GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt'.
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:04
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Has anyone seen the news? Manhunt has been banned in Dixons and Game because someone of a murdered son says it was the fault of manhunt that he got murdered. What do you think of this? Im alright as I already have a copy but my cousin is going to buy it. There is also talk about banning games like Max Payne, Gta and State Of Emergency, these three wont cause such a great impact as they have been out a while, but Manhunt hasnt even reached cheap prices in shops or even in Special Reserve. Quite frankly i think it is stupid to blame a game on events that happen in real life. The murderer was 17 and shouldnt have been playing Manhunt anyway so it shouldnt be Rockstar that suffer due to parents stupidity if their child was so mentally unstable that they made fiction become fact.

What makes matters worse is that the plea to ban the game is for kids protection but 1. They shouldnt be playing it and 2. It takes more than a game to make you want to kill, the game only shows ways to kill but doesnt hold a sign saying you must kill to be cool. If the game was to get a full ban (god forbid) I think this would only make people more determined to get a hold of a copy. I know there will be some mixed views on this from parents and children or teenagers, I think to blame a game is a pathetic excuse, an easy way out but thats just me. Please reply to this post and give your views. Perhaps there could be a petition or something started to ensure games like manhunt won't get banned. So far it is only select shops banning the game and not an official order and hopefully never will be. Personally I don't think any game should get banned no matter how violent as it is only a fantasy and not intended to be real, just to provide an escape from the "real" world for a few hours, to chill and relax. With any luck companies will heed this warning and choose not to ban games. They do after all have a rating meaning children shouldnt be playing "over" violent games. If someone younger does play it it is at the consent of the parent, I'm not saying the parents are to blame, but simply that a company as great as Rockstar don't suffer through petty excuses.

Please leave your comments, thank you.
Thu 29/07/04 at 22:20
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
The purple-haired lass on 'Dirty-pair-flash: angels in trouble'.
The one with the white and blue suit on!!

Yeah, it's just a cover shot. But on the DVD itself, it's purple!!!

But that isn't the point! People are threatening to make the future of gaming Kaput!!!! By banning games, those nice people who spend years making the consoles will go out of business!!!
Thu 29/07/04 at 22:03
Regular
Me.

My secret newbie account.
Thu 29/07/04 at 22:02
Regular
Who is Yuri?
Thu 29/07/04 at 21:48
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Not wrong, there. Next thing you know, they'll attempt to ban 'The Sims' because it makes people turn into control freaks!
Thu 29/07/04 at 21:45
Regular
manhunt is quite a nasty game, but it seems to me that it was just coincidence that this murderer happened to have manhunt in his videogame collection. It seems to me that the media have just put their spin on it by saying the boy was 'obsessed' with manhunt to glorify what is just an unfortunate, everyday evil act of murder. People get killed with guns all the time but no one blames return to castle wolfenstein or halo or timsplitters. They have guns in them, whats not to say that a game like this could influence a child? Ridiculous. But this leads to another point. Its not as if this murderer was young and impressionable. He was 17 for christ sakes. He should be responsible for his own actions, he was fully aware of what he was doing. But maybe manhunt did contribute to this cruel thing. This boy was probably unstable in the first place, and playing manhunt may have just inspired him to bludgeon someone to death with a
hammer.
If Manhunt was to be banned outright in the UK its possible that the same rules would apply to all games of its ilk. Gta and postal for example. But then if they banned those why not ban violent movies, horror books and extreme tv programs. Bloody hell their is violence every where. You cannot ban one violent thing and not another. It would pretty much ruin alot of media. Violent entertainment has been quite common for years. Ever since children watched shows like power rangers, played with toy soldiers or played mortal kombat in the arcades it MAY have been a problem. I dont think it will happen though. Their will be no outright ban. Its a pretty rare case anyway and I doubt anything like it will ever happen again. After all its not as if films like the puppet master were banned after the killing of jamie bulger. This was said to have been the killers inspiration.
To sum this up I'm going to say that manhunt should be left alone and it is deinitely not totally to blame. If games did supposedly cause people to kill eachother I doubt the gaming industry would even survive. I mean most games out these days are violent in one way or another. This is just one tragic, isolated case of evil among about 30 million console owners in the UK.
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:35
Regular
Heh, give him a chance, he made a pretty decent post.

I agree with you, It's pretty stupid huh?

But there again, in my personal opinion, Manhunt was a pretty average game.
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:25
Regular
"\\"
A topic?

Try along the lines of about 5.
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:14
Regular
"hulagadoo"
OK im sorry I hadent noticed that there was already a topic concerning Manhunt.
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:13
Regular
Is there really any need for another topic?
Thu 29/07/04 at 20:04
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Has anyone seen the news? Manhunt has been banned in Dixons and Game because someone of a murdered son says it was the fault of manhunt that he got murdered. What do you think of this? Im alright as I already have a copy but my cousin is going to buy it. There is also talk about banning games like Max Payne, Gta and State Of Emergency, these three wont cause such a great impact as they have been out a while, but Manhunt hasnt even reached cheap prices in shops or even in Special Reserve. Quite frankly i think it is stupid to blame a game on events that happen in real life. The murderer was 17 and shouldnt have been playing Manhunt anyway so it shouldnt be Rockstar that suffer due to parents stupidity if their child was so mentally unstable that they made fiction become fact.

What makes matters worse is that the plea to ban the game is for kids protection but 1. They shouldnt be playing it and 2. It takes more than a game to make you want to kill, the game only shows ways to kill but doesnt hold a sign saying you must kill to be cool. If the game was to get a full ban (god forbid) I think this would only make people more determined to get a hold of a copy. I know there will be some mixed views on this from parents and children or teenagers, I think to blame a game is a pathetic excuse, an easy way out but thats just me. Please reply to this post and give your views. Perhaps there could be a petition or something started to ensure games like manhunt won't get banned. So far it is only select shops banning the game and not an official order and hopefully never will be. Personally I don't think any game should get banned no matter how violent as it is only a fantasy and not intended to be real, just to provide an escape from the "real" world for a few hours, to chill and relax. With any luck companies will heed this warning and choose not to ban games. They do after all have a rating meaning children shouldnt be playing "over" violent games. If someone younger does play it it is at the consent of the parent, I'm not saying the parents are to blame, but simply that a company as great as Rockstar don't suffer through petty excuses.

Please leave your comments, thank you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.