GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unbelievable"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/08/04 at 17:56
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
OK, here's the deal:
I got my PS2 pre-ordered (for obvious reasons), had it for about 2 years, no problems, then all of a sudden it starts behaving strangely, not loading instantly like it usually did. As this became more frequent I noticed a pattern in sound of the machine struggling to load the disc. It took about 30 seconds longer to load the game, so I didn't think it was much of a problem, but as time went by the problem got worse, up to the point of complete irritation and annoyance everytime I wanted to play. I rang the helpline, told them of the problem, and they told me about hoovering the vents and all that, and using a lens cleaner. I did all that, it helped, but it didn't solve much because the machine was so bad that everytime I wanted to play it meant using the miffing cd lens cleaner, which takes even more time. Then I resorted to cd cleaners, even though the same problem was occuring with brand new games, because I held on to whatever faith was left that everything would turn around and my beloved PS2, which I hurriedly pre-ordered would function as it did initially.
But it didn't so I rang the helpline again, told them everything that had happened up till now, expecting to be given a straight swap for what I've had to put up with and they tell me that the best they can do is to issue a £60 replacement - because money does grow on trees. When I asked why, they told me about my warranty running out bla bla bla, but I still felt a bit done by considering all the efforts I had gone through to solve everything. I would've used my years warranty and even extended it if I didn't trust Sony so much.
£60's not too bad and I was pretty desperate so I paid it. Knock knock, man at the door... nope it wasn't that quick. There was me trying to get the replacement as fast as I could, packing my PS2 into its blue box and packing that with the check into a spare cardboard box that took ages to find, heading down to the post office and paying extra for special delivery (which came to about £15) and then having to wait an extra week and a half to be told that the swap would be made with a courrier at the door. Why didn't they tell me that on the phone or are all their helpline assistants trained to assume that everybody knows such a procedure. So I had to wait another week for the courrier to come. We did the swap and as truthful as I am I told him that the pad wasn't part of the deal, but to be honest I wish I took it now.
As peeved as I was about this whole shabang I managed to accept it. That is until now. EXACTLY the same thing has happened, about an hour ago now. The same sound patterns and loading errors and I seriously can't believe it. What do you have to do these days to play on Pro Evo 3? I really cannot believe it. I rang them up, they told me exactly the same thing, the same sorry apologies and excuses, all leaving me in regret. I would've waited if I knew they were going to bring out models that actually worked for more than a year or two, instead of blowing away over £200. I might as well have thrown it in a pan with a bottle's worth of oil and fried it. It's only now I know what the problem is after having to investigate.
You should know that the SCPH-30003 models were the first to hit the UK and with them came the blue underneath cds, in other words the non-dvd cds we have now. In other words, the ones that 99.9% of developers are using for their games. So to translate further, this should mean that most of us who rushed to prove our loyalty and like for the Playstation and got the earlies have well and truly been shafted, because according to my calculations and the law of averages we will al eventually have to buy the newer models if yours hasn't nacked already. I now have to prance into my back garden and pluck £130 from the magical money-growing tree you get when you join a new branch for a brand new PS2 because there is no way I'm paying for another replacement, especially after they tell me that the same model will be returned, and also after admitting they are aware of the problem most people with these models are having.
So this was Sony's secret marketing ploy from the beginning? Shaft their most loyal fans and treat their newcomers. Now I know what Jeremy Clarkson was on about in the BT ad. Maybe I should rewrite the dictionaries and get my hundred and thirty quid from that because this has to be a true and legitimate definition of bull****.
Mon 16/08/04 at 18:44
Regular
PS2s are a nightmare. Every single person I know has had to get theirs fixed, or replaced - and most of them had to shell out for it too.

Sony were on Watchdog about it. If you ask me, it's a trick to get more money and sales.
Mon 16/08/04 at 16:07
Regular
"ProGolfer"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Darwock wrote:
> I can't believe some people have been through 3 PS2s!!
>
> You and me both!
>
>
> What the hell do you do to them?
>
> Makes you wonder.

Maybe people do actually "love" there PS2's?
Sat 14/08/04 at 15:58
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Some people just change as soon as they get problems.
Sat 14/08/04 at 13:42
"High polygon count"
Darwock wrote:
> I can't believe some people have been through 3 PS2s!!

You and me both!

> What the hell do you do to them?

Makes you wonder.
Fri 13/08/04 at 22:21
If you live in Glasgow, the G-Force outside Central sells them for £50.
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:16
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Prove it. Please. I want a GC.
Fri 13/08/04 at 17:15
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Heh, sorry. It was the Index offer, you can probably get it for £40 still somewhere...
Fri 13/08/04 at 14:16
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Still waiting to hear where you can get one for £40...?
Thu 12/08/04 at 11:49
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Just a normal cube? 40 quid quite a lot then
Thu 12/08/04 at 11:21
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
£40 for a cube... pshhht. I presume you're referring to the Index offer, which they never had any stock of in the first place? If the deal is elsewhere, please let us know ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.