GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Speedtester stats - but what do they mean?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/11/09 at 16:12
Regular
I just did a BT speed test and noticed two new lines in the results.

The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.83:21.46:60.71 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Can someone please translate into English.

Thanks.

Neil
Thu 12/11/09 at 10:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I thought that may have got to you ;) I might genuinely even do an evil laugh. Trolling? I hate that phrase. Makes me think of Lord of the Rings.

Of course I don't know everything. Does anyone? Don't even think BT do to be honest. That was my point "Who knows what BT do etc" Just because they give out notes, doesn't mean they tell us everything.

You have to understand though, we understand enough to do our job, and provide our customers with what we offer. But the extra stuff I end up researching is all just that...extra. I try my best as I'm sure you know.

I knew nothing of BB before starting here by the way. so compared to you I think my knowledge is a drop in the ocean.

The Google thing was a joke. In fact it was more a dig at myself if anything :P

Still getting back on subject I notice Eccles has put some valid information which I missed. Nice ;D
Thu 12/11/09 at 10:10
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> Time to let Hmmm.... go and Google it and then pass it
> off as his own ;) (and even a :P )

It's great when the Staff do the trolling!
and I thought Eccles was above this

My words were: "It's all related to Qos and Traffic Shaping."
Which I'm happy with.

I quoted the BT FAQ, saying it was from BT so I would hardly call that 'passing it off as my own'?!!!!

Warhunt wrote:
> I'm not going to answer in this post purely because of Hmmm....
> trying to wind me up or something :(

You can't have it both ways!
In this thread you said "What BTw do is a mystery..." so I linked to their press statement regarding costs as this seemed relevant to me.

And you replied with:
"I understand how it works and have read all BT's notes cheers" - so knowing that, it only seemed right to mention that you were no doubt already familiar with BT's SIN I linked to in this thread!

I'm happy to say I haven't read all of BT's notes and am still picking things up as I go.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 12/11/09 at 09:48
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Neither. They simply meant that 17.83 % of the traffic passed through to your connection was weighted at Sub Best Effort, 21.46% as Standard and 60.71% at best. If a majority of the traffic was Sub Best effort then that would be bad as your traffic would be given the lowest priority when the network was busy. I assume this would mean that you would experience higher latency.
I'm not sure this bit of the BT speedtest has any relevancy unless your ISP (us) have paid for this QoS, which we haven't. I think the idea is that you could pay to have PBE enable for a certain amount of time if you wanted good performance for somehing like a video conference, which would require the traffic to be high priority.

That's my non-Googled answer anyway, I'll let Hmmm or someone else do the searching!
Thu 12/11/09 at 09:13
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I'm not going to answer in this post purely because of Hmmm.... trying to wind me up or something :(

Incidentally whether they are good or not, I'll have to shrug my shoulders. Time to let Hmmm.... go and Google it and then pass it off as his own ;) (and even a :P )
Wed 11/11/09 at 19:19
Regular
So...

Are those figures good/bad...?

N.
Wed 11/11/09 at 17:33
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
On WBC connections ISPs have the ability to set the traffic priority depending upon available bandwidth (at an additional cost). Basically the speed test is giving you a ratio showing you result against what it could be if you had any of the 'best effort' levels set on your connection.
Wed 11/11/09 at 17:31
"Are you sure?"
I'll let Freeola give the complete answer (Warhunt said earlier today he reads all "BT's notes"! :¬P

It's all related to Qos and Traffic Shaping.

The BT FAQ explains it like this:

The throughput of Best Effort (BE) classes* achieved during the test is - 5:20:75 (SBE:NBE:PBE)- These figures represent the percentage ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE, and Priority BE marked traffic through the network. Total download speed achieved during the Best Effort test is sum of these three types of Best Effort traffic that were passed through the network for your broadband connection.

sententiously BT do make you lol !

Warhunt will recognise this BT document Section 5.11 ;¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 11/11/09 at 17:09
Regular
"How Ironic"
I never post in the technical forum, but i found this on another site. Hope it helps.

"There are 3 classes of best effort traffic, each given a different level of priority depending upon available bandwidth
Priority (PBE)
Normal (NBE)
Sub (SBE)
If the network was running under a full load Priority will receive 75% of available bandwidth, normal = 20% and sub = 5%. If traffic in a higher priority is not using all the designated bandwidth, then lower ranked services will also be able to utilise it."
Wed 11/11/09 at 16:12
Regular
I just did a BT speed test and noticed two new lines in the results.

The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 17.83:21.46:60.71 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Can someone please translate into English.

Thanks.

Neil

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.