GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Year 2038 problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/06/01 at 16:06
Regular
Remember back in 1999 all the fuss about the so called year 2000 problem (Millennium Bug) it was hyped up in the media and probably everyone who owns a PC knew about it (I had to do my Higher Computing investigation on it).

Well will this happen again. The first date that could cause problems is 2038. This will affect the programming language C (which was mostly immune to the Y2K problem) The problem comes about as most C programs use a library of routines called the standard time library. This library establishes a standard 4-bytes format for the storage of time valus, and it also provides a number of functions that are used to convert, display and calculate time values.

Using a signed 4-byte integer gives you a maximum value of 2,147,483,647 and this is where the problem comes from. this is the maximum value of time before it rolls over to a negative value( You can't get negative time so this causes the problem). The value 2,147,483,647 translates into 19th Jan 2038. This is where most C programs which use the standard date library will start to have problems with date calculations.
This problem is quite easy to fix so don't worry if you feel this could effect you. All that is required is to compile your program with a newer version of the library that uses more than 4-bytes (It will probably be 8-bytes).

There are a few more dates which can cause problems:
IBM PC hardware suffers from the year 2116 problem.
Windows NT suffers from the year 2184 problem.
The safe one seems to be the mac. It only knowinglysuffers from the year 29 940 problem
most of us probably wont be around to experience these problems if they even cause serious problems. The way technology advances they will probably sort these problems out long before they come around.
Sat 23/06/01 at 16:06
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Remember back in 1999 all the fuss about the so called year 2000 problem (Millennium Bug) it was hyped up in the media and probably everyone who owns a PC knew about it (I had to do my Higher Computing investigation on it).

Well will this happen again. The first date that could cause problems is 2038. This will affect the programming language C (which was mostly immune to the Y2K problem) The problem comes about as most C programs use a library of routines called the standard time library. This library establishes a standard 4-bytes format for the storage of time valus, and it also provides a number of functions that are used to convert, display and calculate time values.

Using a signed 4-byte integer gives you a maximum value of 2,147,483,647 and this is where the problem comes from. this is the maximum value of time before it rolls over to a negative value( You can't get negative time so this causes the problem). The value 2,147,483,647 translates into 19th Jan 2038. This is where most C programs which use the standard date library will start to have problems with date calculations.
This problem is quite easy to fix so don't worry if you feel this could effect you. All that is required is to compile your program with a newer version of the library that uses more than 4-bytes (It will probably be 8-bytes).

There are a few more dates which can cause problems:
IBM PC hardware suffers from the year 2116 problem.
Windows NT suffers from the year 2184 problem.
The safe one seems to be the mac. It only knowinglysuffers from the year 29 940 problem
most of us probably wont be around to experience these problems if they even cause serious problems. The way technology advances they will probably sort these problems out long before they come around.
Mon 25/06/01 at 12:35
Regular
As you have stated, technology is changeing so fast. The NT problem will happen in 100 years or so by which time I expect Microsoft will have outlawed the use of old software.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.