GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"RUMBLE RACING REVIEW (MY FIRST EVER REVIEW!)"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/06/01 at 23:10
Regular
If you are one of those people out there that don't like to spend 10 minutes or more reading reviews, I’ll give you one word... WOW!!!

But if you are not lazy, (like the people who have only read the top paragraph) I’ll continue.

This game is great! Although this game seems very similar to a certain SSX in terms of game play (almost the same controls and the idea of doing tricks off jumps) it is just different enough to persuade me to go out and spend £40 of my hard earned cash (or £36.99 from those wonderful people at Special Reserve, that if I had know about would have had me whipping out my credit card with a sharp yell of “CHARGE IT!”)

__The game starts off with an impressive video of different tracks and cars contained in the game. Once you get into the game itself you are confronted with a main menu which consists of: 1 player, 2 player, difficulty, power ups (active/not active), Hall of champs, Game options, and showcase. I will now go on to tell you about these menu options.

__1 PLAYER: the one player menu contains, single race, which is a simple, quick race. A championship mode (this mode is needed to unlock cars and tracks which I will tell you about later) in the championship mode you will race three tracks one after another, in order to gain a Gold, Silver or Bronze trophy, this will unlock a level, a car, and the next championship mode which will be needed to gain even more tracks e.t.c. A stunt challenge, which takes place on a track, the aim here is to gain as many points as possible, this can be done by going for a jump, holding R2 and pressing a directional button. It has a Showdown, this is where you race ‘head to head’ against one other CPU driver for one lap. The last option is Single race options, here you can choose the number of drivers on the track (1-8), how many Co-op teams there are (no this is not a well known high street supermarket, again I will explain later), the amount of laps (1-8), and the option to select your CPU opponents cars.
CARS/TRACKS: there are 36 cars some are unlocked others aren’t, each with three different stats (as you progress you will be able to choose the Rookie, Pro, or Elite version of the car) the cars are all smoothly portrayed onto your T.V screen. There are 15 different tracks, the moment you first play the game 3 will be unlocked.

__2 PLAYERS: This option has the same features as 1 player (single race, championship, stunt challenge, and options, the difference is CO-OP teams are enabled on this screen.
CO-OP TEAMS: In this mode, you team up with one other HUMAN player, your goal is for both of you to finish quickly, the team with the least amount of time, when both times are added together is the winner! In this mode it is impossible to send weapons at your team mate (apart from the rock, if you send them in front of your alley it can still block them)

__DIFFICULTY: there are three CPU difficulty levels, it is best to start off with the easiest, which is, Forgiving. Once you have practised, you may wish to progress onto Intense, if you really get Big Headed, you can move onto NO MERCY mode!!!! I’ve tried it, they weren’t joking when they called it that!

__POWERUPS: This option is to turn on/off the powerups, although without these the game begins to get kinda boring! The powerups on the game are the best I have ever seen! They are:
BAD GAS: any vehicle where you throw this suffers a decrease in speed
INVINCLE: self explanatory
NITRO: speed boost
OIL SLICK: any vehicle running into this will loose control
SUPER TRACTION: better grip
TWISTER: The best powerup ever!!! You launch this, the sky goes dark, and a twister starts to race up the track, flinging up anything in its way (including cars!!)
BIG HIT: any other cars you bump into will go flying
SHOCKWAVE: sends a shockwave through the floor
JOKER: it can be good, it can be bad!
FREEZE: freezes a car and causes driver to loose ALL control of steering
BOMB: what do you think?
LANDSLIDE: rocks come tumbling down on anyone underneath
…Do you see what I mean now?? The option of sending some of these weapons backwards is also available by looking backwards (R1) and shooting

__HALL OF CHAMPS: Basically a hall of fame

__GAME OPTIONS: All the usual audio options (this game has Dolby, I wish my TV supported that, imagine the sound *drools all over keyboard*). You can set your player name here. Load and Save. You can clear all your records. And the Controller Config, all the usual stuff!

__SHOWCASE: here you can watch that wonderful opening screen again, or you can watch the best credits I have ever seen (instead of all the boring black screen e.t.c, it has a twister in the background and all the words come out from it, they then get blown away!)

So I shall conclude with, this game seems to be intended at everyone, it is fun, and has the racing game in there. One problem with this game is it is not very realistic, the turning doesn’t have much skid on it, if you want realism I would advise GT3 but, HEY, WHY NOT GET BOTH???

This is TOMUK signing off from his first ever review, thankyou and goodnight!
Sun 24/06/01 at 23:10
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
If you are one of those people out there that don't like to spend 10 minutes or more reading reviews, I’ll give you one word... WOW!!!

But if you are not lazy, (like the people who have only read the top paragraph) I’ll continue.

This game is great! Although this game seems very similar to a certain SSX in terms of game play (almost the same controls and the idea of doing tricks off jumps) it is just different enough to persuade me to go out and spend £40 of my hard earned cash (or £36.99 from those wonderful people at Special Reserve, that if I had know about would have had me whipping out my credit card with a sharp yell of “CHARGE IT!”)

__The game starts off with an impressive video of different tracks and cars contained in the game. Once you get into the game itself you are confronted with a main menu which consists of: 1 player, 2 player, difficulty, power ups (active/not active), Hall of champs, Game options, and showcase. I will now go on to tell you about these menu options.

__1 PLAYER: the one player menu contains, single race, which is a simple, quick race. A championship mode (this mode is needed to unlock cars and tracks which I will tell you about later) in the championship mode you will race three tracks one after another, in order to gain a Gold, Silver or Bronze trophy, this will unlock a level, a car, and the next championship mode which will be needed to gain even more tracks e.t.c. A stunt challenge, which takes place on a track, the aim here is to gain as many points as possible, this can be done by going for a jump, holding R2 and pressing a directional button. It has a Showdown, this is where you race ‘head to head’ against one other CPU driver for one lap. The last option is Single race options, here you can choose the number of drivers on the track (1-8), how many Co-op teams there are (no this is not a well known high street supermarket, again I will explain later), the amount of laps (1-8), and the option to select your CPU opponents cars.
CARS/TRACKS: there are 36 cars some are unlocked others aren’t, each with three different stats (as you progress you will be able to choose the Rookie, Pro, or Elite version of the car) the cars are all smoothly portrayed onto your T.V screen. There are 15 different tracks, the moment you first play the game 3 will be unlocked.

__2 PLAYERS: This option has the same features as 1 player (single race, championship, stunt challenge, and options, the difference is CO-OP teams are enabled on this screen.
CO-OP TEAMS: In this mode, you team up with one other HUMAN player, your goal is for both of you to finish quickly, the team with the least amount of time, when both times are added together is the winner! In this mode it is impossible to send weapons at your team mate (apart from the rock, if you send them in front of your alley it can still block them)

__DIFFICULTY: there are three CPU difficulty levels, it is best to start off with the easiest, which is, Forgiving. Once you have practised, you may wish to progress onto Intense, if you really get Big Headed, you can move onto NO MERCY mode!!!! I’ve tried it, they weren’t joking when they called it that!

__POWERUPS: This option is to turn on/off the powerups, although without these the game begins to get kinda boring! The powerups on the game are the best I have ever seen! They are:
BAD GAS: any vehicle where you throw this suffers a decrease in speed
INVINCLE: self explanatory
NITRO: speed boost
OIL SLICK: any vehicle running into this will loose control
SUPER TRACTION: better grip
TWISTER: The best powerup ever!!! You launch this, the sky goes dark, and a twister starts to race up the track, flinging up anything in its way (including cars!!)
BIG HIT: any other cars you bump into will go flying
SHOCKWAVE: sends a shockwave through the floor
JOKER: it can be good, it can be bad!
FREEZE: freezes a car and causes driver to loose ALL control of steering
BOMB: what do you think?
LANDSLIDE: rocks come tumbling down on anyone underneath
…Do you see what I mean now?? The option of sending some of these weapons backwards is also available by looking backwards (R1) and shooting

__HALL OF CHAMPS: Basically a hall of fame

__GAME OPTIONS: All the usual audio options (this game has Dolby, I wish my TV supported that, imagine the sound *drools all over keyboard*). You can set your player name here. Load and Save. You can clear all your records. And the Controller Config, all the usual stuff!

__SHOWCASE: here you can watch that wonderful opening screen again, or you can watch the best credits I have ever seen (instead of all the boring black screen e.t.c, it has a twister in the background and all the words come out from it, they then get blown away!)

So I shall conclude with, this game seems to be intended at everyone, it is fun, and has the racing game in there. One problem with this game is it is not very realistic, the turning doesn’t have much skid on it, if you want realism I would advise GT3 but, HEY, WHY NOT GET BOTH???

This is TOMUK signing off from his first ever review, thankyou and goodnight!
Sun 24/06/01 at 23:23
Regular
"Back For Good"
Reviews go in the REVIEW SECTION not here in the discussions, I'd copy and paste it there.
Mon 25/06/01 at 17:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
sorry, i didn't know there was review section :)
Mon 25/06/01 at 18:26
Regular
"Whatever!"
Im still undecided whether to get this ahead of Monkey Island + Onimusha!!
Mon 25/06/01 at 18:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
It depends what your favorite type of game is-i like the fun sort of games, so i will probably buy monkey island aswell but not Onimusha
Fri 29/06/01 at 17:22
Nice review? sure you haven't copied the manual out!!
Fri 29/06/01 at 21:29
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
hmmmmmmmmm... it was very tempting to copy out the manual, but i thought i better not!!
BTW any suggestions of how i could try to get a GAD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.