GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 - What We Expected?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/04/00 at 12:35
Regular
I dont't know about you but I can't wait for the UK release of the PS2 because I think that it sounds like a great console that is well worth forking out for this slightly over expensive piese of kit. However, I've heard reports that the system is acctually not all it's cracked up to be; the games aren't acctually that much better or different that the PSX's and the playback on the DVD is not very good at all! when playing a DVD movie, it suffers from crashes and bad playback - Not quite the middle of the range normal DVD playback quality promised by Sony themselves! According to reviews and reports, Ridge Racer 5 is not all that different to the PSX's Ridge Racer Type 4. Doesn't sound promicing does it?! So, what we have to ask ourselves is, is this new console worth bothering about if the games are only a very small improvement on the games of today, and the DVD playback is not all it's cracked up to be? Well I think yes. We should be bothered with it because I'm sure that when programmers learn how to utalise all of the PS2's potential, the games will be revolutionary and the best we've ever seen, changing the way we think about games. I hope that my optimism is not in vain, but if it is - Tut tut Sony, we expected better!
Wed 26/04/00 at 12:35
I dont't know about you but I can't wait for the UK release of the PS2 because I think that it sounds like a great console that is well worth forking out for this slightly over expensive piese of kit. However, I've heard reports that the system is acctually not all it's cracked up to be; the games aren't acctually that much better or different that the PSX's and the playback on the DVD is not very good at all! when playing a DVD movie, it suffers from crashes and bad playback - Not quite the middle of the range normal DVD playback quality promised by Sony themselves! According to reviews and reports, Ridge Racer 5 is not all that different to the PSX's Ridge Racer Type 4. Doesn't sound promicing does it?! So, what we have to ask ourselves is, is this new console worth bothering about if the games are only a very small improvement on the games of today, and the DVD playback is not all it's cracked up to be? Well I think yes. We should be bothered with it because I'm sure that when programmers learn how to utalise all of the PS2's potential, the games will be revolutionary and the best we've ever seen, changing the way we think about games. I hope that my optimism is not in vain, but if it is - Tut tut Sony, we expected better!
Sat 06/05/00 at 22:09
Finally someone who's not dissing the PS2 because they hate Sony! I don't love Sony (I have a DC, so it would be immoral!), but I think everyone's dissing the console too much just because they're scared of what could happen if the PS2 dominated the market like the original PS did. I've heard that PS2 games look like DC games on the whole. Most actually look worse, but that's only because programmers are taking their sweet time to learn the ropes - it's common knowledge that the PS2 is hard to program games for because of its "unique" design. The PS2 has some weaknesses that the DC does not, such as half the video RAM (aargh!) and no full-scene anti-aliasing, but this shouldn't matter because it has lots of strengths too: a faster processor, the Emotion Engine, a DVD drive.... Edge magazine seems to think that the PS2 is only using half its power at present (there are some exceptions, of course, like Namco's games), since developers have chosen to use middleware, which reduces the polygon count. I have a DC myself and I am not getting a PS2 for the simple reason that it's expensive and performs no better than the DC - so why bother? If and when the PS2 ever realises its full potential like Sony claim it will, then we can all buy one. By that time there will probably be a price drop. For all we know, the Dolphin or X-Box could be launched before Sony's machine ever realises its "full potential", but at least it can match the DC for now in terms of performance.

Alex wrote:
> I dont't know about you but I can't wait for the UK release of the
> PS2 because I think that it sounds like a great console that is
> well worth forking out for this slightly over expensive piese of
> kit. However, I've heard reports that the system is acctually not
> all it's cracked up to be; the games aren't acctually that much
> better or different that the PSX's and the playback on the DVD is
> not very good at all! when playing a DVD movie, it suffers from
> crashes and bad playback - Not quite the middle of the range
> normal DVD playback quality promised by Sony themselves! According
> to reviews and reports, Ridge Racer 5 is not all that different to
> the PSX's Ridge Racer Type 4. Doesn't sound promicing does it?!
> So, what we have to ask ourselves is, is this new console worth
> bothering about if the games are only a very small improvement on
> the games of today, and the DVD playback is not all it's cracked
> up to be? Well I think yes. We should be bothered with it because
> I'm sure that when programmers learn how to utalise all of the
> PS2's potential, the games will be revolutionary and the best
> we've ever seen, changing the way we think about games. I hope
> that my optimism is not in vain, but if it is - Tut tut Sony, we
> expected better!
Sun 07/05/00 at 14:04
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I don't think many people care who dominates the market of consoles, because whatever people buy they will more than likely swap or sell it for the next best thing on the shelves of your local computor shop.
Sony couldn't make profit without sega and they couldn't make any money without any other manufacturer.
Mon 08/05/00 at 18:01
>yeah but psx did suceed in making one brilliant game that i worship 'GranTourismo2'
Tue 09/05/00 at 23:02
> Finally someone who's not dissing the PS2 because they hate Sony!
> I don't love Sony (I have a DC, so it would be immoral!), but I
> think everyone's dissing the console too much just because they're
> scared of what could happen if the PS2 dominated the market like
> the original PS did.

Aye the domination of the PSX over all other consoles really limited the market for a while, but then, the PSX was a fantastic machine and still is.

> I've heard that PS2 games look like DC games
> on the whole. Most actually look worse, but that's only because
> programmers are taking their sweet time to learn the ropes - it's
> common knowledge that the PS2 is hard to program games for because
> of its "unique" design.

Aye, the PS2 is a whole new boardgame, and unfortunately does not have the added advantage of Windows CE that the DC uses. But this will be overcome, and you can guarantee that games in the future will be much more impressive. Just look at the games being released now for the PSX, very impressive considering the console they run on. The programmers and game designers need to get on board thats all, i mean the console isn't even widely available yet, give them a chance :-)

> The PS2 has some weaknesses that the DC
> does not, such as half the video RAM (aargh!) and no full-scene
> anti-aliasing, but this shouldn't matter because it has lots of
> strengths too: a faster processor, the Emotion Engine, a DVD
> drive.... Edge magazine seems to think that the PS2 is only using
> half its power at present (there are some exceptions, of course,
> like Namco's games), since developers have chosen to use
> middleware, which reduces the polygon count.

Yes the console does have some drawbacks, but that faster processor will be the real killer of the DC. In the end, it doesn't matter what graphics card the units have (they're all roughly the same anyway) it's the processing power thats behind them that matters. However full screen Anti-Aliasing is a major advantage, especially considering that consoles run on televisions which are low resolution anyway. However Fullscreen AA on a DC is not going to be particularly nice as the processor will struggle to keep up.

> I have a DC myself
> and I am not getting a PS2 for the simple reason that it's
> expensive and performs no better than the DC - so why bother? If
> and when the PS2 ever realises its full potential like Sony claim
> it will, then we can all buy one. By that time there will probably
> be a price drop. For all we know, the Dolphin or X-Box could be
> launched before Sony's machine ever realises its "full potential",
> but at least it can match the DC for now in terms of performance.

Personally i would also wait for the X-Box, as much as i hate Microsoft for their awful operating systems, the idea of a GeForce 2 based card in a console, with 600mhz processor behind it is quite impressive. I would expect some very intricate games from that console, and with the backing of Microsoft it should have an amazing software base as well as having good compatability with PC software.

The X-Box will be an interesting thing to see, but it will need to be timed right. If it's release is too far after that PS2 then i think it will have major problems, but if it comes in a few months after i think it will be a very impressive newcomer.
Wed 17/05/00 at 12:05
Rhetoric question sent out in all directions:

Have Sony ever given us bad products? Answer (for the uninitiated), NO.

Therefore, I suggest that people stop grumbling and acting gullible to all the "he-said she-said" that's floating around the streets. All the other gaming consoles have been given a chance but they're yet to match up to Sony's original PSX, which then was only a 32-bit.

As per the DVD capability, it's an additional feature that adds on to your home entertainment, pretty much like the PSX's ability to play CDs. The fact that it's DVD isn't top of the range shouldn't be a target for scorn because the PS2 serves its primary function as a games console. Nobody went nagging about the original PSX's inability to perform outstanding CD functions - certainly because its sole purpose was as a gaming console.

Bottom-line, Sony are back to set the standards and they have a very strong statement to make.
Wed 07/06/00 at 18:16
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
How many times do you have to tell someone????
THE EMOTION ENGINE IS ONLY THE NAME OF THE PROCESSOR IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH EMOTIONS.....

And with only half the video RAM the extra 100mhz of speed is no good, the maximum it can run at is 250mhz
Wed 07/06/00 at 18:18
You arent very smart are you?
The programmers arent going to reach the potential for these reasons

1) The PS2 is a B*****d to program for and whatever takes 2 months on the Dreamcast takes a FULL YEAR on the PS2!
2) They can not reach their limit because the 4MB video RAM will not allow them to...
3) The fact is not getting used to the PS2, it will always be hard to program for, no matter how many times you do it.
4) Most programmers have plans or have already moved to the DC because they can do things a lot easier and faster...
Sat 29/07/00 at 16:08
Steven Bailey wrote:
> Finally someone who's not dissing the PS2 because they hate Sony!
> I don't love Sony (I have a DC, so it would be immoral!), but I
> think everyone's dissing the console too much just because they're
> scared of what could happen if the PS2 dominated the market like
> the original PS did. I've heard that PS2 games look like DC games
> on the whole. Most actually look worse, but that's only because
> programmers are taking their sweet time to learn the ropes - it's
> common knowledge that the PS2 is hard to program games for because
> of its "unique" design. The PS2 has some weaknesses that the DC
> does not, such as half the video RAM (aargh!) and no full-scene
> anti-aliasing, but this shouldn't matter because it has lots of
> strengths too: a faster processor, the Emotion Engine, a DVD
> drive.... Edge magazine seems to think that the PS2 is only using
> half its power at present (there are some exceptions, of cousse,
> like Namco's games), since developers have chosen to use
> middleware, which reduces the polygon count. I have a DC myself
> and I am not getting a PS2 for the simple reason that it's
> expensive and performs no better than the DC - so why bother? If
> and when the PS2 ever realises its full potential like Sony claim
> it will, then we can all buy one. By that time there will probably
> be a price drop. For all we know, the Dolphin or X-Box could be
> launched before Sony's machine ever realises its "full potential",
> but at least it can match the DC for now in terms of performance.
>
> Alex wrote:
> > I dont't know about you but I can't wait for the UK release of
> the
> > PS2 because I think that it sounds like a great console that is
> > well worth forking out for this slightly over expensive piese of
> > kit. However, I've heard reports that the system is acctually not
> > all it's cracked up to be; the games aren't acctually that much
> > better or different that the PSX's and the playback on the DVD is
> > not very good at all! when playing a DVD movie, it suffers from
> > crashes and bad playback - Not quite the middle of the range
> > normal DVD playback quality promised by Sony themselves!
> According
> > to reviews and reports, Ridge Racer 5 is not all that different
> to
> > the PSX's Ridge Racer Type 4. Doesn't sound promicing does it?!
> > So, what we have to ask ourselves is, is this new console worth
> > bothering about if the games are only a very small improvement on
> > the games of today, and the DVD playback is not all it's cracked
> > up to be? Well I think yes. We should be bothered with it because
> > I'm sure that when programmers learn how to utalise all of the
> > PS2's potential, the games will be revolutionary and the best
> > we've ever seen, changing the way we think about games. I hope
> > that my optimism is not in vain, but if it is - Tut tut Sony, we
> > expected better!
> > from T.Bone: My farther said he was going to get me a playstaion 2
but is On Sale /10/26/00/ but can not wait that long I want It Now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.