GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"war of the video games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/06/01 at 20:54
Regular
as you all know, the dreamcast will soon be no more.
here is why i think it has come to the end of the 128bit dreamcast.

not to long ago sega was booming it was at its prime with the the master system 1 and 2 mega drive, and the amazing game gear. the game gear was so more advanced than its rival the nintendo gameboy, as it was in full colour and had many add-ons including a tv transmitter allowing you to watch teresteral,and if your in the right place cable tv. whilst the gameboy was black and white and the only add ons were magnifing classes.the mega drive was also doing well but nintendo brought out a console with the exact same atributes and capabilities, but because it was NEW people wanted it.
after the mega drive sega dissapered for a while, only releasing arcade and pc games.
then in the mid 90's around the same time as the sony playstation was revealed, a new sega console called the sega saturn was announced to the world. as before the to consoles had the same capabilities (32BIT).
i persenaly thought that the saturn would raign supream, as i knew frompast experiences that sega had the ability to provide a quality gaming experience in the home,arcade or on portable systems. another reasen i thought this is that at the time i only new sony for its stereos , tvs etc not for video games.
but when it came down to the release of the consoles sony boomed on, whilst sega was left on the shelfs.one reasen for this is the quality of the games, sony had some really good games available for instents, crash bandicoot, tomb raider and cool borders. but sega didnt really have any classics.
then segas rival from the past come out with a console with twice the capabilities of both the playstation and saturn (64bit), this console would be origianly named as the nintendo 64 or N64. where did nintendo come from, well basiacly they were coworking on the playstation with sony but when the psx was near completion sony got rid of nintendo. so in a act of revenge, nintendo released a console more powerfull than the psx which they were shaw would beat sony and kill of sega.
well one of those things happened, well atleast we thought it did, sega once again dissapered from console gaming.
the n64 did not beat sony however, actualy sony beat nintendo.n64 magazines wouldnt atmit that the n64 was beaten, so instead they took to taking the mick out of sony calling the console the sony graystation and gaystation etc,these magazines are still doing it even now.
where were sega when sony and nintendo were fighting it out for the best games console, well they were back to the drawing board, designing their next generation console the sega dreamcast which would have at the time an unbelievable
128bits.
naturaly sony and nintendo started to sweat.
in retaliation to this sony announced a next generation playstation also with 128 bit. then soon nintendo announced their next gen console.
a new war was brueing between the three games companies. but who will be the survivor, the winner, the best.
sega made the first move by releasing their console first, which featured internet access.
this was ever an incredably smart or an incredably dumb move for sega.on one hand they were the first out so many people who couldnt wait for another next gen console brought one, also most saturn owners brought one.
but on the other hand there wernt many saturn owners out there and many people wanted to wait for another console:

playstation owners and supporters waited the avaival of the most apreciated playstation 2.

and nintendo owners and supports waited for what at that time was called the nintendo dolphin.

even with advanced next gen gaming and internet access the dreacast becan to suffer and was outsold by the playstation and N64. as time went by the dreamcast lowered in price and with more offers to help sell the failing dreamcast.
then the playstation 2 finaly made its way onto the shores of the uk. with a built in dvd player and many add ons to come including a hard drive and internet equipment. it also brought with it many new and updated versions of hit psx games including tekken tag and ridge racer it also had some new original game like ssx.
almost a year after the release of the PS2 the dreamcast droped to £99 with 4 games.
the dreamcast was doing bad and the now named nintendo game cube wasnt even out.
sega had a few things to think about, their conclusion was to sadely back out of the hardwear business and instead support there rivals by bringing out hit dreamcast games for the PS2.

has sega lost the war?
only time will tell. but i would not be surprised if we see the return of sega with a new more powerful console.

it also looks like sony are preparing for the game cube by bringing down the price £30 to £269, it looks like the war is not over yet, not by a long shot. or is it the xbox they are weary of?

another war will start this friday when the amazing 32bit gameboy advanced hits the shelfs and will compete with the mini portable playstation the PSONE. although many people have playstation games the can use on the PSONE, i think the GBA will be number one. Why? well the psone is £100 plus the portable screen costing £100 but the GBA is only £90. which would you prefer?

And finally:
when your all home playing on your playstations, N64's , PSONE'S , GBA I want you to pause for a moment and think about your sega deremcast that is now rotting in your attick and remember them games you used to play, quake 3, virtua tennis, jet set radio and more.

but i am sure that sega will rise again, like they have on many accasions and lets hope that next time they have a bit more succes like they had in the past.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 21/06/01 at 20:54
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
as you all know, the dreamcast will soon be no more.
here is why i think it has come to the end of the 128bit dreamcast.

not to long ago sega was booming it was at its prime with the the master system 1 and 2 mega drive, and the amazing game gear. the game gear was so more advanced than its rival the nintendo gameboy, as it was in full colour and had many add-ons including a tv transmitter allowing you to watch teresteral,and if your in the right place cable tv. whilst the gameboy was black and white and the only add ons were magnifing classes.the mega drive was also doing well but nintendo brought out a console with the exact same atributes and capabilities, but because it was NEW people wanted it.
after the mega drive sega dissapered for a while, only releasing arcade and pc games.
then in the mid 90's around the same time as the sony playstation was revealed, a new sega console called the sega saturn was announced to the world. as before the to consoles had the same capabilities (32BIT).
i persenaly thought that the saturn would raign supream, as i knew frompast experiences that sega had the ability to provide a quality gaming experience in the home,arcade or on portable systems. another reasen i thought this is that at the time i only new sony for its stereos , tvs etc not for video games.
but when it came down to the release of the consoles sony boomed on, whilst sega was left on the shelfs.one reasen for this is the quality of the games, sony had some really good games available for instents, crash bandicoot, tomb raider and cool borders. but sega didnt really have any classics.
then segas rival from the past come out with a console with twice the capabilities of both the playstation and saturn (64bit), this console would be origianly named as the nintendo 64 or N64. where did nintendo come from, well basiacly they were coworking on the playstation with sony but when the psx was near completion sony got rid of nintendo. so in a act of revenge, nintendo released a console more powerfull than the psx which they were shaw would beat sony and kill of sega.
well one of those things happened, well atleast we thought it did, sega once again dissapered from console gaming.
the n64 did not beat sony however, actualy sony beat nintendo.n64 magazines wouldnt atmit that the n64 was beaten, so instead they took to taking the mick out of sony calling the console the sony graystation and gaystation etc,these magazines are still doing it even now.
where were sega when sony and nintendo were fighting it out for the best games console, well they were back to the drawing board, designing their next generation console the sega dreamcast which would have at the time an unbelievable
128bits.
naturaly sony and nintendo started to sweat.
in retaliation to this sony announced a next generation playstation also with 128 bit. then soon nintendo announced their next gen console.
a new war was brueing between the three games companies. but who will be the survivor, the winner, the best.
sega made the first move by releasing their console first, which featured internet access.
this was ever an incredably smart or an incredably dumb move for sega.on one hand they were the first out so many people who couldnt wait for another next gen console brought one, also most saturn owners brought one.
but on the other hand there wernt many saturn owners out there and many people wanted to wait for another console:

playstation owners and supporters waited the avaival of the most apreciated playstation 2.

and nintendo owners and supports waited for what at that time was called the nintendo dolphin.

even with advanced next gen gaming and internet access the dreacast becan to suffer and was outsold by the playstation and N64. as time went by the dreamcast lowered in price and with more offers to help sell the failing dreamcast.
then the playstation 2 finaly made its way onto the shores of the uk. with a built in dvd player and many add ons to come including a hard drive and internet equipment. it also brought with it many new and updated versions of hit psx games including tekken tag and ridge racer it also had some new original game like ssx.
almost a year after the release of the PS2 the dreamcast droped to £99 with 4 games.
the dreamcast was doing bad and the now named nintendo game cube wasnt even out.
sega had a few things to think about, their conclusion was to sadely back out of the hardwear business and instead support there rivals by bringing out hit dreamcast games for the PS2.

has sega lost the war?
only time will tell. but i would not be surprised if we see the return of sega with a new more powerful console.

it also looks like sony are preparing for the game cube by bringing down the price £30 to £269, it looks like the war is not over yet, not by a long shot. or is it the xbox they are weary of?

another war will start this friday when the amazing 32bit gameboy advanced hits the shelfs and will compete with the mini portable playstation the PSONE. although many people have playstation games the can use on the PSONE, i think the GBA will be number one. Why? well the psone is £100 plus the portable screen costing £100 but the GBA is only £90. which would you prefer?

And finally:
when your all home playing on your playstations, N64's , PSONE'S , GBA I want you to pause for a moment and think about your sega deremcast that is now rotting in your attick and remember them games you used to play, quake 3, virtua tennis, jet set radio and more.

but i am sure that sega will rise again, like they have on many accasions and lets hope that next time they have a bit more succes like they had in the past.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.