybe I can feel a little less aggrieved about this sore point once I’ve played it.

If anybody can tell me based on the above whether I’m wasting my time even renting the game, then I’d appreciate it.

Cheers.
Fri 29/06/01 at 18:46
Regular
"Whatever!"
EA Sports are to release Cricket 2002 - Anyone interested??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.