GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming=Rollercoaster"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/06/01 at 18:47
Regular
I think gaming is like going on a rollercoaster.

There are many different examples of this, and I'm going to give you some of them.

When console gaming first started with just Nintendo and Sega (I think), it was quite small. Compared to today, consoles were extremely poor. The graphics were nothing compared to today, gameplay was small, short and I suppose you could say repetitive, and there wasn't much variety.

But still, these consoles were quite popular with many people. But still, many people dismissed the idea, and it never really grew really big. This reminds of the start of a rollercoaster (or any other big, fast, fun theme park ride), as it's building up to the big drop. It's slowly moving upwards, and people begin to get more excited.

Then the companies upped their game. New, improved consoles were brought, and gaming became a lot more popular. And when Nintendo brought out the sensational GameBoy, people went wild for it. This is the top of a rollercoaster. People are very excited, and the little carriages have reached their peak.

Then, the big drop. Okay, so consoles didn't exactly become really bad, or sales didn't drop all of a sudden, but people began to get less excited about gaming. Especially with the release of the Saturn, which was to put it mildly, a little disappointing.

Then, we go upwards again. Sony came along, bringing with them the PlayStation. With so much advertising, and the fact that it was one of the most powerful consoles at the time (before the N64 came out), PlayStation's were being sold by the million. Everyone (apart from the loyal Nintendo and Sega fans) seemed to want them. With classic games such as Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo 2, there was no way Sony were going to fail.
Gaming became the latest craze.

And still, the rollercoaster travels upwards. The N64 is released, pleasing many Ninty fans. It brought out class games such as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (possibly the best multiplayer games ever), and also brought out some superb platformers, such as the old favourite Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie and now Conker.

Then, the rollercoaster seems to level out. Gaming is still doing ver well, but nothing special happens for a short while. Then Sega release their first console since the Saturn, the Dreamcast. People weren't too sure about the Dreamcast, mostly thanks to the Saturn's reputation. But it still sold pretty well, and when superb games such as Shenmue, Metropolis Street Racer and Virtua Tennis were brought out, the Dreamcast was classed as a success.

Everyone began to get very excited. The sequel to the PSOne, the PS2 was to be released. The rollercoaster seemed to drop. It was announced as an expensive £300, and there were problems. The pre-order fiasco, and when it was finally released, the lack of games.

But up went the rollercoaster again, with games such as Zone Of The Enders, Star Wars: StarFighter and now Red Faction and Extermination being released.

The rollercoaster traveled upwards even more, as some awesome shots of the GameCube were released at the E3, along with some great PS2 news (MGS2, Smackdown 3, Devil May Cry, GT3 etc)) Even Bill Gates' new venture, the X-Box, seemed to make an impression at E3.

So what now? Will the GameCube and X-Box both be brilliant, and will the rollercoaster reach it's highest yet?? Or will they both fail- and will the rollercoaster suddenly drop?? Perhaps it will level out, with one doing better than the other. Who knows?? Well, God perhaps, and maybe even Cassandra from Red Dward VIII, but apart from then, no one.
I guess it's up to you...

Thanks, Rumple.
Fri 22/06/01 at 18:47
I think gaming is like going on a rollercoaster.

There are many different examples of this, and I'm going to give you some of them.

When console gaming first started with just Nintendo and Sega (I think), it was quite small. Compared to today, consoles were extremely poor. The graphics were nothing compared to today, gameplay was small, short and I suppose you could say repetitive, and there wasn't much variety.

But still, these consoles were quite popular with many people. But still, many people dismissed the idea, and it never really grew really big. This reminds of the start of a rollercoaster (or any other big, fast, fun theme park ride), as it's building up to the big drop. It's slowly moving upwards, and people begin to get more excited.

Then the companies upped their game. New, improved consoles were brought, and gaming became a lot more popular. And when Nintendo brought out the sensational GameBoy, people went wild for it. This is the top of a rollercoaster. People are very excited, and the little carriages have reached their peak.

Then, the big drop. Okay, so consoles didn't exactly become really bad, or sales didn't drop all of a sudden, but people began to get less excited about gaming. Especially with the release of the Saturn, which was to put it mildly, a little disappointing.

Then, we go upwards again. Sony came along, bringing with them the PlayStation. With so much advertising, and the fact that it was one of the most powerful consoles at the time (before the N64 came out), PlayStation's were being sold by the million. Everyone (apart from the loyal Nintendo and Sega fans) seemed to want them. With classic games such as Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo 2, there was no way Sony were going to fail.
Gaming became the latest craze.

And still, the rollercoaster travels upwards. The N64 is released, pleasing many Ninty fans. It brought out class games such as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (possibly the best multiplayer games ever), and also brought out some superb platformers, such as the old favourite Mario, Donkey Kong, Banjo Kazooie and now Conker.

Then, the rollercoaster seems to level out. Gaming is still doing ver well, but nothing special happens for a short while. Then Sega release their first console since the Saturn, the Dreamcast. People weren't too sure about the Dreamcast, mostly thanks to the Saturn's reputation. But it still sold pretty well, and when superb games such as Shenmue, Metropolis Street Racer and Virtua Tennis were brought out, the Dreamcast was classed as a success.

Everyone began to get very excited. The sequel to the PSOne, the PS2 was to be released. The rollercoaster seemed to drop. It was announced as an expensive £300, and there were problems. The pre-order fiasco, and when it was finally released, the lack of games.

But up went the rollercoaster again, with games such as Zone Of The Enders, Star Wars: StarFighter and now Red Faction and Extermination being released.

The rollercoaster traveled upwards even more, as some awesome shots of the GameCube were released at the E3, along with some great PS2 news (MGS2, Smackdown 3, Devil May Cry, GT3 etc)) Even Bill Gates' new venture, the X-Box, seemed to make an impression at E3.

So what now? Will the GameCube and X-Box both be brilliant, and will the rollercoaster reach it's highest yet?? Or will they both fail- and will the rollercoaster suddenly drop?? Perhaps it will level out, with one doing better than the other. Who knows?? Well, God perhaps, and maybe even Cassandra from Red Dward VIII, but apart from then, no one.
I guess it's up to you...

Thanks, Rumple.
Fri 22/06/01 at 18:59
Regular
"I like cheese"
I take it you meant Red Dwarf?? :)

Anyway, what happens if someone's sick on the rollercoaster??

{:) Only kidding mate, good topic. Nice to see something that isn't to do with clocks on here.

Ant hints: Should only have ONE clock topic to every person, Tony!!
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:05
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Good Topic, but i'm waiting for the loop the loop!
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:17
Spider II wrote:
> Good Topic, but i'm waiting for the loop the loop!

Oops, forgot about that one. :)

Thanks for the replies.
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
Cassandra was my fav episode... isn't Ant Rumplestiltskin?
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:23
Regular
"You've upset me"
I Wrote:
Was my fav episode

Of that series anyway
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:43
Regular
"I like cheese"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> I Wrote:
Was my fav episode

>Of that series anyway

That one was good, but I liked the first one better.
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
"TheCoolNerd on Live"
Talking of rollercoasters, play Sonic Adventure 2!! U can read my small review of the game in this forum as I have had the game for 2 days and have played it extensively!
Fri 22/06/01 at 19:49
Regular
"You've upset me"
What's your favourite episode out of all the series?
Sat 23/06/01 at 09:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
I think my fav is in series...5 or 6, when they create 2 different Red Dwarfs. One good, one bad.

I especially liked the 'music and dance' the angelic dwarfers did!! LOL!

My other fav would be Back To Reality. Dwayne Dibley!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.