GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another Doom 3 Thread"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Doom 3'.
Wed 21/07/04 at 00:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
So, Doom 3, out in in just over a month. Is it me or did the release just creep up on us all? though to be truthful I've perhaps been paying more attention to Half-Life 2 and STALKER than I have to Doom, the difference between those and doom 3 however is that I will be playing Doom next month whereas there are still no definite release dates for the other two.

I perhaps overlooked doom 3 too much though, I watched a recent video and I have to say, it looks amazing. The graphics, the levels design and the monsters, not to mention the return of the BFG 9000 and other familiarities from the original games. It looks scary too, and I like scary games (such as System Shock 2) but I'm surprised at just how scary this game looks, especially the later levels where the walls of the Martian science base seem to be covered in flesh.

And here are the system requirements, quite low too considering the graphics on show:
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1500
384 MB
2 GB Hard Drive Space
nVidia GeForce 3 or better or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better

It's already got good reviews in some US magazines (the US PCGamer gave it well over 90%) and they get it a whole 10 days before we do, so plenty of time to see if everyone else agrees with high praise.

Either way I'm excited, Doom 3 is one of the first, really big games of 2004, one of the few I've been waiting all year to play and now it's only weeks away. And if your still convinced yourself, [URL]http://www.doom3.com/[/URL] and check out those screenshots. Time to put those pre-orders in.
Thu 22/07/04 at 02:08
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Silent-Scope wrote:
> Graphics dont make games..

But they do, they let you interact with the game environments, they let you see worlds as envisioned by the developers and also allow for a wider, greater deal of imagination.

I'm sure some would like to adopt the "graphics don't make games" philosophy, but personally I think they'll be deluding themselves. Yes graphics look nice, but the go much deeper than mere aesthetics. Take Far Cry for example with a graphics engine that allows a greater deal of freedom, it gives you the chance to explore environments you wouldn't normally set foot on, you are in a full, living breathing world not some picture post card you use to show off your PCs graphics capabilities. It's a living place with the game wrapped around it to give it some purpose.

Doom 3 is no different, from what I've seen so far it looks amazing. The lighting, the animations, the textures, but these aren't mere eye candy, they are there to create a world for you to become part of, you could hardly have the same effect using the original quake engine could you?

It's amazing what you can see when you look a little deeper.
Thu 22/07/04 at 00:29
Regular
Graphics dont make games.. but we'll see I'm looking forward to Half life 2 more though.
Wed 21/07/04 at 11:36
Regular
"Touched!"
I can't wait to crank most of the settings up in this game, it looks stunning. I'm going to pre-order it this weekend and just sit and wait for it, I've got 2 weeks off soon so I'll use that time to finish the game hopefully!
Wed 21/07/04 at 00:15
Regular
"A man with a stick"
So, Doom 3, out in in just over a month. Is it me or did the release just creep up on us all? though to be truthful I've perhaps been paying more attention to Half-Life 2 and STALKER than I have to Doom, the difference between those and doom 3 however is that I will be playing Doom next month whereas there are still no definite release dates for the other two.

I perhaps overlooked doom 3 too much though, I watched a recent video and I have to say, it looks amazing. The graphics, the levels design and the monsters, not to mention the return of the BFG 9000 and other familiarities from the original games. It looks scary too, and I like scary games (such as System Shock 2) but I'm surprised at just how scary this game looks, especially the later levels where the walls of the Martian science base seem to be covered in flesh.

And here are the system requirements, quite low too considering the graphics on show:
Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or AMD Athlon 1500
384 MB
2 GB Hard Drive Space
nVidia GeForce 3 or better or an ATI Technologies 8500 or better

It's already got good reviews in some US magazines (the US PCGamer gave it well over 90%) and they get it a whole 10 days before we do, so plenty of time to see if everyone else agrees with high praise.

Either way I'm excited, Doom 3 is one of the first, really big games of 2004, one of the few I've been waiting all year to play and now it's only weeks away. And if your still convinced yourself, [URL]http://www.doom3.com/[/URL] and check out those screenshots. Time to put those pre-orders in.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.