GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can we have a scripting & tutorial forum"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/12/06 at 18:53
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Hello all,

May I dare to suggest that a specific scripting & tutorial forum is created in the new year so we websters may exchange information as to how to do 'stuff'. It seems to be working here so far.

I have read & now done the webcam - website feed entry tutorial as detailed by machie, which is great.

I am a self taught website creator, i don't know it all, so am always learning more day by day, this way we all learn more.

Happy Christmas all,
D7
Sat 30/12/06 at 23:36
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think at the moment, this particular forum is a little quite to split in to sections, though perhaps some sort of tag system could be put in place, so people can tag their thread as HTML, CSS. JavaScript etc, with these tags being at the top of the thread listings, allowing users to sort / show threads by their assigned tag(s).
Sun 24/12/06 at 00:31
Regular
Garin wrote:
> You posting alot more? Is that even possible? :P

Don't underestimate my powers Garin :D

> There is a fair point in there actually. Maybe its worth asking
> Freeola if the description can be amended so its more inclusive
> of design topics so new posters know it. Yet I dont think its
> much of an excuse for you. :) You're familiar with the place
> and the posters so you know who'll likely respond. What more do
> you need? I cant imagine how the forum title is crucial to the
> success of your topic. ;)

I dunno, I guess I'm use to having the Freeola/GAD threads seperate from the tech threads. When they're together something doesnt seem right and I feel I can't post threads about some things while Staffies are trying to help customers.

You remember what the old Staffies forum was like right? Try to imagine posting a thread about useful web design extensions for FireFox in there and it just doesnt seem right. You almost feel like you're getting in the staffies/customers way and you know how I don't like to bother people Garin =)
Sun 24/12/06 at 00:02
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Machie wrote:
> If I really did see this forum as a web design/master forum, I
> would be posting a lot more often.

You posting alot more? Is that even possible? :P

> Like earlier today I wanted
> to talk about google adsense, but then decided not to. Other
> times I wanted to talk about search engines and directories.
> Using robots.txt. How to use keywords effectively. Blogging.
> Understanding RSS. Affiliate programs (like Amazon). Using
> Paypal on your website. Well you get the idea :)

There is a fair point in there actually. Maybe its worth asking Freeola if the description can be amended so its more inclusive of design topics so new posters know it. Yet I dont think its much of an excuse for you. :) You're familiar with the place and the posters so you know who'll likely respond. What more do you need? I cant imagine how the forum title is crucial to the success of your topic. ;)
Sat 23/12/06 at 22:05
Regular
Yay! My webcam tutorial was a success ^^ shame I didn't get anything for it *sticks tongue out at Vexxxed* ;p but still I'm glad people found it useful and managed to get it working =D

Great idea Dan 777, Freeola always said about doing some kind of database for scripts but they've been so busy that I dont think they've had time. I suppose we could do it in a similiar way to the Review forum, which started slow but is now getting lots more reviews. =)

Here's how it might look.

[CSS] Creating Tabs
[Javascript] Pulldown Menus
[HTML] A beginners guide
[PHP] Display users time
[Perl] Poll script (logs IPs)

I can understand what Garin and Kev are saying. I like to keep things organised, I don't really like having tutorials in here because it's all cluttered with people wanting help or talking about something else. You need to have it so that people can find what they want without too much hassle.

This forum isnt like the PC, Web Design & Internet forum we once had. Actually I (and others) kinda see it as Freeola's Customer Service forum. You come in here when you have a problem with something Freeola/GAD related. I do post in some threads like the "Machie/CSS help" threads, but it's because that's where I'll find Garin, cjh and Hmmm =)

If I really did see this forum as a web design/master forum, I would be posting a lot more often. Like earlier today I wanted to talk about google adsense, but then decided not to. Other times I wanted to talk about search engines and directories. Using robots.txt. How to use keywords effectively. Blogging. Understanding RSS. Affiliate programs (like Amazon). Using Paypal on your website. Well you get the idea :)

I guess all the customer service type threads put me off a little, so who knows maybe one day they'll go back to having a seperate Customer Service forum. I kinda liked the last one anyway, atleast they wont have to put up with "umm yeah, when are you going to be updating the GAD winners list?" anymore :D
Sat 23/12/06 at 21:32
Regular
I remember them saying that a while ago Garin about the knowledge base, its time you were on "Staff" you will need to remind them after the Xmas and New Year holiday - totally agree with what you say about the regular poster etc.

Kev
Sat 23/12/06 at 21:02
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think additional web related forums would be a bit premature. This one isnt exactly thriving with life. The number of regular posters is probably in single figures still. And all adding more forums does is dilute content across several areas thus making things look even more empty.

As far as tutorials are concerned, Freeola did have the intention to collect those posted into a knowledge base. Not sure if thats still their intent.
Sat 23/12/06 at 20:48
Regular
Hi Dan

Am sure you can apply to create a new forum but would it not just be a double up of this one? after all its roughly the same idea both your idea and this are for web development? I am all for sharing knowledge on the forums all go with the flow am easy here or a new forum either way is good.

Kev
Sat 23/12/06 at 18:53
Regular
"1 up on the DEVIL"
Hello all,

May I dare to suggest that a specific scripting & tutorial forum is created in the new year so we websters may exchange information as to how to do 'stuff'. It seems to be working here so far.

I have read & now done the webcam - website feed entry tutorial as detailed by machie, which is great.

I am a self taught website creator, i don't know it all, so am always learning more day by day, this way we all learn more.

Happy Christmas all,
D7

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.