GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Halo 2 Vs. GTA 5 Vs. Metroid Prime 2 Vs. Pokemon etc...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/04 at 01:40
Regular
Well doesn't this Christmas look hot. With Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and the legions of third parties geering up one hell of a 2004 line up who'll enjoy the most sales is anyones guess.

Game: Halo 2
Format: X-box
Description: Halo sold the X-box when it was released, 2 years later and it still sells the X-box, and will do until Halo 2 takes the reigns. Every X-box owner in the world will have this come Christmas.
Potential pit fall: Online games occasionally pull off dissapointing sales.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 9/10 Commercially: 9/10

Game: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Format: Playstation 2
Description: Spiderman 2, Mafia, True Crime, Simpson's: Hit and Run, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Tony Hawks... the list of games influenced by GTA continues. GTA 3 blew everyone away, Vice City continued the success, the PS2's sales are still strong... who'd bet against it?
Potential pit fall: Are the public getting restless? How will Manhunt damage the success?
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 7/10 Commercially: 9/10

Game: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Format: Gamecube
Description: The critical acclaim following the original helped shoot Nintendo's premier First Person Adventure to the top spot in March 2003. Can a multiplayer mode help it stand up against such stiff opposition?
Potential pit fall: The Gamecube just isn't popular enough.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 9/10 Commercially: 4/10

Game: Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green
Format: Gameboy Advance
Description: Pokemon, like GTA, is a way for a company to print money. After selling 4 million in Japan alone and being bundled with a wireless adapter it looks certain to light up the charts. Especially as they're re-makes of the original craze starters.
Potential pit fall: Are we getting bored? Kids don't have that much money.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 7/10 Sales wise: 8/10

Game: Gran Turismo 4
Format: PS2
Description: The award winning and system selling racer hits the PS2. Hype from a special released demo should help push the game towards the top end of the sales charts.
Potential pit fall: With Project Gotham trouncing it and sales constantly sliding has the GT franchise lost its grip?
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 8/10 Commercially: 8/10

Game: Doom 3
Format: X-box/PC
Description: The game that helped spawn a first person shooting obsession. Gorgeous graphics and years of hype ensures success.
Potential pit fall: Released too early to impact heavily on the Christmas charts.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 9/10 Commercially: 8/10

Game: Half Life 2
Format: X-box/PC
Description: Mega release of the game PC owners swear by. Likely to succeed on the PC more than the X-box, this title has been anticipated by casual and hardcore gamers alike.
Potential pit fall: If it's set for a September release it'll be too early.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 8/10 Commercially: 8/10

Game: Goldeneye: Rogue Agent
Format: PS2/X-box/Gamecube
Description: EA's biggest Christmas hitter knocks Lord of the Rings and FIFA aside. Goldeneye was massive on the N64, the game is looking nice and according to those in the know plays well too. Could this just sneak by Halo and GTA to claim the most money?
Potential pit fall: Second Bond title this year, starting to lose popularity.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 7/10 Commercially: 9/10

Game: Paper Mario 2
Description: Paper Mario may have come and went without even a hello but this is likely to perform much better. Mario is an iconic figure and an ideal character to challenge for the Christmas top spot. Eye catching and enjoyable with whopping sales in Japan how can it fail to succeed?
Potential pit fall: Childish appeal mixed with Mario's falling popularity.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 8/10 Commercially: 6/10

Game: Pikmin 2
Description: Pikmin sold 2.8 million worldwide with strong sales everywhere. Now with multiplayer mode and lack of criticism this time round may provide a shock
Potential pit fall: Released too early (october), not popular enough, kiddy.
Christmas' hottest title?: Critically: 9/10 Commercially: 6/10

Those are the definitive favorites but watch out for maybe a surprise new hit to rival the big guns:

Viewtiful Joe 2:

Now with a PS2 edition can Capcom's fantastic hidden gem capture gamers hearts?

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age:

Set to be the best Ring's game to date, shame it's too late to cash in on the films... but oh wait isn't there that final DVD still to be released...

FIFA 2005 and Pro Evolution Soccor:

Football is becoming more popular by the day. Konami and EA are guarenteed success but how much?

Need For Speed Underground 2:

Last years Christmas winner has more stiff competition this time round. But if you can beat Mario Kart how'll GT stop ya?

Donkey Konga:

Enjoyed some success in Japan, can it create a massive eye toy effect? No didn't think so.

Prince of Persia 2:

Ubi-soft's critically acclaimed original sold like a led weight last year. But with a darker look is it time for the Prince series to get the recognition it deserves?

The Urbz:

The new look sims could well appeal to a new generation not hooked up on violent or kiddy titles.
Tue 17/08/04 at 21:15
Regular
Except that it is growing on me since I saw the screenshots in the latest mags.

I might give it a try and flog it if its pap.
Tue 17/08/04 at 20:55
Regular
"~DPG~"
Has anyone heard the new Goldeneye storyline? Well here goes:

007, yes, James Bond, turns to the bad side. In a fight in loses an eyeball. Oh, surprise, surprise, it gets replaced with a 'Goldeneye' which has special powers like laser ect.

I really didn't make that up. Its true. This game has 'DONT BUY ME' written all over it.
Sun 15/08/04 at 15:44
Regular
Hmmmm well NGC hated Underfire and Nightfire and they are hyping up the latest offering.
Sat 14/08/04 at 20:19
Regular
"Gundammmmm!"
Dringo wrote:
> I thought Everything or Nothing did rather well?
>
> And Rogue Agent has been given a lot of coverage and praise.

In Nintendo press maybe, all the other mags basically look for negatives every time they feature it...OPS2 did a massive feature after EA bought the front cover and subsequent 2 pages to advertise it...

Everything Or Nothing got better than expected scores but it was discounted within two weeks and can now easily be bought new for 19.99, second hand for less. Sales were not what was expected if I remember the article I was reading correctly, though GC sales were the closest to the expected - dare I say because there are less similar games?

EDIT: Another thing is that if you look back then Bond games minus Bond have always done very very badly. Like 007 racing.
Sat 14/08/04 at 20:13
Regular
Rickoss wrote:
> I didn't like Half-Life either. I thought it was horribly overrated.

Wooo, people know it's liek the most horribly overrated game ever.
But Halflife 2, I couldn't tell you about, as I've seen nothing of it.
Sat 14/08/04 at 19:20
"Hi"
I'm most looking forward to Paper Mario2. YAY
Sat 14/08/04 at 19:16
Regular
Wherever I read them...

I dunno, i'm sorry probably it'll get great reviews.
Sat 14/08/04 at 18:55
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> After criticisms of the game emerging throughout special previews I
> presumed the game may not live up to the hype and recieve a critical
> back lash.

Pah.

Where?
Sat 14/08/04 at 18:38
Regular
I thought Everything or Nothing did rather well?

And Rogue Agent has been given a lot of coverage and praise.
Sat 14/08/04 at 18:37
Regular
After criticisms of the game emerging throughout special previews I presumed the game may not live up to the hype and recieve a critical back lash.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.