GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'.
Thu 12/11/09 at 03:56
Regular
After what seems like forever, Modern Warfare 2 is finally here, yet the wait has in fact only been a year. The series predecessor, Treyarch’s World at War, while undoubtedly rather good, felt like a retread over the very familiar World War 2 backdrop, and the online maps were almost indistinguishable at points; the same architecture and shading occurred throughout, and it felt like they couldn’t quite cohere things together as well as series progenitors Infinity Ward managed. Another year has passed, though, and Infinity Ward has returned for the sequel to their hugely successful Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

It’s safe to say that we’re back on terra firma once again with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a jacked up, adrenaline-infused rollercoaster ride of a game that’s got just about everything that any FPS-nut could want, with plenty of returning characters from the last Modern Warfare game to satisfy the die-hards too. Not to mention, the best part of all – the multiplayer – is back with a beastly vengeance, serving up another tasty palette of insanely addictive online carnage.

Although the plot is only perfunctory, a decent attempt is made here; across 18 missions, you are pitted as both the U.S. Rangers and a special squad called Task Force 141, who have the same goal, that is, to take down Makarov, the Russian tyrant who stepped up the mantle when you offed Zakhaev at the close of the last game. This allows a wealth of frantic and brutal set pieces, each one generally becoming more bombastic than the one before it, allowing for a loony and downright breathtakingly cinematic final confrontation.

The press quickly got a hold of the controversial Moscow airport mission that occurs early on in the game, and while Infinity Ward and Activision are clearly enjoying courting this controversy, it’s worth mentioning that this mission neither adds nor particularly subtracts towards what is by its own merits a superb game. There is an option to skip the particular level, where you’re an undercover terrorist who helps other terrorists massacre an airport, but you’re allowed to simply walk through the airport and not fire at the civilians if you want also. As with the last Modern Warfare, there are frantic chase sequences – on a snowmobile and a speedboat this time – as well as some rather slick twists and turns, that’ll have fans of the original game tearing their hair out, I imagine.

It’s worth noting, though, that the game is plagued with the same flaw as the previous titles; the single-player offering is just too damn short. A leisurely run through this game clocked in at roughly five hours, and although Infinity Ward have protested that the game is more about the multiplayer experience than anything, it does feel undeveloped in a way, and really rushes about from thread to thread. Nevertheless, what you get is scintillating; things barely take a breather throughout, and it really is nearly non-stop action. I can’t imagine any FPS fan not liking this; it’s extremely well presented cinematically, and the mission designs allow for some jaw-dropping set pieces. Completion of the game also unlocks a special Spec Ops mode which presents an additional challenge, as you attempt to fight through several extra scenarios with a team of soldiers.

Now, onto the meat and potatoes of the game – the multiplayer. Sceptical isn’t even the word to describe how I felt about whether this game could top the deep and immersive multiplayer of the original Modern Warfare, but miraculously it has at least managed to compete with it. Although nostalgia is a blinding factor, given how well we all know the classic Modern Warfare maps now, there’s the genuine feeling that maps here, like Terminal (the airport level turned into your own personal playground), are near-enough instant classics in themselves. The reward system has also been tremendously overhauled; customisation is even deeper and more involved than before, and things like martyrdom have been changed to further balance things (it can only be used in a “death streak” situation now). If there’s any reason to buy the game, this is surely it.

Visually, Modern Warfare 2 is a real looker; it is presented with the flair and panache of a Hollywood film, and some of the lighting effects are phenomenal, but at the same time, there are some surprisingly flat and bland textures here and there, which are quite jarring. However, generally speaking, this is an impressive achievement given the ambitious cinematic presentation, and one can overlook a few minor flaws. Aurally, the film is also great; The Dark Knight composer Hans Zimmer composes the soundtrack, while cult film stars such as Keith David turn in some impressive voice work. Again, as usual, the gun effects are stunning, particularly if you have surround sound, in which case there’s nothing quite like it.

Against tremendous expectations and insurmountable hype, Infinity Ward have crafted a game that lives up not only to this hype, but to the high standard set by the previous Modern Warfare game. Here we are left with a plot that yearns for another sequel, and gamers are left with a cinematic, if too brief single-player, and breathtakingly deep multiplayer offering that’ll make sure that this is one game you’ll be playing well into 2010. You owe it to yourself to buy this game.

Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 9/10
Sound: 10/10
Value: 9/10
Overall: 10/10

Thanks for reading,
Reefer
Sat 23/10/10 at 11:55
Regular
that is one of the best i have ever read have u played dead 2 rights at tall
Sun 21/03/10 at 22:52
Regular
"How Ironic"
I think the fact that the review was written shortly after the release of MW2 has something to do with it. Would have been written amidst all of the hype, and when it first came out, it was being announced the game of the decade. Although, playing it for a few weeks, you realise it's actually a very bland and shortlived game, both SP and MP.
Sun 21/03/10 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Marco Duarte wrote:
> This game is the best in the hole world
> :):)):):):):):):):):):):):):) Bye and don't message me back or i
> wil do something about it

OK Marco.... first lesson first .... 'hole' should be 'whole' .... second lesson second ... play the sp game and the mp game first and then make a post......and then tell us what you are going to do about it :-)

EDIT: The game is good, the review is excellent and worthy of a 'gad' for at least the style, but so much as been missed or over-looked..............
Fri 19/03/10 at 15:56
Regular
This game is the best in the hole world :):)):):):):):):):):):):):):) Bye and don't message me back or i wil do something about it
Thu 12/11/09 at 16:32
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Depends if you liked Mod 1 Alf.

The only thing I think it lacked was more to do in single player and a co-op split screen mode. Which it now does....
Thu 12/11/09 at 15:21
Regular
I find it hard to believe there is a game this good. Will find out for myself soon I guess.
Thu 12/11/09 at 12:47
Regular
Well I gave it a 9/10 because the single player is still very, very short.

But yes, the £26 deals they did were rather excellent. Was tempted to buy a few and flog them on E-Bay!
Thu 12/11/09 at 12:27
"possibly impossible"
Nice review, the storyline is making me laugh though, it's like Michael Bay does Modern Warfare with a bit of Roland Emmerich thrown in for good measure.
Thu 12/11/09 at 07:53
Regular
"THFC"
haha have to agree with pete, got mine cheap so mine was great value.

Nice review, not played the campaign so my review will be up once i have completed that!
Thu 12/11/09 at 07:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
Reefer wrote:

Value: 9/10

Think anyone who visited Makro,Sainsbury's or Morrison's on Tuesday morning may just consider it worthy of the extra point !.

Anyway,nice review mate,like most peeps on here I have bought it,will hopefully get chance to play it soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.