GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BT Boradband issues (can anyone help?)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/12/06 at 16:03
"possibly impossible"
Damn BT Broadband connection keeps getting slow, it's not even the congestion, it seems to be the line itself.

Was up at 2,100kbps this morning, then down at 448 kbps again later today, so took master socket apart, checked the wires (which seemed fine), put it back together and now it's up to 882kbps, not as fast as this morning, but better than it was.

Not sure if it's my wiring or what, but I get a constant speed of 2,500kpbs from the test socket in my master socket and very varied speed from the master socket itself.

Should there be that much difference between the test socket (located inside the master socket) and the main master socket? Why does the connection speed (from the Bt Home Hub main page) keep lowering. It's not the download speed, it's the speed at which the line is running as far as I know. The download speed obviously varies with traffic, but this should remain constant (at least, I think it should).

Anyone have an idea?
Thu 21/12/06 at 23:20
"possibly impossible"
No, they'd need to go through my router and I'm taking the reading directly from the Downstream speed on my Hub tools.
Thu 21/12/06 at 23:05
Regular
"8==="
You on an open wireless setup?

Perhaps someone else is using your line without your knowledge?
Thu 21/12/06 at 22:59
"possibly impossible"
Well, tested with and without, it does seem that something on my extension is lowering the bandwidth.

Strangely, every day I turn on the PC and it has around 320-400kbps to start with. As soon as I take the router plug out the wall and put it back in + reconnect it shoots back up to the 900s.

This must mean something that uses the phone is knocking the speed back down permanently until the router takes precidence. It's either got to be Sky or my Answerphone, they're the only things plugged in, the phone is plugged in to the router...
Thu 21/12/06 at 10:30
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
plasmahead mods 2 forums but he's never posted?
Wed 20/12/06 at 17:20
"possibly impossible"
Machie wrote:
> Next forum we'll create, Web Design, PC &
> Internet
=) for threads like this and lots more from me.
> I posted in it a lot back on SR, a favourite of mine along with
> the Movies forum.

I did think that when I posted this, made a few myself on that forum. But not sure how many posts it would get, or if anyone would be there to monitor it unless they change the 1 mod to 1 forum rule...
Wed 20/12/06 at 17:16
Regular
Next forum we'll create, Web Design, PC & Internet =) for threads like this and lots more from me. I posted in it a lot back on SR, a favourite of mine along with the Movies forum.
Wed 20/12/06 at 17:09
Regular
"YTS Primate"
They own the socket and the wiring going into it from outside but the face plate that plugs into it is your to do with what you will.
Wed 20/12/06 at 17:02
"possibly impossible"
Ah, always thought BT owned the Master Socket as well and everything after that was my problem.
Wed 20/12/06 at 17:00
Regular
"YTS Primate"
It's Perfectly legal to change the face plate and ok with BT. Anything from and including the face plate at the test socket onwards is yours and all you have to do is change the face plate. Even if you have a old style BT socket without the face plate you can do an install that’s still legal which I think is explained on the link I have given.

Hope that helps.
Wed 20/12/06 at 16:58
"possibly impossible"
Thanks, anyway. It may be my wiring in the house, the Sky box or phone line then, I guess, though I have the phone going through the router anyway.

I'll try it all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.