GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Wants X-Box to Fail"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 01:13
Regular
I believe Microsoft knows the X-Box will fail, So I hear you say why are they wasting all their time and money?
Once the X-Box fails Microsoft will no longer be an all conquering corporate giant or at least that will be the perception after all the media coverage surrounding it's fail. Don't worry about poor Bill though even though his console may flop, he'll sell enough to X-Boxes to pay the debts and hey if he doesn't why will he care? he'll still be the richest man in the world!
Sat 07/07/01 at 19:41
What are you on about Rik-Rik, it doesnt cost Microsoft much more to put a DVD drive into the X-box than a CD drive.

Besides which in order to use the DVD drive in the X-box as a movie player youll have to by Microsofts remote control which could cost £20 - £30 (Thats a guess, no official price yet) that should easily cover the extra cost. Not to mention the saving on the cost in materials for producing a game on one DVD as oppossed to 8 CDs!

Most homes in the UK do not have a DVD player yet.
Fri 06/07/01 at 16:24
Look at Sony, they had no pedigree in the games industry and still overtook both Sega and Nintendo by literally throwing money into the project as a marketing exercise. Sony made themselves 'cool' by releasing the PS1 and Microsoft want to do the same thing but at least they have released some excellent games (AOE, Motorcross madness etc.) And have gone out and brought the company writing probably the best game that was going to grace the PC in Halo for launch. There is no way that Microsoft will fail.

Also talking about the OS is not needed, you forget the Dreamcats has a windows CE OS and I believe none of the launch games used it which maybe the case for the launch titles for the XBOX and the price, you try and buy a PC for £350 that will run Giants!
Fri 06/07/01 at 16:22
The x-box does not a DVD player. The majority of people that are buying the x-box are buying it for the games and not the DVD player. Besides most of the households in the UK already have a DVD player.
It would make Mircrosofts life more easier by keeping costs down.
Microsoft also needs to get more exclusive developers so they can work closely with them to make the games good.
Thu 05/07/01 at 20:41
Regular
"I'M BACK"
Hiya

I think the XBOX will NEVER fail!!!!!!!!!!!
Sun 01/07/01 at 01:20
"I love yo... lamp."
We should support the X-box as MS are new entrants to the console market and Sony are getting arrogant. Microsoft I think will have done their sums and at first will make a loss. All consoles that sell for under about £350-400 make a loss but look at Sony, the PS sold about 55 million to date. That would amount to huge losses but as there is a large second hand market there is always more games sold. I reckon that a PS that has been traded in will through all of its owners have had about 50 games bought for it new. So that would make up for the huge losses incurred.
Biggles
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:12
Microsoft were never really planning to release that early, you can tell that they wish they had more time. This week they announced that the DVD drives will be provided by Philips, as Philips can easily supply all the drives Microsoft could possibly need.

Philips are Europes leader in home electronics, and the inventos of optical technology such as CDs and DVDs so the drive should be spot on.

Thats why Im saying Microsoft will lose more than predicted per console.
Tue 26/06/01 at 19:05
Funny thing is is that as soon as Microsoft announced their official release date at e3, Nintendo straight away announced that they would release it 3 days earlier in America and for $100 cheaper. Microsoft cannot bring their launch further forward because some of it's components aren't finished.
Tue 26/06/01 at 18:56
Windows is a poor OS, best described as a Beached Whale. An OS should be small fast and functional, Windows is none of those things. However the X-box wont be held back by Windows so it may do well.

Microsoft will be losing alot of money selling the X-box, maybe even more than £150 per console as they didnt plan to have to launch so early but have been forced to by Nintendos sharp moves.

The X-box will have to do well for Microsoft to recover its investment.
Tue 26/06/01 at 17:50
I read that the X-box looses $150 for every console they sell. They only make their money back through games sold. It is estimated that Microsoft will need three years before it even breaks even and that's only is the console sells well.
Tue 26/06/01 at 10:24
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Other than windows and unix there are no other Operating systems that run as well on the PC windows may be the best but it is nowhere near perfect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.