GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is the dreamcast set for an early demise?!?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/06/01 at 01:50
Regular
It has only been out for less than 2 years and already has only a year at most game release wise! Sales of the dreamcast were supposedly higher than expectations, so why have sega done this so soon? Madness, MADNESS I tell's yer!!
Wed 27/06/01 at 01:50
It has only been out for less than 2 years and already has only a year at most game release wise! Sales of the dreamcast were supposedly higher than expectations, so why have sega done this so soon? Madness, MADNESS I tell's yer!!
Wed 27/06/01 at 08:35
Because it cannot cope with the pressure from Sony. And being third party means they get more profits.
Wed 27/06/01 at 09:47
Sega can make more money as a software company, it makes sense. In many ways its good news as now Sega will always be with us.
Wed 27/06/01 at 11:29
Regular
"not dead"
It is sad that Sega will no longer be making consoles, but in my opinion they brought it upon themselves.

Firstly they failed to market the product to gamers. They only really advertised the online aspect of gaming, but it was later that the games came to enable this.

Secondly they abandoned the characters that put them where they were. With Nintendo you have Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, always there, and selling games. Sega just seemed to let many of their promising franchises disappear, or revived them too late.

A Shinobi game would have surely been a hit, as it was successful on both the Sega Master System and the Megadrive, but then the series stopped. If it returned with all of the features that make todays games special it would have been huge!

Alex Kidd was also left to rot, after beingthe Sega Master Systems mascot character. I loved these games, and would have loved to play them on todays consoles.

Phantasy Star was left too long. After part 4 on the Megadrive people were still desperate for more, but many didn't know what Phantasy Star was when a Dreamcast game finally arrived, as they didn't manageto keep the legend fresh in our minds.

A lack of 3rd party support really damaged Sega though. Had people have been able to play the like of FIFA games on the Dreamcast it may have been a more exciting proposition to gamers. People need a lot of what they know, and are familiar with, rather than too much originality!

Still, Sega make great games and I'm really looking forward to what they will produce for the GAMECUBE. Phantasy Star Online v2 is looking good, and it features some of the music from the original, (only sounding much better quality) so that'll please the retro gamer in me.

Super Monkey Ball is looking to be a fun launch title too, simple to get into and highly addictive.

Also with their work on the Gameboy Advance, they will please retro gamers with Streets of Rage and Golden Axe promised, and those that like something original too.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:07
Sega should have spent more on advertising, and perhaps even done the unthinkable and lower the price of their arcade games in the UK. This would have built up a support base for Segas machine.

A Shinobi game would have been great.
Wed 27/06/01 at 12:32
Regular
"not dead"
Yep. Arcade games are too expensive.

If they were cheaper more people would go in, and see all of these games first hand. They would have a go, then go out and buy the Dreamcast version.

But no. Arcades games got too expensive, so people don't go in as often. The arcade owners gets rid of a few games, and sticks in a few more fruit machines to drag in the gamblers.
Mon 02/07/01 at 09:27
Regular
"DS..."
OK, Firstly why r u disscusing the demise of the DC in a Nintendo forum? and secondly the DC was doomed from the start cos most of the games were crap and most of them were greystation crossovers plus the factor that quite a few of the games could be easily completed in a matter of 1 to 2 days plus maybe it's for the best that the DC was a failiure cos now Sega can focus on making great games for Nintendo rather than going on to make another console that could also fail and possibly make them bankrupt, I mean just look at sonic advance it looks like a very good platformer and if Sega keep on making quality games like this then their future is certainly starting to look up!
slik *_*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.