GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LIES, HYPE AND DISAPPOINTMENTS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/01 at 17:41
Regular
There have been many games over the past few years that have sold so well due to the publicity received and the hype surrounding the game - thing is, when most games, even consoles, are hyped up so much you're often in for a very disappointing let down. PlayStation 2 anyone?"
Almost every console has gathered hype and failed with over expectations from their fans.

It isn't just the PlayStation 2 though, and to be fair the Sega Saturn was probably the biggest let down console wise, and yes Sony's immensely powerful machine is starting to roar - but there have been so many games that just struggle to live up to expectations - it's very infuriating, it's happening all the time, and it's got to stop. Can you remember the hype Perfect Dark had? It gathered such a big crowd of gamers that almost all the delays we just added more and more hype to the game.

I've only got a Nintendo 64, so I don't have to put up with shattered hopes of games not being worth the plastic they're made out of, as nearly every new N64 is good. The only downside is that we only get about 1 a month! Still, I have played on many of my mate's PlayStation 2 games, with him going on and on for months on end about how fantastic F1 2001's going to be, then only to find that when he does finally get it, it's bug ridden to hell. One can laugh, cry, but we mustn't accept such gaming drivel. We are driven by hype to buy these games that come out second rate.

"With the new GBA and games apparently living up to the incredible hype, I may well venture into the world of mini gaming - if it's got Nintendo's seal of approval, I may as well join the masses. After all 81,000 Britain’s can't be wrong can they? GT3 and MGS2 - both MAJOR PS2 forthcoming titles, and both said already to be the greatest thing in the gaming world - ok so they're both sequels, but hopefully the "12million" PS2 owners won't be disappointed. That's a lot of angry people. You lucky PS2 owners get the superb Deus Ex 2 on your machine though so that’s as good as a original game you can get.
The original games that come often don’t gather the ‘HYPE’ just because we don’t recognise the characters in the game.
I never bought Unreal Tournament because I had never heard of it before because it had no hype to it like Perfect Dark had.
Those sorts of games were left in the cold for too long.

So I conclude - STOP hyping games so much, it's mostly down to shoddy reviews like that Gibbon bloke on BBC ceefax who thinks 7/10 is the worst score to give to anything, as well as bias games magazines hyping up something or else they'll lose their job. A little bit of hype is a good thing, but already we're seeing full reviews of people's Metal Gear 2 expectations and hopes. Just wait people and learn to not over speculate what you will have in a few months time, you will be disappointed. I only hope it'll be worth the wait just like when I waited and hyped for Zelda 64 back in 98.
Wed 27/06/01 at 17:41
Regular
There have been many games over the past few years that have sold so well due to the publicity received and the hype surrounding the game - thing is, when most games, even consoles, are hyped up so much you're often in for a very disappointing let down. PlayStation 2 anyone?"
Almost every console has gathered hype and failed with over expectations from their fans.

It isn't just the PlayStation 2 though, and to be fair the Sega Saturn was probably the biggest let down console wise, and yes Sony's immensely powerful machine is starting to roar - but there have been so many games that just struggle to live up to expectations - it's very infuriating, it's happening all the time, and it's got to stop. Can you remember the hype Perfect Dark had? It gathered such a big crowd of gamers that almost all the delays we just added more and more hype to the game.

I've only got a Nintendo 64, so I don't have to put up with shattered hopes of games not being worth the plastic they're made out of, as nearly every new N64 is good. The only downside is that we only get about 1 a month! Still, I have played on many of my mate's PlayStation 2 games, with him going on and on for months on end about how fantastic F1 2001's going to be, then only to find that when he does finally get it, it's bug ridden to hell. One can laugh, cry, but we mustn't accept such gaming drivel. We are driven by hype to buy these games that come out second rate.

"With the new GBA and games apparently living up to the incredible hype, I may well venture into the world of mini gaming - if it's got Nintendo's seal of approval, I may as well join the masses. After all 81,000 Britain’s can't be wrong can they? GT3 and MGS2 - both MAJOR PS2 forthcoming titles, and both said already to be the greatest thing in the gaming world - ok so they're both sequels, but hopefully the "12million" PS2 owners won't be disappointed. That's a lot of angry people. You lucky PS2 owners get the superb Deus Ex 2 on your machine though so that’s as good as a original game you can get.
The original games that come often don’t gather the ‘HYPE’ just because we don’t recognise the characters in the game.
I never bought Unreal Tournament because I had never heard of it before because it had no hype to it like Perfect Dark had.
Those sorts of games were left in the cold for too long.

So I conclude - STOP hyping games so much, it's mostly down to shoddy reviews like that Gibbon bloke on BBC ceefax who thinks 7/10 is the worst score to give to anything, as well as bias games magazines hyping up something or else they'll lose their job. A little bit of hype is a good thing, but already we're seeing full reviews of people's Metal Gear 2 expectations and hopes. Just wait people and learn to not over speculate what you will have in a few months time, you will be disappointed. I only hope it'll be worth the wait just like when I waited and hyped for Zelda 64 back in 98.
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:17
I didn't buy the PS2 hype - Instead bought the PS2, I sold the PS2 and now it's good.

I needed cash though.

Another great post Sniper. Well done for not leaving.
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Reads like one of Dan 2K1's posts... :D
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:28
I think hype will always be with us. It can lead to games and consoles being furiously bought because of the hype. They could turn out brilliant, they could turn out disappointing. But, in the gaming industry, that's life.

Hype could vanish in the future, but not for a very long time.
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:34
The Game wrote:
> Reads like one of Dan 2K1's posts... :D

Without being modest, I'd say that was the biggest compliment you have given Sniper.

(without being modest!! hehe!)
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:53
Regular
"smile, it's free"
The Sniper GAD attempt: Part 3

Actually, having read it, it seems to be a pretty good post. I really don't want to treat it like a newbie post and say "it's wekk written", but ... it is.

Hyping is indeed a bad thing. Is it perhaps, the fact that sequels are receiving so much hype that is the problem, rather than hype for other games?

A good original game will get hype, and will sell. the problem is that a mediocre sequel will do the same.

The amount of hype over bad games is the reason why I only really trust multi-format mags for info on games nowadays.
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
VenomByte wrote:
I really don't want to treat it like a
> newbie post and say "it's wekk written"

I really, really don't want to say that, in fact. ;)

Damn. I hate getting typing errors....
Wed 27/06/01 at 18:58
Regular
It don't matter venom you don't have to go and copy it into MS word and spell check it!
But maybe SR could have that one day.
Wed 27/06/01 at 19:02
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Ah, but I really, really can't stand it when I make typing errors.

Mental though process:
"I'm just a gamer, using a PC. It has a 105 button pad. I must get to grips with it. Pressing the wrong button is not acceptable."
Wed 27/06/01 at 19:09
Regular
Like me messing up a corner on Excitebike and missing my chance to win the bloody tournament argh.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.