GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Madden NFL 2001"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/06/01 at 10:27
Regular
This is terribly sad, and may well have been pointed out before, but I was excited by it, so who cares?

I've had the game for a while, but for the first time create myself as a 49ers player( sad, sad, sad). Started a season as a Wide Receiver. First Offensive play set set myself in a fly pattern (that's running straight down the line), started the play, bunged the ball in my likeness' general direction, and failed miserably to catch it. But, I could have sworn the commentator just said 'Horton, the intended receiver'. 'Pardon?', I thought, that's my surname....Nooooo, not possible, I must have misheard. Next play, same pattern ...'Horton with the reception!' The commentator was using MY name, on a computer game, on a created character. I thought it was cool that my name was on the back of the shirt.

Unfortunately didn't work with my mate's character, surname Cowell. Tee-hee. He's thinking of changing his name by deed-poll so he can hear his name too.

How does the game do this? And is it the first game to do thi? This is the first Madden title I've bought, have they all had this feature? And also, I really hope this happens with the next FIFA game.

Tell me the truth, I need to get out more, don't I...

Mark
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:27
This is terribly sad, and may well have been pointed out before, but I was excited by it, so who cares?

I've had the game for a while, but for the first time create myself as a 49ers player( sad, sad, sad). Started a season as a Wide Receiver. First Offensive play set set myself in a fly pattern (that's running straight down the line), started the play, bunged the ball in my likeness' general direction, and failed miserably to catch it. But, I could have sworn the commentator just said 'Horton, the intended receiver'. 'Pardon?', I thought, that's my surname....Nooooo, not possible, I must have misheard. Next play, same pattern ...'Horton with the reception!' The commentator was using MY name, on a computer game, on a created character. I thought it was cool that my name was on the back of the shirt.

Unfortunately didn't work with my mate's character, surname Cowell. Tee-hee. He's thinking of changing his name by deed-poll so he can hear his name too.

How does the game do this? And is it the first game to do thi? This is the first Madden title I've bought, have they all had this feature? And also, I really hope this happens with the next FIFA game.

Tell me the truth, I need to get out more, don't I...

Mark
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:30
Regular
If there is another player in the game with the same surname, then all it would have to do is link the commentary for that name to the commentary for your created player, but where do you find the time to play this game??? It is good but, long games, although madden challenge is an excellent idea if you have a mate with the game, stealing each other's cards, and decimating their defence and catching ability for a whole game!! Brilliant!!
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:45
I know this is a little off topic but, well I've kinda been deciding for months now whether to buy Madden but I keep reading about a few bad things about it. so can anyone tell me if ;

1. The computer A.I is rubbish. It constantly passes according to many reviews.

2. Is it fun to play if you're not a big sports fan ?

3. Is it easy to learn if you've no clue whatsoever about NFL rules ?

Thu 28/06/01 at 10:48
Regular
1) If you pick a passing play, then you are in control of the quarterback, and the computer is very dificult on harder difficulty settings.

2) Nope.

3) Nope.
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:52
Thanks, think thats the fastest reply I've had on here ! Think I'll wait foir it being reduced a bit.
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:53
I've got hooked on collecting all the damn Madden cards. I think I currently have 278/297, but at the moment I'm getting one new card every two/three games. I spend most of the time selling back doubles. It's like I'm back at school with my Panini Football '84 sticker album, only this time instead of having 24 Romeo Zondervans, it's now Tim Biakabutaka or Jumpy Geathers (quality names these Americans have got!).

As for time, I have a very understanding girlfriend, and sadly since I finished SSX, no other game has got me hooked in the way this one has. TTT, Dead or Alive, FIFA2001, Knockout Kings, Crazy Taxi, none of these has kept me coming back for more. All good games, but no real longevity.

Fingers crossed that I get all the cards before GT3 comes out!! Otherwise I'm going top get NO sleep!

Good shout on the player names thing. Hadn't spotted a Horton elsewhere in the game. It is just very cool hearing your name being used on a created character. From the first footy games you could put yourself into as a character, it was always the dream to hear the commentator shout 'That's a superb overhead kick by Horton!' or some such.

Marvellous...

Mark
Thu 28/06/01 at 10:59
Stranger In Paradise wrote:
> I know this is a little off topic but, well I've kinda been deciding
> for months now whether to buy Madden but I keep reading about a few
> bad things about it. so can anyone tell me if ;

1. The computer
> A.I is rubbish. It constantly passes according to many
> reviews.

I've been impressed with the opposition A.I. especially on the harder settings.

2. Is it fun to play if you're not a big sports fan
> ?

Not really, but then that's true of any sports game.

3. Is it easy to learn if you've no clue whatsoever about NFL
> rules ?

Makes it more difficult to get into, but playing on the easier settings, you'll soon pick it up. I had only a basic knowledge, and still am not sure about 'Pump faking' and 'I-formations' , but I'm hooked an the game. I can also quite happily follow a game on TV now, without getting lost.
I had no baseball knowledge before playing Triple Play 2000, but thoroughly enjoyed it, and same should apply with this game.

Thu 28/06/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
NHL 2001 features the name option as well, but as far as I can make out it takes your first name rather than your surname. I would have to assume that this has been done deliberately as most hockey players are either Canadian, Scandinavian or Eastern block in origin, most of us don’t have surnames like Kovelev, Bure, Roy (pronounced Whar) or Jagr!

I was pleased when I heard my name over the PA as well, I’ve often wondered why they hadn’t done this earlier, as long as your name matches one of the current NFL players you’re sorted.

Stranger in Paradise,

I certainly agree that the AI for the CPU is a bit suspect, but you can get it down to being somewhat realistic by tweaking about with the sliders etceteras.

I’m currently in my seventh season with the Cleveland Browns and after much playing around find these settings the best to use:

I play 8min quarters on All Madden, set all of the offensive and defensive sliders to minimum EXCEPT the run block and Running Back ability, which I set to 7. I’ve left the Special Teams sliders where they are (middle)

I find this gives the most realistic scores, passing and rushing yards and so on. The CPU will run the ball if it can run the ball. As stopping the run is far easier in the game than stopping the pass, the CPU does tend to default to throwing every down, especially when it’s behind. I’ve found that the best option is to make it easier for the CPU to run the ball.(hence the settings above)

Try renting the game from somewhere first and have a go, it’s not that hard to pick up the rules and it is a very good game. Alternatively, you could wait for Sega’s NFL2k2 or Madden 2002 which are up for a U.S. release around August (when the NFL season starts), if they are released in Europe the AI issue may have been addressed by then .

Sega’s NFL series wasn’t released in Europe, but the game play was supposedly a lot more realistic than Maddens is.

BTW Markh, a pump fake is when the Quarterback goes throw the motion of throwing the football but doesn’t actually release it. In reality this has the effect of freezing Defensive Backs to give your receiver more space. An I formation refers to the alignment of the set up of the Running Backs behind the Quarterback. If both the Fullback and Halfback are directly behind him, that’s an I formation.

Hope this helps.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.