GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Steel (Wii)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Red Steel'.
Wed 27/12/06 at 23:17
Regular
"Captain to you."
There is nothing I love more than a First Person Shooter, but normally I am not one for a FPS on a console, bar something special like Goldeneye to get me excited about using a control pad to move around quickly and accurately in a 3d world. When it comes to FPS games I am very much a PC gamer, for me nothing beats a mouse and keyboard.

All that being said I decided that Red Steel should be given a fair try considering that the control system is fairly different from the traditional static control pad. I’m bringing up the control method first over graphics and content purely because I think it is probably the most important part when discussing a Wii game.

The Nunchuck analogue stick is used for movement and the rest of the Nunchuck is used for tasks such as turning over tables, opening doors and even throwing of grenades, the Nunchuck takes a major role in the game being the main source of interaction with the environment.

The WiiMote on the other hand (quite literally) is used for looking around, firing and switching of weapons.

When moving the WiiMote the cursor moves freely on the screen, this won’t instantly start to turn the viewpoint until the cursor is about half way from the centre to the edge, this I think is where people start to have troubles with the controls, they try to move the cursor to the edge of the screen and so end up turning too fast or losing aim on their target.

I have read a lot of reviews that damned the control system but for me it is probably the best I have ever played on a console, it gives you fast turning with accuracy something that other games lack. I think most people that play this and that have the problem with the control system come from a console background and so they aren’t used to the freedom and speed of control that is available. Everyone I know that comes from a PC gaming background got used to this control method very quickly and enjoyed the experience.

The graphics on Red Steel are good for one of the release titles, but I feel that far better looking titles will be released sometime later next year, the textures and models in Red Steel are pretty high and make for some very pretty scenes. There is a strong use of volumetric lighting to give some scenes something a little extra, especially when in the middle of a fire fight and you hit a window and the glass smashes causing a ray of light to shine in to the room.

One major playing feature is the health of your player, once you get hurt there are no health pick ups to replenish your lost health you simply have to avoid being hit for a short amount of time and your health will replenish itself. This means that cover is a major part of the game for some of the longer fights, some of which you can create yourself by moving up to a table and using the Nunchuck to turn it on it’s side giving you something to crouch behind for a limited time as often all cover is distructable.

Unfortunately the big let down in the game is the level design, there are a lot of areas that you just feel like you have been through before, they seem to have taken the Japanese décor to the extreme and although I know it is needed for the story it doesn’t do the game any favours, there are the rare scenes that look great that aren’t covered in polished wood with large stone statues like a beach that you walk across and factory, it’s just a shame that there isn’t more variation.

I think it’s important to mention the sword fighting area of the game, the adverts show it as a major part of the game but to be honest it’s there just to break up the gun fights, there isn’t a great deal of control over the swords and to be honest there isn’t much skill required to win each fight, they often are over in less than 2 minutes.

The multiplayer is where I think this game has its strengths once you finish the game; the single player is about 12-15 hours long, which I think is a pretty good length for an FPS game.

It is important that you play the game all the way through before trying multiplayer as it will unlock all the levels and weapons, the multiplayer levels are a decent size for 2-4 player with plenty of rooms and areas that give a good amount of cover. For some fun fire fights.

Red Steel seems to get very mixed opinions from people, I personally have enjoyed it a great deal but others might take longer to get used to the control method. If you get the chance to rent or borrow this game first then it might be the choice for you so that you can try the gameplay out before committing too much money to it.

Overall I think this should be one of the games that is purchased with your Wii, and I expect that every other FPS game including Metroid Prime will use a very similar system so you might be better getting used to it now.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 27/12/06 at 23:17
Regular
"Captain to you."
There is nothing I love more than a First Person Shooter, but normally I am not one for a FPS on a console, bar something special like Goldeneye to get me excited about using a control pad to move around quickly and accurately in a 3d world. When it comes to FPS games I am very much a PC gamer, for me nothing beats a mouse and keyboard.

All that being said I decided that Red Steel should be given a fair try considering that the control system is fairly different from the traditional static control pad. I’m bringing up the control method first over graphics and content purely because I think it is probably the most important part when discussing a Wii game.

The Nunchuck analogue stick is used for movement and the rest of the Nunchuck is used for tasks such as turning over tables, opening doors and even throwing of grenades, the Nunchuck takes a major role in the game being the main source of interaction with the environment.

The WiiMote on the other hand (quite literally) is used for looking around, firing and switching of weapons.

When moving the WiiMote the cursor moves freely on the screen, this won’t instantly start to turn the viewpoint until the cursor is about half way from the centre to the edge, this I think is where people start to have troubles with the controls, they try to move the cursor to the edge of the screen and so end up turning too fast or losing aim on their target.

I have read a lot of reviews that damned the control system but for me it is probably the best I have ever played on a console, it gives you fast turning with accuracy something that other games lack. I think most people that play this and that have the problem with the control system come from a console background and so they aren’t used to the freedom and speed of control that is available. Everyone I know that comes from a PC gaming background got used to this control method very quickly and enjoyed the experience.

The graphics on Red Steel are good for one of the release titles, but I feel that far better looking titles will be released sometime later next year, the textures and models in Red Steel are pretty high and make for some very pretty scenes. There is a strong use of volumetric lighting to give some scenes something a little extra, especially when in the middle of a fire fight and you hit a window and the glass smashes causing a ray of light to shine in to the room.

One major playing feature is the health of your player, once you get hurt there are no health pick ups to replenish your lost health you simply have to avoid being hit for a short amount of time and your health will replenish itself. This means that cover is a major part of the game for some of the longer fights, some of which you can create yourself by moving up to a table and using the Nunchuck to turn it on it’s side giving you something to crouch behind for a limited time as often all cover is distructable.

Unfortunately the big let down in the game is the level design, there are a lot of areas that you just feel like you have been through before, they seem to have taken the Japanese décor to the extreme and although I know it is needed for the story it doesn’t do the game any favours, there are the rare scenes that look great that aren’t covered in polished wood with large stone statues like a beach that you walk across and factory, it’s just a shame that there isn’t more variation.

I think it’s important to mention the sword fighting area of the game, the adverts show it as a major part of the game but to be honest it’s there just to break up the gun fights, there isn’t a great deal of control over the swords and to be honest there isn’t much skill required to win each fight, they often are over in less than 2 minutes.

The multiplayer is where I think this game has its strengths once you finish the game; the single player is about 12-15 hours long, which I think is a pretty good length for an FPS game.

It is important that you play the game all the way through before trying multiplayer as it will unlock all the levels and weapons, the multiplayer levels are a decent size for 2-4 player with plenty of rooms and areas that give a good amount of cover. For some fun fire fights.

Red Steel seems to get very mixed opinions from people, I personally have enjoyed it a great deal but others might take longer to get used to the control method. If you get the chance to rent or borrow this game first then it might be the choice for you so that you can try the gameplay out before committing too much money to it.

Overall I think this should be one of the games that is purchased with your Wii, and I expect that every other FPS game including Metroid Prime will use a very similar system so you might be better getting used to it now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.