GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Thief 3, My Review"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Thu 05/08/04 at 16:22
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Firstly why I'm posting it in here rather than as an actual review: Well I was writing it and I kinda forgot about the character limit SR has on it and so I went over it by quite a lot with out realising. I tried to shorten it, but in my opinion it sounds better whole. So.. erm.. here it is, I would have liked to enter it in the reviews and for gameaday, but due to said reasons I couldn't. So if you want to make any comments feel free. Be kind. :-)

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows’ Review

By Silent Thunder

Sneaking through the shadows of streets, homes, prisons and the unknown. Not quite knowing what will come face to face with you next. Quietly slipping through the darkness, drawing out your knife and cutting a purse string, promptly dropping to the floor you pick it up and remove the contents, another piece of loot to add to your ever growing collection. You’ll sell it later perhaps. Yes, you know what’s back: Thief.

Yep the daddy of stealth is back. Now you may think stealth, well yes it’s good for a while, but I don’t think I could ever complete a whole game by just using stealth tactics. As after all this would be boring and extremely tedious especially when the game is as big as Thief 3 is. Well force that line of thought out of your mind Thief has one of the best reputations for being a stealthy game, but obviously it wouldn’t have so many fans if it were just entirely stealth. Oh no, it’s more, much, much more. With an equal balance of full action and stealth you will be occupied for hours. With easy controls Thief 3 really is a pleasure play.

Unlike its predecessor, Thief 2, this game isn’t just limited to guards that don’t seem to notice the most obvious things such as doors left wide open, pieces of treasure that have obviously been taken. No, Thief 3’s AI has vastly improved and provides one of the many great challenges in the game, you’ll think twice about leaving that door wide open as the guards will now actually investigate and if really suspicious they will search for anything else out of place. This in its self is stunning and is one of the main elements in the game that make it so great, but to walk round the corner and see two guards playing chess, actually moving pieces, while sipping some fine ale and talking is just outstanding!

This takes me on to another point: the realism of the game. With a good mixture of intelligent AI who stage conversations whilst shivering in the night’s cold air and detailed graphics and fantastic backgrounds such as the night sky, Thief 3 really does make you feel right inside the game. Something that Thief 2 missed out on were sounds actually relevant to where you were in the game. I mean come on, to be honest I don’t really think it’s appropriate to hear the chorus of a blackbird’s song whilst in the middle of a bank vault. Thief 3 has got it spot on though, if you are at one of the many locations in Thief 3’s giant City you are guaranteed a perfect sound to accompany it. In the docks you will hear the water, obviously, a ship’s bell and numerous other sounds you would hear in such a place.

If you think that killing is wrong in a game, but you are quite happy to steal as long as nobody gets hurt then Thief is ideal for you. It isn’t all about action packed killings all the way, although if you so wish you can go down this route, it’s more about how stealthy you can be and how much loot you can retrieve from many locations around the vast City.

Finally I have yet to mention the plot or story line that strings the whole game together. Many great games have a simple but strong story that keeps you interested and hooked and Thief is no exception. The story is quite easy to follow and if you ever get lost in it there are always handy hints and tips a long the way. Although I did feel the plot did diverse at times overall it was easier enough to follow and made sense through out. There is a main story in the game, but there is absolutely nothing to say you have to follow it! There are loads of separate mini-missions all the way through the game, where you can work for who ever you want, or alternately you could work for yourself. Overall it's a great game and shouldn't be over looked.

Edit - I would have given it a ten.

Thanks for reading.. if you did. ;-)
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 05/08/04 at 16:22
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
Firstly why I'm posting it in here rather than as an actual review: Well I was writing it and I kinda forgot about the character limit SR has on it and so I went over it by quite a lot with out realising. I tried to shorten it, but in my opinion it sounds better whole. So.. erm.. here it is, I would have liked to enter it in the reviews and for gameaday, but due to said reasons I couldn't. So if you want to make any comments feel free. Be kind. :-)

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows’ Review

By Silent Thunder

Sneaking through the shadows of streets, homes, prisons and the unknown. Not quite knowing what will come face to face with you next. Quietly slipping through the darkness, drawing out your knife and cutting a purse string, promptly dropping to the floor you pick it up and remove the contents, another piece of loot to add to your ever growing collection. You’ll sell it later perhaps. Yes, you know what’s back: Thief.

Yep the daddy of stealth is back. Now you may think stealth, well yes it’s good for a while, but I don’t think I could ever complete a whole game by just using stealth tactics. As after all this would be boring and extremely tedious especially when the game is as big as Thief 3 is. Well force that line of thought out of your mind Thief has one of the best reputations for being a stealthy game, but obviously it wouldn’t have so many fans if it were just entirely stealth. Oh no, it’s more, much, much more. With an equal balance of full action and stealth you will be occupied for hours. With easy controls Thief 3 really is a pleasure play.

Unlike its predecessor, Thief 2, this game isn’t just limited to guards that don’t seem to notice the most obvious things such as doors left wide open, pieces of treasure that have obviously been taken. No, Thief 3’s AI has vastly improved and provides one of the many great challenges in the game, you’ll think twice about leaving that door wide open as the guards will now actually investigate and if really suspicious they will search for anything else out of place. This in its self is stunning and is one of the main elements in the game that make it so great, but to walk round the corner and see two guards playing chess, actually moving pieces, while sipping some fine ale and talking is just outstanding!

This takes me on to another point: the realism of the game. With a good mixture of intelligent AI who stage conversations whilst shivering in the night’s cold air and detailed graphics and fantastic backgrounds such as the night sky, Thief 3 really does make you feel right inside the game. Something that Thief 2 missed out on were sounds actually relevant to where you were in the game. I mean come on, to be honest I don’t really think it’s appropriate to hear the chorus of a blackbird’s song whilst in the middle of a bank vault. Thief 3 has got it spot on though, if you are at one of the many locations in Thief 3’s giant City you are guaranteed a perfect sound to accompany it. In the docks you will hear the water, obviously, a ship’s bell and numerous other sounds you would hear in such a place.

If you think that killing is wrong in a game, but you are quite happy to steal as long as nobody gets hurt then Thief is ideal for you. It isn’t all about action packed killings all the way, although if you so wish you can go down this route, it’s more about how stealthy you can be and how much loot you can retrieve from many locations around the vast City.

Finally I have yet to mention the plot or story line that strings the whole game together. Many great games have a simple but strong story that keeps you interested and hooked and Thief is no exception. The story is quite easy to follow and if you ever get lost in it there are always handy hints and tips a long the way. Although I did feel the plot did diverse at times overall it was easier enough to follow and made sense through out. There is a main story in the game, but there is absolutely nothing to say you have to follow it! There are loads of separate mini-missions all the way through the game, where you can work for who ever you want, or alternately you could work for yourself. Overall it's a great game and shouldn't be over looked.

Edit - I would have given it a ten.

Thanks for reading.. if you did. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.