GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If you came up with a new game idea what would it be?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/07/04 at 16:05
Regular
"Gaming 1976-2004"
I just wondered if us game players had the choice of a never-done-before concept or project in gaming what would it be?

I've always had this idea of Learner Driver Xtreme.

A game which can be played in two different ways.

You can either be the safe, law abiding citizen or the Driver From Hell!

In the good driver mode you could progress through what is literally a whole series of driving lessons leading on to the eventual driving test which has to be retaken again if you fail.

Sounds a bit boring from the outset doesn't it? But this isn't the whole story. Random factors would make all the difference. Random weather from fine to storms, random traffic flow and patterns, crazy pedestrian behaviour, experiencing bad driving from other drivers. Random routes for your lessons, random instructor where strictness levels vary.

"Bad points" from your lessons would stack up against you. The more you clock up the more lessons you would have to take before your test and your eventual examiner's mood (and in effect his judgement of you) would also alter accordingly.

Crash damage could be built in to add to the effect - anything from a scratch to an insurance write-off.

You could literally have a whole town (or city) or city to explore and a theoretical infinite number of routes for the lessons based on random directions from the instructor.

And then there's the bad-lad-mode

A mode when the aim is to clock up bad points and to scare the living daylights out of your instructor and, eventually, your examiner. No killing of pedestrians or life threatening crashes otherwise you have to restart the lesson. But near-misses, sharp cornering, bumps and scrapes with other vehicles, jumping traffic lights, exceeding speed limits are all order of the day.

This is the direct reverse of the good driver mode you must reach a certain level of "badness" to be able to take the Xtreme Driving Test and you must then in that test try to commit a certain number of offences to ensure you fail the driving test. Yes in this instance you must not pass the aim is to fail and to fail well!

This might not be evrybody's cup of tea as regards to a new idea in gaming but I'd be interested to read what the rest of us would like to see in the way of new gaming ideas.
Sat 28/08/04 at 02:53
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
Dave_Smith wrote:
> I just wondered if us game players had the choice of a
> never-done-before concept or project in gaming what would it be?
>
> I've always had this idea of Learner Driver Xtreme.
>
> A game which can be played in two different ways.
>
> You can either be the safe, law abiding citizen or the Driver From
> Hell!
>
> In the good driver mode you could progress through what is literally
> a whole series of driving lessons leading on to the eventual driving
> test which has to be retaken again if you fail.
>
> Sounds a bit boring from the outset doesn't it? But this isn't the
> whole story. Random factors would make all the difference. Random
> weather from fine to storms, random traffic flow and patterns, crazy
> pedestrian behaviour, experiencing bad driving from other drivers.
> Random routes for your lessons, random instructor where strictness
> levels vary.
>
> "Bad points" from your lessons would stack up against you.
> The more you clock up the more lessons you would have to take before
> your test and your eventual examiner's mood (and in effect his
> judgement of you) would also alter accordingly.
>
> Crash damage could be built in to add to the effect - anything from a
> scratch to an insurance write-off.
>
> You could literally have a whole town (or city) or city to explore
> and a theoretical infinite number of routes for the lessons based on
> random directions from the instructor.
>
> And then there's the bad-lad-mode
>
> A mode when the aim is to clock up bad points and to scare the living
> daylights out of your instructor and, eventually, your examiner. No
> killing of pedestrians or life threatening crashes otherwise you have
> to restart the lesson. But near-misses, sharp cornering, bumps and
> scrapes with other vehicles, jumping traffic lights, exceeding speed
> limits are all order of the day.
>
> This is the direct reverse of the good driver mode you must reach a
> certain level of "badness" to be able to take the Xtreme
> Driving Test and you must then in that test try to commit a certain
> number of offences to ensure you fail the driving test. Yes in this
> instance you must not pass the aim is to fail and to fail well!
>
> This might not be evrybody's cup of tea as regards to a new idea in
> gaming but I'd be interested to read what the rest of us would like
> to see in the way of new gaming ideas.

Would this game be a console or PC game?
Wed 04/08/04 at 22:30
Regular
"Bad Wolf; England"
I had one.

But no-one liked my idea.

So, this apology is in place of it!

:C
Sun 01/08/04 at 18:17
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
It will be a making a band and selling records
Fri 30/07/04 at 23:13
Regular
Dave_Smith wrote:
> I just wondered if us game players had the choice of a
> never-done-before concept or project in gaming what would it be?
>
> I've always had this idea of Learner Driver Xtreme.
>
> A game which can be played in two different ways.
>
> You can either be the safe, law abiding citizen or the Driver From
> Hell!

Sounds like the Hazard Perception Test to me.
Fri 30/07/04 at 16:05
Regular
"Gaming 1976-2004"
I just wondered if us game players had the choice of a never-done-before concept or project in gaming what would it be?

I've always had this idea of Learner Driver Xtreme.

A game which can be played in two different ways.

You can either be the safe, law abiding citizen or the Driver From Hell!

In the good driver mode you could progress through what is literally a whole series of driving lessons leading on to the eventual driving test which has to be retaken again if you fail.

Sounds a bit boring from the outset doesn't it? But this isn't the whole story. Random factors would make all the difference. Random weather from fine to storms, random traffic flow and patterns, crazy pedestrian behaviour, experiencing bad driving from other drivers. Random routes for your lessons, random instructor where strictness levels vary.

"Bad points" from your lessons would stack up against you. The more you clock up the more lessons you would have to take before your test and your eventual examiner's mood (and in effect his judgement of you) would also alter accordingly.

Crash damage could be built in to add to the effect - anything from a scratch to an insurance write-off.

You could literally have a whole town (or city) or city to explore and a theoretical infinite number of routes for the lessons based on random directions from the instructor.

And then there's the bad-lad-mode

A mode when the aim is to clock up bad points and to scare the living daylights out of your instructor and, eventually, your examiner. No killing of pedestrians or life threatening crashes otherwise you have to restart the lesson. But near-misses, sharp cornering, bumps and scrapes with other vehicles, jumping traffic lights, exceeding speed limits are all order of the day.

This is the direct reverse of the good driver mode you must reach a certain level of "badness" to be able to take the Xtreme Driving Test and you must then in that test try to commit a certain number of offences to ensure you fail the driving test. Yes in this instance you must not pass the aim is to fail and to fail well!

This might not be evrybody's cup of tea as regards to a new idea in gaming but I'd be interested to read what the rest of us would like to see in the way of new gaming ideas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.