GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Faulty Discs.. what-a-te-do?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/12/06 at 18:37
Regular
Basically my copy of San Andreas has been playing up, not letting loading work properly. If the game actually manages to load itself then it crashes the second I go into a building, which isn't exactly helpful.

Likewise, my copy of Tony Hawks 4, that I don't play anymore but would quite like to sell has a scratch, and so acts up on the create-a-skater and a couple of missions.

So, is it more cost effective for me to simply just buy a new copy of San Andreas off eBay, as they're about a tenner each, or go for the 'DVD Doctor' that retails at about £10-20 but should repair the discs.

The pros of having the DVD Doctor are that I can repair other faulty discs, have it as a fail-safe in the future, and I'm not simply wasting money on re-buying a game.. the cons though are will it be easy to use, how much am I gonna have to fork out for it, and how many discs will the supplied 'fluid' repair.

All suggestions appreciated.
Sun 24/12/06 at 19:32
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Aftershave, or some sort of beer usually works, or I have a 5 euro disc cleaner which helps.

And on that Tony Hawk game, if you want to sell it to a shop they'll take it, and really while selling on Ebay or anything......
Sat 23/12/06 at 21:32
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
You scratch the shiny side of your disc all you want, it's still usually repairable because the data is stored close to the label side of the disc. Conversely, if the label itself is scratched, you're probably looking at a hopeless case.

I use use Wipe-Out fluid on any scratched discs (I think it's mail order only, never seen it in the shops and it's very hard to get hold of) and it works fine. The major cause of my scratched discs always seems to be when being played in a vertical console they can bounce around on the laser. Ever since I worked that one out I've laid my consoles horizontal - no more scratched discs.

If you Google "Wipe Out CD repair kit" you'll probably find a stockist, usually an obscure website you've never heard of. Should cost around a tenner per bottle which will last you around 20 discs.
Sat 23/12/06 at 20:50
Regular
"Forum Tweener"
Are you 100% sure it's not a problem with your console? Mine would usually load scratched discs no problem...
Sat 23/12/06 at 18:47
Regular
Aye, I usually do that and I have done several times on both. This time though, after looking over the discs a few times, it really is a scratch - slightly deeper than a hairline :(
Sat 23/12/06 at 18:44
Regular
"8==="
I just wash 'em and/or brush them up a bit.

Fixed a rental last week doing that and a 2nd-hand title only yesterday.
Sat 23/12/06 at 18:37
Regular
Basically my copy of San Andreas has been playing up, not letting loading work properly. If the game actually manages to load itself then it crashes the second I go into a building, which isn't exactly helpful.

Likewise, my copy of Tony Hawks 4, that I don't play anymore but would quite like to sell has a scratch, and so acts up on the create-a-skater and a couple of missions.

So, is it more cost effective for me to simply just buy a new copy of San Andreas off eBay, as they're about a tenner each, or go for the 'DVD Doctor' that retails at about £10-20 but should repair the discs.

The pros of having the DVD Doctor are that I can repair other faulty discs, have it as a fail-safe in the future, and I'm not simply wasting money on re-buying a game.. the cons though are will it be easy to use, how much am I gonna have to fork out for it, and how many discs will the supplied 'fluid' repair.

All suggestions appreciated.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.