GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, these Ebay counterfeits..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/07/04 at 16:40
Regular
": ("
...just wondering whether anyone could tell me more about them, so if you dont mind could you answer the following questions for us :

1) How exactly do these people get the games if they haven't even been released in America?

2) Are they worth the money?

3) I bought a copied Mario 4 GBA SP game without knowing it was copied, will I get told off by the police or something?

4) Why does Ebay allow people to sell illega stuff?

5) How can I tell whether i'm buying a counterfeit game or not?

Cheers.
Sat 14/08/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Raw on"
1) How exactly do these people get the games if they haven't even been released in America? like someone said before - source code... or they emulate it from a pervious game and cos no one's actually played the real game, no one notices it

2) Are they worth the money? depends how much it costs... I recently bought pokemon ruby for £15 which is like half price without knowing it was pirate at the time but it plays fine, the box looks great - only beef is the glaringly obviously pirated manual

3) I bought a copied Mario 4 GBA SP game without knowing it was copied, will I get told off by the police or something? if you bought it off e-bay I have an idea who you might have got it from cos I got my ruby off him too. oh and no you wont since you weren't the one who pirated it and broke the copywrite law or sold it

4) Why does Ebay allow people to sell illegal stuff? they don't - file a complaint with them and bring the said illegal stuff to their attention

5) How can I tell whether i'm buying a counterfeit game or not?look for bad thin manuals, glitches in the game, a screen advertising the piraters before the game and look at what the cart/box looks like on a site which definatley doesn't sell pirated goods for a visual comparison. Don't buy anything that says it's imported form hong kong or anything that says it has some bi-lingual aspects. As for games that haven't been released yet but are "real", look for the RP or rating pending sign on the box. Anything with this is definatley not legitimate as anything that has been released into the public will have a rating on it! Any game that hasn't been released yet and isn't selling for a very high price is almost definatley not legal

all I can say is either buy from places you trust or request to play the game and see everything to make sure it's legal and good to go!
Sat 14/08/04 at 08:51
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Sibs wrote:
> Eh? Pirate Sellers are PowerSellers? Surely after a few people
> leaving feedback saying the goods they got were pirate versions other
> buyers would get wary or Ebay would take some sort of action. I know
> Ebay isn't well policed, but surely they must have some manpower
> checking PowerSellers for negative feedback and suchlike...

I've seen powersellers with literally hundreds of negatives so don't bet on it, there is no checking - you hit the monthly turnover and they upgrade you. I think you underestimate just how good the pirate products are in terms of quality, if you have never seen the genuine item then you'd be fooled, and in the case of Anime/Scifi etc DVD's I think a lot of people know they are fakes but there is often no proper version on release in the UK, hence you either buy pirate or never get to see it. I'd say 90% of all anime DVD on eBay is fake. Not so bad for main films but still bad, of the few Girl Next Door's on at the moment about 30% are fakes, but they have bids. A common ruse for sellers is to claim that DVD's of films not out here are R1 - 'cause after all people assume stuff is out in America ages before over here, but they will be multi-region. Really being multi-region is the give away factor, only really obscure stuff - or old 1st generation DVD's are multiregion. If it's a major title in any way and the seller says it's multi-region then it's a copy. Another ploy is to use the boxart of the genuine one on the auction.
Sat 14/08/04 at 01:11
Regular
"Teal'c"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> I am very diasappointed. Mmany ears of good feeback ruined because
> they won;t let me sell.

Ahahaha drunkard.
Sat 14/08/04 at 01:01
Regular
I am very diasappointed. Mmany ears of good feeback ruined because they won;t let me sell.
Sat 14/08/04 at 00:58
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
gamer2005 wrote:
> Honestly, just don't buy off Ebay. There is no guarantee you will even
> recieve your goods. Just buy of reputable companies e.g Special
> Reserve, where you know you aren't being conned.
>
> (is that how you spell conned? It doesn't look right)

Ebay are a solid company and ive never had a problem with it. Its great for low price stuff which you cant find anywhere else. However they do strongly monitor items that you sell. I got two US N64 games removed as in my description I merely said they would work on chipped consoles. They told me that I was therefore encourageing piracy. Saying that all they did was remove the games and refund me my money. The firm arm of the law wasnt notified...
Sat 14/08/04 at 00:29
Regular
ill tekk you what ebay are; idiots. I had a proper account, but they've banned me for ecently selling a laptop . Hwring is that?
Sat 07/08/04 at 16:29
Regular
"Underbean"
i bought my phone of there too its in perfect condition and works find and its not a clone but i want a new one, any one want a nokia 7650?????
Thu 05/08/04 at 15:01
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
gamer2005 wrote:
> Honestly, just don't buy off Ebay. There is no guarantee you will even
> recieve your goods. Just buy of reputable companies e.g Special
> Reserve, where you know you aren't being conned.

Way to suck up to SR...

Ebay is perfectly okay as long as you buy from sellers with decent amount of positive feedback. I've bought loads of CDs off there from all over the world, I bought my GameCube off there, an extra controller, and a few games... I've never had any problems apart from having to wait a while becuase the post was slow. Oh, and one of the 2nd hand CDs I bought skipped on one track... Fact is as long as you're not a fool about it and go buying off sellers with 0 feedback or bidding on items that are obviously pirate/fake you'll be fine on Ebay.
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:37
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I use eBay, have over 50+ transactions and never had a problem.

Of course, there is a certain degree of intelligence required to realise if you're going to be conned or not...
Thu 05/08/04 at 12:53
Regular
"~DPG~"
Honestly, just don't buy off Ebay. There is no guarantee you will even recieve your goods. Just buy of reputable companies e.g Special Reserve, where you know you aren't being conned.

(is that how you spell conned? It doesn't look right)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.