GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Eve of the War"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/08/04 at 21:30
Regular
The Eve of the War

No one could’ve believed in the last years of the first half decade of the twenty-first century, that human affairs were being watched by the developers of our future. Few men even dreamt of the possibility of Edgy re-using the War of the Worlds musical edition introduction for the umpteenth time when it has come to the eve of a battle of some kind. And yet, as time draws on, minds immeasurably superior to ours start the balls rolling, and slowly and surely they draw their plans against us.

Der der derrrrrrrr….der der derrrrrr der-derrrr-der-derrr –der der der derrrrrr

That’s right, thanks to the impatient public, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are on the eve of another war. A war where blood will be spilt, a company will either make big gains or terrible embarrassments, and us, the gamers, will be reaping the benefits of exclusivity deals and special promotions. But unlike the eve of most wars where there is peace and quiet throughout the land, where the only thing to stir at night is a child with a nightmare, there is a different cycle in progress and it has just begun.

It begins with the sudden price drops of the current generation of consoles. As you may be aware, Sony are to be dropping the price of their Playstation 2 to £105 and Microsoft are soon to be dropping their Xbox to a competitive price to compete. This isn’t because the consoles aren’t selling. Sure, they are at a bit of a slow down as is always the case in the summer, but the sales aren’t dead. It is because they know that now is the time to appeal to those who previously couldn’t afford the current generation of consoles. They’ll be able to pick up a console and the best of its games for a rather reasonable price now and they’ll become fans of that system. They’ll then be drawn to that company’s next system when the “Playstation 3”, “Xbox 2” and “Revolution” are released.

However, this time there is another war about to take place. For the first time since the Game Gear, Nintendo are facing a really critical test. Can they hold the handheld market? The market which has seen many competitors fall before they have even entered western shores. The market which Nintendo have dominated with great games and great machines since 1989. Sony are pulling out the big guns by releasing a system to compete with the Game Boy. Nintendo have already countered this attack with the Nintendo DS. A handheld system designed to wow the gamers by its abilities, more so than copying a top of the range mobile phone device. In fact, promising voice interaction, wireless multiplay (including over the net via WiFi), touch screen capabilities and dual screen abilities, the Nintendo DS is like an introduction to Nintendo’s future in the games market. Instead of going down the same road with a faster car, we’re taking a new route altogether. However, Sony are being typical Sony by releasing a handheld that plays movies and has graphics similar to that of the Playstation 2, or that’s what they say. And to take the mickey even further, they’re forcing you to buy memory cards, something that handheld gaming hasn’t ever used before on a popular format. This is proof enough to me that Sony are only finding new ways to capture the rainbow of paper from your wallets whilst Nintendo are working in the entertainment business. Sure, Nintendo want your money, but they’re not going to grab it by unnecessary means, e.g. Vertical stands that cause console problems, or horizontal stands which serve no purpose whatsoever.

But this war isn’t completely unusual. The rumours have started now as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo introduce tiny specs which may or may not appear in the final machines. We have already experienced rumours that Microsoft may be reverting to memory cards, or that they’ll be utilising some new technology of their own with high-capacity flash memory. Nintendo may be using backwards compatibility, whilst their controllers may integrate a touch screen for use in multiplayer titles without having the need for four (or more) handheld consoles. And Sony’s machine may have better graphics. Well, what can I say, imagination to the max for Sony. Anyway, this is where the rumours are being taken literally, where people get all excited by made up ‘facts’ until they’re eventually proven wrong. I don’t like to sound like a smart ass, but remember the ‘StarCube’ rumour that was on the internet and in magazines as the new name for “Project Dolphin”? Well I continuously said all along that Nintendo had never once referred to their project as StarCube, and although the names are more than slightly similar, I was right. However, this is all going to happen again when it comes to Nintendo’s next console. There are even members of other forums saying, “I’ve just heard of Project Dolphine!” Yes, they probably have searched google and looked at the most obscure web pages on the internet about “New Nintendo console”

And finally, to top it off, we have the return of the console war topics. Forum members around the world suddenly feel the need to hook themselves up with a console just so they can argue that it is the best to complete strangers. This can be harmless fun, but some of the more moronic forum users tend to resort to petty insults over such small and insignificant matters. It then escalates until someone really feels hurt by what is said, and that is when they need some sort of help. This only happens in extreme cases, as most times posters tend to deny feeling any sort of hurt from an insulter. Really they should be able to shrug it off, but some just can’t.

So, we’re on the eve of war. It may be a couple years before we see the fruits of the war about to take place, but the effects of the waiting have just begun. I see the next few years becoming very interesting indeed.

By the way, it was natural causes that got them in the end. The common cold got them.
Sun 29/08/04 at 11:03
Regular
Aye - used to have that on PC. Still got it but it wont play on any version of Windows - it had to run on DOS :S
Sat 28/08/04 at 22:46
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Edgy wrote:
> If you like Rugby games, get rid of EAs offering and get World
> Championship Rugby. Much better, players don't look like blow up
> dolls and it's by the people who made Jonah Lomu Rugby - class game.
>
> Plus WCR is on Xbox - which is even better.

Ah i remember the days of Jonah Lomu Rugby dam that was such a classic.
Sun 22/08/04 at 23:59
Regular
If you like Rugby games, get rid of EAs offering and get World Championship Rugby. Much better, players don't look like blow up dolls and it's by the people who made Jonah Lomu Rugby - class game.

Plus WCR is on Xbox - which is even better.
Sat 21/08/04 at 22:51
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Edgy wrote:
> That's what I really dislike about Sony. Their lack of effort.
>
> So far, there are only two games I spend more than five minutes
> playing on my PS2. They are Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (which I won a
> promotional version (full game but in a CD Single case with no manual
> and "not for resale" printed on the disc) of when I worked
> for Game, and Transformers which I only wanted for the free DVD a
> retailer were giving away with recently.
>
> However, when PES4 is out on Xbox, I'll only really play one game on
> PS2...

You play a game on your PS2? I now reserved myself to using it as an extra loud dvd player(actually thats a lie i like to play rugby but thats it). I really looking forward to seeing what Sony going to do next time. Didn't they promise decent online play a couple of years before they finally got around to it?
Sat 21/08/04 at 22:32
Regular
That's what I really dislike about Sony. Their lack of effort.

So far, there are only two games I spend more than five minutes playing on my PS2. They are Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (which I won a promotional version (full game but in a CD Single case with no manual and "not for resale" printed on the disc) of when I worked for Game, and Transformers which I only wanted for the free DVD a retailer were giving away with recently.

However, when PES4 is out on Xbox, I'll only really play one game on PS2...
Fri 20/08/04 at 19:00
Regular
"ProGolfer"
I personally think Sony have done that themselves, I mean when Microsoft reduced the price of the Xbox they gave the customers who originally brought it at full whack 2 games and a controller free. This making the customer feeling very grateful, unlike Sony who just screw you over when you PS2 breaks and they charge you £60 to replace it.

Saying this i do actually really like my PS2 but its in no league with the Xbox and GC. Sony didnt really put much effort in to the system in terms of graphics and speed, again i have the feeling they were thinking about profits. Where as MIcrosoft crammed a small pc in there it seems and Nintendo made there console affordable to all.
Fri 20/08/04 at 18:29
Regular
I understand what you mean - Sony's PS2 only sold so well because the Playstation was good enough to grab the gamers attentions and people wanted more of the same with its image.

This meant that despite the crap launch (in terms of only a few PS2s being available and most of them being faulty, as well as the games being crap - according to various crap TV shows of the time) the Playstation 2 managed to sell to thousands upon thousands of fans of the first Playstation.

Hopefully, Nintendo and Microsoft will have learnt from that and will have tried to sway people away from the 'dark side' of gaming.
Thu 19/08/04 at 23:03
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Really good post edgy great read! I couldnt agree more we are on the edge of war, i would like to say though how all three consoles made it through the last war, even though it may have picked up a bruise or scratch on the way. I do belive this will be a better time for gamers, all three companys have had the oportunity to look at the other consoles and take what bits they like, really looking forward to what each compnay has to offer. Although i this battle has been won for me by Microsoft i have loved the Xbox, but i wont by all means purchase an Xbox 2. I want to see what the competition has to offer.

I do agree with your ideas about how they have lowered there prices get as many people to join on the bandwagon as possible, by doing so i cannot see how they cannot make the machines backwards compatible. It makes common sense to do so and an extra reason to stick with the company. I do feel though that the PS3 wont be as amazing as the PS2 "wow" factor as people have seen the Nintendo and Xbox which beat the PS2 by a long shot in graphics i only feel they got so many more sales than Nintendo and Microsoft because of image and peer pressure. Plus the small fact of how amazing the playstation was. But i think people will be swapping side in the next war, will be a lot closer. If you know what or undestood any of that.

P.S they do gads for chatforum anymore?
Thu 19/08/04 at 21:30
Regular
The Eve of the War

No one could’ve believed in the last years of the first half decade of the twenty-first century, that human affairs were being watched by the developers of our future. Few men even dreamt of the possibility of Edgy re-using the War of the Worlds musical edition introduction for the umpteenth time when it has come to the eve of a battle of some kind. And yet, as time draws on, minds immeasurably superior to ours start the balls rolling, and slowly and surely they draw their plans against us.

Der der derrrrrrrr….der der derrrrrr der-derrrr-der-derrr –der der der derrrrrr

That’s right, thanks to the impatient public, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony are on the eve of another war. A war where blood will be spilt, a company will either make big gains or terrible embarrassments, and us, the gamers, will be reaping the benefits of exclusivity deals and special promotions. But unlike the eve of most wars where there is peace and quiet throughout the land, where the only thing to stir at night is a child with a nightmare, there is a different cycle in progress and it has just begun.

It begins with the sudden price drops of the current generation of consoles. As you may be aware, Sony are to be dropping the price of their Playstation 2 to £105 and Microsoft are soon to be dropping their Xbox to a competitive price to compete. This isn’t because the consoles aren’t selling. Sure, they are at a bit of a slow down as is always the case in the summer, but the sales aren’t dead. It is because they know that now is the time to appeal to those who previously couldn’t afford the current generation of consoles. They’ll be able to pick up a console and the best of its games for a rather reasonable price now and they’ll become fans of that system. They’ll then be drawn to that company’s next system when the “Playstation 3”, “Xbox 2” and “Revolution” are released.

However, this time there is another war about to take place. For the first time since the Game Gear, Nintendo are facing a really critical test. Can they hold the handheld market? The market which has seen many competitors fall before they have even entered western shores. The market which Nintendo have dominated with great games and great machines since 1989. Sony are pulling out the big guns by releasing a system to compete with the Game Boy. Nintendo have already countered this attack with the Nintendo DS. A handheld system designed to wow the gamers by its abilities, more so than copying a top of the range mobile phone device. In fact, promising voice interaction, wireless multiplay (including over the net via WiFi), touch screen capabilities and dual screen abilities, the Nintendo DS is like an introduction to Nintendo’s future in the games market. Instead of going down the same road with a faster car, we’re taking a new route altogether. However, Sony are being typical Sony by releasing a handheld that plays movies and has graphics similar to that of the Playstation 2, or that’s what they say. And to take the mickey even further, they’re forcing you to buy memory cards, something that handheld gaming hasn’t ever used before on a popular format. This is proof enough to me that Sony are only finding new ways to capture the rainbow of paper from your wallets whilst Nintendo are working in the entertainment business. Sure, Nintendo want your money, but they’re not going to grab it by unnecessary means, e.g. Vertical stands that cause console problems, or horizontal stands which serve no purpose whatsoever.

But this war isn’t completely unusual. The rumours have started now as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo introduce tiny specs which may or may not appear in the final machines. We have already experienced rumours that Microsoft may be reverting to memory cards, or that they’ll be utilising some new technology of their own with high-capacity flash memory. Nintendo may be using backwards compatibility, whilst their controllers may integrate a touch screen for use in multiplayer titles without having the need for four (or more) handheld consoles. And Sony’s machine may have better graphics. Well, what can I say, imagination to the max for Sony. Anyway, this is where the rumours are being taken literally, where people get all excited by made up ‘facts’ until they’re eventually proven wrong. I don’t like to sound like a smart ass, but remember the ‘StarCube’ rumour that was on the internet and in magazines as the new name for “Project Dolphin”? Well I continuously said all along that Nintendo had never once referred to their project as StarCube, and although the names are more than slightly similar, I was right. However, this is all going to happen again when it comes to Nintendo’s next console. There are even members of other forums saying, “I’ve just heard of Project Dolphine!” Yes, they probably have searched google and looked at the most obscure web pages on the internet about “New Nintendo console”

And finally, to top it off, we have the return of the console war topics. Forum members around the world suddenly feel the need to hook themselves up with a console just so they can argue that it is the best to complete strangers. This can be harmless fun, but some of the more moronic forum users tend to resort to petty insults over such small and insignificant matters. It then escalates until someone really feels hurt by what is said, and that is when they need some sort of help. This only happens in extreme cases, as most times posters tend to deny feeling any sort of hurt from an insulter. Really they should be able to shrug it off, but some just can’t.

So, we’re on the eve of war. It may be a couple years before we see the fruits of the war about to take place, but the effects of the waiting have just begun. I see the next few years becoming very interesting indeed.

By the way, it was natural causes that got them in the end. The common cold got them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.