GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Portable machine by microsoft?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/08/04 at 17:10
Regular
"ProGolfer"
IS there going to be one? I mean sony and nintendo have two very good looking machines due for release, microsoft leaving this area? I mean the handheld market could get over crowded and not make commercial sense.
Thu 05/08/04 at 13:29
Regular
Fosbe wrote:
> Jumping to a bit of a conclusion there aint ya? Eeryone felt that of
> the xbox....

Everyone was aprehensive about the Xbox because it was the only threat that the PS2 had against it. Before the Xbox, Everyone only considered anything with a Sony Logo, and they figured nothing would beat the might of the Playstation franchise.

Nintendo was nothing to Sony, the Gamecube just plays games, and has it's own hardcore gamer fanbase to sell to. The Playstation was more mainstream, it had a DVD player and the prospect of Network play. With the Xbox promising similar and more powerful features, things were hotting up.

When MS entered the market with the Xbox, it wasn't exactly proving to be popular because people felt that it was no Playstation, they thought it was just a crappy attempt at throwing the PS2 off its throne, and many we're unsure if they should get one or not, considering that it's future is uncertain.

Obviously things are different today, the console is thriving with an ever growing fanbase of users.

Microsoft have their share of the console market secure, they are getting fans front right and center because the Xbox and its Xbox Live service is proving to be a fantastic product.

The handheld market is different however, Nintendo are dominating. You know why? Because they have dominated the handheld market for years with the ever increasing popularity of the GameBoy franchise. It's designed to do one thing; play games on the move. Nothing else.

Sony have their PSP coming along with milions of features and what not, it'll shift loads of units because of the popularity of the Playstation, the PSP will be the "cool" thing to be seen with.

Xbox Portable however, won't work.

Just have a look at the N-Gage and you'll see exactly why.
Thu 05/08/04 at 00:12
Regular
"ProGolfer"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Microsoft don't need a handheld.
>
> It'd be a total failure if they did.

Jumping to a bit of a conclusion there aint ya? Eeryone felt that of the xbox....
Mon 02/08/04 at 09:30
Regular
Microsoft don't need a handheld.

It'd be a total failure if they did.
Sun 01/08/04 at 22:20
"Its Your Pleasure"
I think xbox have put more money into dominating console online gaming. even if they did come out with a handheld eventually, now isnt the time.
Sun 01/08/04 at 20:15
Regular
"ProGolfer"
True, couldnt agree more. Besides could be better to build up a big customer base first. As Sony has done as i belive when they release there psp thousands will go out as they loved the ps2, they have built up the customer base and can take the chance to release a handheld. I mean if you were the top MD of sony and you had sold as many sony ps2's as they have compared to nintendos gc and microsofts xbox. Then you might feel quite confident releasing a handheld makes common sense. Especially as although nintendo have monopolised(sp?) the market they are losing customers, no denying it.

I belive eventually microsoft will release a handheld if they keep up the pace of customer expansion. I can see why microsoft are currently losing money but then there cash flow must be getting better. Where are the slaes of the big three consoles? Aint seen them in a while.
Sun 01/08/04 at 17:57
Regular
If I recall correctly, Microsoft are losing money per Xbox sold, and to enter a market where Nintendo have total dominance at the moment could damage Microsoft Games Studios quite substantially.

Microsoft have entered the games market with the Xbox in order to build up a customer fanbase ready for the next system. It is working with many people selling their inferior Playstation 2 systems in order to purchase an Xbox. Although Xbox are still neck and neck with GameCube in terms of sales, it is more of a success for Microsoft as they've gained all their customers whereas Nintendo are struggling to keep theirs.

Ofcourse games like Halo 2 and if it ever gets released, Perfect Dark Zero are going to make Microsoft a lot of money, and much of that will be to make up for console sales and to fund the next system.

To enter the handheld market would mean competing against Nintendo, who already own the handheld market and Sony who are bound to make an impact. To what degree is unknown as of yet, but they'll make an impact. If Microsoft now were to develop a machine that would be substancially different to make it worth buying as well as affordable for both themselves and the customer, then they would face a huge challenge and risk losing more money unneccesarily.

If they do enter the handheld market, I'd expect they'd want a much larger success than say, SNK's Neo Geo or the N-Gage which have only impacted Nintendo like a feather would a rock. Sony are Nintendo's biggest threat as Nintendo make the majority of their revenue through handheld sales. Sony have the largest console fanbase at the moment (though why is quite beyond my comprehension) and they will become a challenge to the handheld market.

And before anyone says how Microsoft can afford to make losses. Microsoft may be able to, but Microsoft Game Studios is only one part of Microsoft. If they make too much of a loss, then Microsoft will cut their funding and they'll either have to revert back to multiformat and PC game designing or stick to operating systems and PC software.
Sun 01/08/04 at 17:10
Regular
"ProGolfer"
IS there going to be one? I mean sony and nintendo have two very good looking machines due for release, microsoft leaving this area? I mean the handheld market could get over crowded and not make commercial sense.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.