GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Olympics - PC ?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/07/04 at 11:32
Regular
Some people live for pc games , many ps2 , xbox and gamecube developers have released excellent games. Take the sims bustin out for example , wheres the pc version , after all the pc did create the sims so surely that means all sims games should be available on pc. Once again another game has failed to be born in the world of pc gaming 'Athens 2004 Olympics' is the game recently released on ps2 , it looks great with the graphics and events and i just couldnt wait to buy it on pc as the olympics were fast approaching. Oh yeah ... it isnt available on the pc !
Why should I have to go and buy a playstation 2 for one game , all i ask is for all systems to be considered , not just the most popular ones
Does anyone agree ?
Sat 07/08/04 at 14:36
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Muh?
Thu 05/08/04 at 19:02
Regular
"Gaming 1976-2004"
The trouble is the consoles have somewhat killed PC gaming by a huge margin in the last few years.

If you go back pre XBox and when we only had Playstation 1 then, lets face it, the graphics on these consoles and the speed of gameplay meant that all us PC enthusiasts would rather play on our desktops.

However, XBox and PS2 have brought fantastic high quality graphics in games to our TV screens foregoing the need for expensive PC graphics cards to be replaced every year just to play the latest games.

Don't get me wrong I'm a PC enthusiast and I have a PS2 and XBox. However I have found that I have changed very much the way I use my PC and my consoles in the last few years as a result.

I use my PC now primarily for the usual mundane stuff like word processing, spreadsheets, email and the usual day to day stuff.
I do still use my PC game for gaming but this is normally restricted to Microsoft Flight Simulator - a simulation that, at the moment, could not be reproduced on a console due to all the additional add-ons and downloads available.
I still prefer to play first-person-shooters on my PC. E.g. Far Cry, Call Of Duty, Black Hawk Down etc. Not particularly because the graphics are better than consoles but because I find these types of games easier to control using the keyboard and mouse rather than a console controller.
I also prefer strategy games on my PC to the consoles e.g. Sim City 4, again for ease of controls.
I also love browsing the web, on-line-shopping and I have 5 different websites to look after so Microsoft Front Page gets a lot of use.

A few years back I used it mainly for gaming and gaming alone.

Now my PS2 I use mainly because World Rally Championship is only made for that console. I also have a back catalogue of titles from prior to when XBox was launched. I also buy the occasional PS2 title at bargain price.

Most of my favourite gaming now is done on the XBox for the simple reason, in the far majority of cases games are superior on it. I love rally titles, adventure titles, most driving games, in fact a broad range of stuff.

You have to face it, at least with a console there are normally no worries that a game will not run. No worries that if it doesn't run (highly unlikely) then you can return it for a full refund. Your game is also highly likely still to work when the next generation consoles are launched. Bugs will be practically non existent in games because everybody is using the same hardware hence no need for patches. XBox live has opened more doors for free additional content in your games - haven't seen many PC developers doing similar. Minimal worries about your console crashing compared to a PC..... with more thinking time I could come up with dozens more reasons why I now like console gaming.

There is one other factor though and that is cost of keeping your PC up to date to play games at their optimum settings. If you try to keep at least relatively up to date with 3D graphics card for gaming then if you buy a new card at launch even a retailer like Special Reserve normally sell these for around £380.

For that £380 you could currently buy at Special Reserve

An XBox with
Halo & MIdtown Madness 3 £139.99

and
Playstation 2 with
Extra Controller and
8mb memory card £157.99

Special Offers:
This Is football 2004 PS2 £10
Eye Toy Groove and Camera £10

That works out at a touch under £320 with £60 still left, enough for you to buy a couple of new releases from Special Reserve.

All that for the price of one newly released PC 3d graphics accelerator card!

Believe me in the past I was always a PC enthusiast and never thought I would look at console gaming. But times have changed and I am pleased I moved with the times and took some of my gaming off the PC.

Go on be brave and treat yourself to a console, preferably an XBox to take advantage of the brillaint XBox live, you will not regret it!

Dave :)
Thu 22/07/04 at 11:32
Regular
Some people live for pc games , many ps2 , xbox and gamecube developers have released excellent games. Take the sims bustin out for example , wheres the pc version , after all the pc did create the sims so surely that means all sims games should be available on pc. Once again another game has failed to be born in the world of pc gaming 'Athens 2004 Olympics' is the game recently released on ps2 , it looks great with the graphics and events and i just couldnt wait to buy it on pc as the olympics were fast approaching. Oh yeah ... it isnt available on the pc !
Why should I have to go and buy a playstation 2 for one game , all i ask is for all systems to be considered , not just the most popular ones
Does anyone agree ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.